Best bottle shops in Atlanta?

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by thebigyellowjoint, May 13, 2013.

1. thebigyellowjoint

thebigyellowjoint Nov 5, 2012 Texas

ATL BAs,

I will be heading to Atlanta in a few weeks (around 6/6), and I'm planning to grab some bottles to bring back with me to Texas. I'm wondering what the best bottle shops in my area would be (I will be staying Downtown, Ponce/I-75 area). I'm already planning a trip to Total Wine, but what are some other smaller bottle shops worth visiting? As far as what kind of beers I'm looking for: pretty much anything from The Bruery, Jolly Pumpkin, and Port/Lost Abbey is top of my list; will also be looking out for any Bell's, Weyerbacher, Allagash, and Smuttynose that catches my eye. Ale Yea! and Mac's are both on my list since they are pretty close. That given, a few questions:

Is the Green's Beverages on Ponce any good? Is the Buford Hwy location any better?
    Is Bell's Black Note on shelves anywhere or is it long gone/never made it?
    Any bottle shops I haven't mentioned that are worth a look?

Also, as a side note, I will be bringing some TX stuff out there for an IP trade (JesterKing mostly, but if I get interest, other stuff available is 512, Real Ale, AustinBeerWorks, St Arnold, Hops&Grain, Rahr&Sons; also non-TX breweries we get distro for like Firestone Walker, Deschutes, Sixpoint, Ballast Point). Just throwin that out there, I will post a more comprehensive ISO/FT in a couple weeks.

2. ndepriest

ndepriest Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Green's is weird but good. They have good deals on things.
    Black Note barely made it and is LONG gone, like every other place that got it.
    Go to Hop City. It's awesome.

If you have time to go to any pubs, The Porter and Brick Store are where it's at, as any GA resident will tell you. Have a safe trip!

thebigyellowjoint likes this.
  3. thebigyellowjoint

thebigyellowjoint Nov 5, 2012 Texas

Thanks for the info! Will definitely check out Hop City. Also will be hitting up the Sweetwater Brewery and the Brick Store - if I have time I'll swing by The Porter, looks like it's actually closer to me than Brick Store.

4. michaeljstraub

michaeljstraub Oct 6, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

If you're heading to the Brickstore be sure to stop by AleYeah! on College Ave. about a mile away. Smaller than Hop City but as a Decatur resident it's my go to shop. Sherlock's has a good little selection of some forgotten bottles too

5. ZinFanDave

ZinFanDave Nov 29, 2011 Georgia

Ormsby's is a fun pub. Twenty on tap with friendly servers who readily give tastes at the bar. choices are very good. It is close to Hop City and next to some fabulous restaurants. Games on lower levels. Go early in the day to avoid big crowds.

6. iccccceman

iccccceman Sep 18, 2009 Georgia

Hands down Green's on Ponce. IMO better prices and selection than Ale Yeah! and Hop City. I still go to Hop City a lot but Green's on Ponce is where I spend the most money. All of those guys have active twitters that they respond to as well if you ever need to shoot a question about inventory. Green's also does discounts on cash/debit purchases. I generally prefer The Porter over Brick Store as well unless there is an event going on at Brick Store.

7. DrunkJoeNamath

DrunkJoeNamath Oct 19, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

My flight lands at 2:30 today and I'll be looking for a bottle shop close to the airport. Where is my best shot to score Bourbon County? Thanks in advance.

8. RDMII

RDMII Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

Airport area? Likely none.

9. pgrenvicz

pgrenvicz Nov 15, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Do Greenes and Hop City. Close together and will cover you.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe