Best breweries within walking distance of sporting arenas

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rather, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoneyardBrewer

BoneyardBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2005 Michigan

Van Andel Arena. Grand Rapids BC and Hopcat right next door with Founders and the BOB only a few blocks away.

waston, westlaunboy and GRPunk like this.
  2. GuttaMane138

GuttaMane138 Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2011 Florida

Pretty much every brewery in St. Pete is close to Tropicana Field. Green Bench being the closest at 0.4 mile away. Cycle & St. Pete Brewing Co. are both 1 mile away, and 3 Daughters is 0.6 mile away.

3. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,349) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

I definitely fall into said category of needing to hit the gym, but would enjoy a nice leisurely 1.2 mile walk, which is a bit more than 15 minutes. The walk back, however, is sometimes a different story. I think it fits in the conversation.

Bluejacket is about a half mile tops from Nats park, but I've heard it can get pretty crowded. Not a whole lot else around the area yet, I don't think. Been there with a beer/music festival going on nearby and it got slammed for about an hour or so after.

4. dbauer78

dbauer78 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2012 Pennsylvania

Rivertowne has a north shore location in pittsburgh, walking distance from PNC park and Heinze field. (.3mi from Heinze and .2mi from PNC)

5. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (4,781) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Boston Beerworks is basically across the street from Fenway.

6. coldy

coldy Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2010 Delaware

Great Lakes in Cleveland has Great beers but a bit of a stretch as a walk to or from a game in my opinion.
    Rivertowne is close to PNC Park and Heinz field in Pittsburgh, but the beers are lackluster and not brewed on site.
    For a little longer walk in Pittsburgh, you can go to the Penn Brewery...much better beer.

7. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Oregon

I love making a pre/post cardinals game pit stop @ 4 hands brewing in st louis...not a terrible walk, golf cart rides available as well ("free, but tip expected")
    pro tip: get your $5 parking around back on game nights (then grab a $5 pint @ the brewery)
    pro tip #2: if it's an earlier game time, they also have goshen cold brew coffee running on draught

8. Modernrickk

Modernrickk Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 California

Can't wait! I'm doing the Noble - Big A walk tomooro.. Should be awesome.. I hope they saved me some Toungue Tickles

rather likes this.
  9. kgncfl

kgncfl Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2013 Washington

I do a baseball trip every year that includes seeing the local watering holes.

We aren't in the best of shape and we easily walk 2-3 miles around the city each trip. About 1/2 mile walk, then stop repeat.

Columbus for Nationwide arena: Barley's Brewhouse, Wolf Ridge Brewing, Columbus Brewing Co, Elevator Brewing Co, & Seventh son brewing all walkable. Not to mention another 1/2 dozen good beer bars.

10. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (839) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Victory has a beer garden across the street from all 4 Philly teams

Enjoy

11. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (839) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The average walk is 4 mph. So do the math. Not too long of a walk to get where you want to. Take a cab home.

Enjoy

12. loganburgh

loganburgh Crusader (755) Nov 23, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor before or after games at the Big House. Good sours, great food.

13. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (12,647) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Public Transport in KC is bad. It's a big sprawling city. My number one complaint about KC is how far about most of the good beer venues are from each other.

russpowell likes this.
  14. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (611) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

4 Hands, Alpha, and Morgan Street are all fairly close to Busch Stadium. 4 Hands being the closest

zxtwou2, spartan1979 and Jared14 like this.
  15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,893) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Detroit Beer Company is 3 blocks from Comerica Park (Tigers) and 4 blocks from Ford Field (Lions).

buschbeer likes this.
  16. orcrist_cleaver

orcrist_cleaver Poo-Bah (1,915) May 3, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

It's not exactly through the most pleasant parts of town and includes a stretch over a noisy bridge too-the Cleveland walk that is.

17. orcrist_cleaver

orcrist_cleaver Poo-Bah (1,915) May 3, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

NY sports stadiums unfortunately seem to be in the middle of a swamp or in town that tells you what to do with your shit. Madison Square Garden is the only one I can think of that has a brewery close by. Heartland isn;t more than 4 blocks away and has some pretty good winter beers for the basketball/hockey season.

18. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Defender (601) Oct 5, 2011 Colorado

In addition to ONovoMexicano's quote on Coors, add Denver Brew Co and Prost within walking distance. Not sure if its still the case, but free parking at Prost and sometimes golf cart rides over to the ballpark. And don't forget Coors has its own brewery inside the stadium.

Also within an aggressive walk is Epic and Beryl's.

Coors Field baby: Wynkoop, River North, Jagged Mountain, Great Divide, Epic.
    Washington Nats park (don't know the name): Bluejacket (awesome brewery)

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  19. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,625) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

According my treadmill at the Y & my knees that's a jog. My problem with the walk at my age is more to do with finding a place to pee, some times the bladder isn't totally committed to the endeavor. Being from the South, my pace isn't that good unless really trying to push it. Distance, not an issue unto itself.

20. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (136) Aug 17, 2012 South Dakota

Great Waters Brewing is located in the old Hamm's building a couple blocks from the Excel Energy Center...Go MN WILD!!

21. trentbrown89

trentbrown89 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 California

I came here to say this, literally as close as possible for a brewery to be. Would imagine it is the closest...

22. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (7,888) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

The newly built PPL Center in downtown Allentown, PA => Allentown Brewworks (within a block walking distance).

23. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,566) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Yes, the OP was looking for distance of "about a mile". I am willing to bet the one mile mark was the longest distance preferred. My comment was more directed to "walking" 1.2 miles in 15 minutes. That ain't easy.

Not to start some huge argument, but the average walk, according to many sources including Princeton.edu, is 3.1mph, or 5kph. That equals one mile in about 20 minutes: I just did the math. Also, walking at elevation and hilly terrain would likely cause an even slower walk. Additionally, I think the whole point of the OPs question is to find a place to walk to AND from, at a leisurely pace. I don't think he is looking for somewhere to walk and then take a cab home.

rather and russpowell like this.
  24. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Just picking nits here, but downtown Denver ain't hilly. A couple miles west, though...

But yeah, the elevation might get ya.

25. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,893) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I've heard that you guys in the South are good at moseying along at a slow pace. You just need to take an extra Flowmax for those walks. :wink:

26. barroomhero1977

barroomhero1977 Initiate (159) Nov 2, 2010 Rhode Island

Pratt Street Ale House (Oliver Ales) in Baltimore is across the street from Camden. Great place to catch a few cask ales before (or after) the game.

27. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (284) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

I think we're talking Major League stadiums here.

28. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,625) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I put enough other foreign substances in my body thank you very much:grimacing::confused: Honestly when ever I go to a bigger city, I am amazed how damn slow I walk...

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  29. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2011 Texas

Have fun walking from Deep Ellum. I'll stick with Community.

30. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (208) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

I know the question was Breweries, but, Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver is 2 minutes away from Coors Field. You could get something from a few different breweries right there.

31. jds16

jds16 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Ohio

But in Cleveland there's no need to walk since GLBC's Fatty Wagon will give you a round trip.

ucsbmullet likes this.
  32. Pug

Pug Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Minnesota

San Diego / Petco Park: Mission Brewing and Stone Taproom.
    Minneapolis / Target Field: Fulton and Freehouse
    Minneapolis/ New Vikings Stadium: Town Hall and Day Block

For Minneapolis, I prefer Fulton's heavier / winter beer. Town Hall is the best of the bunch.

33. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (748) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

There's also Right Proper a little over a mile from the Verizon Center in DC

34. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I visited Right Proper and enjoyed it. I wasnt aware if was close to the Verizon Center. *Comfession I wasn't aware the Verizon Center existed nor do I know who plays there.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  35. rather

rather Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 California

I know the Washington capitals play there

36. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I'll be in MPLS on Monday and most likely will hit a Twins game sometime during that week. Do I visit Fulton or Freehouse or both and for what? Pre-game? Post-game? Both? So many questions, sorry homie.

37. Pug

Pug Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Minnesota

Freehouse is a brewpub. The beer is fine, but not remarkable. I've only eaten there for brunch, food was fairly solid. I'd vote for Fulton if you only had time for one. There is usually a food truck outside, and they open a little earlier for home games.

Depending on where you are staying / vehicle situation, you can take the light rail back into downtown, get off at the old Metrodome stop, and then walk a few blocks over to Town Hall Brewery. The Republic Bar is right across the street from Town Hall and has an excellent taplist.

As for what you should drink - depends on your taste. I prefer Fulton's darker stuff, but that's just my taste preference. They have a new saison I haven't tried.

38. BoneyardBrewer

BoneyardBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2005 Michigan

Gee thanks there chief I guess I misunderstood the OP's question. "Is there a brewery near your favorite sporting arena that you can walk too?" :confused:

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  39. Nate_M

Nate_M Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2014 Missouri

4 Hands is a great spot to go before STL Cardinals games. They have a delicious red.

zxtwou2 likes this.
  40. IMFletcher

IMFletcher Defender (689) May 2, 2014 Kentucky
    Trader

Country Boy Brewing is about 4 blocks from Rupp Arena here in Lexington KY, and Blue Stallion, West Sixth, and the soon-to-be-opened Ethereal Brewing are all about the same distance as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.