Best beers to seek out in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by BBA2019, May 12, 2019.

1. BBA2019

BBA2019 Initiate (15) May 12, 2019 Delaware

Will be in town next week and plan to fill up an extra piece of luggage with beers that aren't distributed in the Philly area.

Also, plan on stopping at a few taprooms for flights.

I will be staying in Wrigleyville.

Would appreciate your recommendations for beers, taprooms, and bottle shops.

My favorite styles are stouts and porters, preferably barrel aged.

I also enjoy Belgians, IPAs, Double IPAs, and fruited sours.

2. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,268) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

BuffaloBill12 likes this.
  3. BBA2019

BBA2019 Initiate (15) May 12, 2019 Delaware

4. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (217) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois

<-------

It's available all over Wrigleyville

5. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,668) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

As an aside, when I went to Siebel back in '95 I was told of a cool old man / dive bar where you had to knock on the door and tell them who you were to get them to let you in. I think it was an Old Style only, or close to that in selection kind of bar. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I never got the chance to visit.

6. kodt

kodt Zealot (585) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

You might be thinking of the bar that was eventually taken over by Michael Roper and changed into Hopleaf.

That bar was an old man bar with a locked door and the little slide window they would open to see who you were. The main purpose was to keep minorities out really.

Good chance there were a number of places like that.

7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,668) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

That sounds like the place. I had no idea it had to do with race; I probably wouldn't have gone if I knew that anyway.

8. justtaint

justtaint Aspirant (227) Sep 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I would guess it was Johnny's Tavern which closed in 2009 when it's 80+ year old owner/bartender passed away.

https://www.chibarproject.com/Reviews/Johnnie's/Johnnie's.htm

"Johnnie's is one of those old-school neighborhood taverns, of which so few remain. When you walk up to the bar, Johnnie himself has to buzz you in at the door (if he is awake)."