Best Beer w BBQ?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Newkidroundhere, Feb 4, 2013.

1. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I want to relive that meal with a black note & more brisket! YEAH BUDDY!

2. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Didnt even think of a rye beer. Thats a great option too I bet. never paired one up with bbq yet.

3. BSzucs

BSzucs May 15, 2011 California

Totally agree. Saying "BBQ" is WAY too broad. Not only are there tons of different foods that can be BBQ'd a variety of ways, they can also have different spice rubs etc! Is BBQ a hot dog, smoked ribs, smoked brisket, or my carne asada tacos? lol!

As for my favorite pairing, I tried this last month and really liked it. I did a filet Mignon from whole foods and a Blue Chimay.

Wando52 likes this.
  4. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Feb 16, 2012 Texas

Amen!

5. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

False --- BBQ and grilling are different. BBQ is smoking meat low and slow.

Hot dogs and your carne asada tacos are grilled. Smoked ribs, smoked briskets, etc. (regardless of rub) are BBQ.

6. BSzucs

Regardless if I lumped in BBQ and grilling, BBQ is STILL too big of a category to *always* enjoy the same beer with. I knew they were different categories, but the average person will consider them the same category, unless you're an avid BBQ and griller.

I can smoke brisket, pork shoulder, a ham, a turkey, etc - most of which will have pretty drastically different flavor profiles before the spice rub; add the spice rub and it is even more of a variety of tastes.

Hdredfern likes this.
  7. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

We are agreed --- no single style of beer matches with the diversity of BBQ. Cheers.

8. BSzucs

Plus.. how do you know I am not slow smoking my carne asada!!

haha!

Cheers!

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  9. Genuine

Genuine May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I love brown ales and porters with BBQ. The roasty, nutty flavor of those beers can really pair well with the smoked meat.

10. amanofbeer

amanofbeer Jun 24, 2010 Illinois

It's all about that scotch ale. Very malty, semi sweet, and complex. Compliments all of the best smoked polishes, brisket, and pork.

11. mbratt93

mbratt93 Aug 1, 2014 New York

I always like an IPA or Brown Ale with my BBQ

12. Bigrock

Bigrock Feb 4, 2013 Texas

Hmmm...seem to be in the minority here, but a crisp cold pils does it for me.

red94tt likes this.
  13. RCongdon974

RCongdon974 May 5, 2016 Nevada

I like pale ales with BBQ.

14. Scott17taylor

Scott17taylor Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Brown ales compliment the smokiness well. I also like to pair saisons with most foods, tropic king is a great food pairing beer.

15. jfcook90

jfcook90 Jul 8, 2015 Alabama
    Beer Trader

a good hoppy pale is my fav.... typically doing ribs, pork tenderloin on the Egg. Any other egg heads on here?

16. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Love a good Porter with BBQ- sweet, roasty, and smoky, but thin and light enough so you don't feel like exploding halfway through the meal. If you want your beverage to accentuate/amplify the typical BBQ flavors, go with this.

If you want something to "wash it down" or cleanse the palate, go with a pils or AAL (especially good if it's hot af out and you've been slaving over a grill for an hour- but I'm sure we all know this already).

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!