Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Best beer with buffalo wings

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Hdredfern, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Feb 16, 2012 Texas

What's the best style to pair with buffalo wings?

2. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I like ambers/reds and not-too-hoppy pale ales. Sometimes a cold porter hits the spot. Not a fan of hoppy IPAs with Buffalo wings. The bitterness of the IPA with the spicy wings is not good IMO.

inchrisin likes this.
  3. Groomsy

Groomsy Sep 23, 2010 Kentucky

I'm also a fan of using amber ales with wings. While hoppy beers can cut the heat, the bitterness doesn't always blend well with the spices and sauces of wings.

I usually tend to go for stronger lagers - Maibocks have just enough clean hoppy notes to cleanse the palate but have a nice inherent sweetness. A well-done Vienna lager or even a more sturdy pilsner balances nicely too. I lean toward more balanced beers that can cut through some of the heat without being too overwhelming.

4. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

Something light and bubbly that burns the tongue. A middle of the road amber would help get the heat down, if you're into that sort of thing. :confused:

5. Genuine

Genuine May 7, 2009 Connecticut

anything that is not too hoppy and bitter. Lighter beers, wheats, etc is what I would pair to go with it.

6. SmoothHoosier

SmoothHoosier Apr 5, 2013 Indiana

Just had some hot wings with a stout. Not the best combo. Next time i'll try a wheat brew.

7. KS1297

KS1297 Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

i usually just go with the cheapest AAL they got. sometimes a shit bmc lager with spicy food really hits the spot.

Brew33 likes this.
  8. NickThePyro

NickThePyro Dec 24, 2012 Washington

I use Ayinger Ur-Weisse or likewise beers. The banana/yeasty flavors seem to help sooth the heat from the buffalo sauce.

9. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

It seems like IPAs and spicy food are a combo that most people love or hate. Stone IPA and wings is one of my favorite pairings. I suspect a Maibock (as has been suggested) or a Maerzen would work well-I'll have to try those soon.

10. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Feb 19, 2008 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'm a fan of Fuller's London Porter with my hot wings. It kind of gives a chile-chocolate flavor that I enjoy. However, a nice Sierra Nevada Pale Ale works as well.

11. BuckeyeOne

I think it's more a reflection of the popularity of IPAs. If you look through this forum, you will see that at least one person suggests an IPA for nearly every pairing request. No other beer style is consistently suggested as a great pairing for food.

12. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Maybe, but I think for a lot of people it's not just a matter of IPAs being the best beer for spicy food, but more a matter of spicy food being the ideal pairing for an IPA. The particular intensity of a hop bomb ans the intensity of spicy food play off each other in a way that is enjoyable to some and over the top for others.

For my part, I'm pretty burnt out on IPAs, and even when I was really into them would rarely pair them with food, as they tend to overpower whatever you're eating. Wings are the main exception to that rule for me.

13. scurvy311

scurvy311 Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

For BWW mango habinero I go to Bass pale ale. Smooth, cleansing, not too malty/hoppy

14. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Jul 25, 2009 India

Try Kolsch.

utopiajane likes this.
  15. imbrue001

imbrue001 Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Flying Dog Pearl Necklace

16. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Lighter flavored lagers and wheat beers. Nothing too hoppy.

17. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Since milk is supposed to cool the taste buds after spicy foods, how about a milk stout?

18. TheGoof

TheGoof Apr 10, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

The hoppier the better. The hops help add to the sting from the heat.

Budinetz likes this.
  19. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

I generally go for a Pilsener or a Kolsch.

utopiajane likes this.
  20. JesseMurdock

JesseMurdock Apr 14, 2013 Hawaii

English Bitter

21. kmatlack

kmatlack Mar 29, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Any distilled Brew Dog "beer". i.e. Tactical Nuclear Penguin, Sink the Bismarck, End of History....

But seriously: When I lived in TX, my favorite was Live Oak Hef with some spicy wings. Solid combo.

22. ufmj

ufmj Feb 15, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

23. TNGabe

TNGabe Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

Same style that goes best with almost all foods - saison.

24. ZAP

ZAP Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

I agree 100%..the same reason I do not like IPA's with Pizza...even a simple beer like Killians Red works better

25. mugs1789

mugs1789 Dec 6, 2005 Maryland

SNPA. If not available, Corona or a premium American lager and preferably ice cold. Focus on the wings, not the beer.

26. mpalestino

mpalestino May 28, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

i will generally go for a pale ale or a black lager

27. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

I happen to like hoppy beers with spicy foods.

28. Chinon01

Chinon01 Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

Which of your most favorite foods do you not like a hoppy beer w/?

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  29. joelwlcx

I honestly have no idea...

30. joelwlcx

Probably anything sweet, particularly chocolate.

31. bulletrain76

bulletrain76 Nov 6, 2007 California

I tend to also like hoppy with spicy and think that salads, especially caesar, are awful with an IPA. Ditto with sushi and and most fish.

32. paymerick

paymerick Feb 24, 2013 Texas

I eat spicier foods quite a bit and prefer lighter, not incredibley hoppy beers if I'm drinking beer with my meal. Amber Ales, lagers, kolsches, even Dos Xs and an AAL depending on how spicy.

I've tried doing IPAs and stouts with my spicy food and it's not for me, but i can where there's something there someone could like about the reactions.

33. BuckeyeOne

It's not just this BA. Look at every thread where someone is asking for a beer for a food pairing. At least one person suggests an IPA, regardless of the fact that IPAs are renowned palate wreckers. Go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe