Best Brewery Websites

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by checktherhyme, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Initiate (174) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I was just on Samuel Adams website for the first time today, and was blown away by the depth of it. Each different beer that they brew (which is a ton), has its own page and video of Jim Koch describing/tasting it. The videos are so well done, and his descriptions made me crave beer.

So my question is; what brewery website is your favorite and what other ones should I check out!?

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,217) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I think Deschutes' website is the bomb. You have your beer finder there where you can see what beers are available at the stores in your town. Others have them too, but very few of them.

beertunes likes this.
  3. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

I'm quite fond of the DFH website myself.

Shilt and HopFace like this.
  4. Azurescens

Azurescens Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Washington

Tough one, but i'm gonna have to go with Hair of the Dog.

5. ArchEnemyBrew

ArchEnemyBrew Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2010 Washington

I'm going to have to agree here. Such an informative and up to date site.

Treebs likes this.
  6. gkunkle

gkunkle Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2010 Oregon

Check out their favorite links around the web, lots of great information.
    http://www.hairofthedog.com/linkswelike.html

7. Captstrapper

Captstrapper Initiate (106) Nov 19, 2011 Vermont

Magic Hat has a pretty cool website. It can be tuff to navigate but is very artistic and fun to peak around.

8. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (515) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

For me this has been the only site since 2008, save for Genesee's (cue laughter) to check on the Heritage Pack distribution and availability in NE Ohio. Never even bothered to look @ Rate Beer...BA UNITE! :angry:

9. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,069) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

cosmicevan, buffs9 and Crazyale like this.
  10. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

I'll second Unibroue. Very "classy", and pleasantly designed and laid out.

11. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,046) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I kinda hate the Samuel Adams website (a little less so since they dropped the double age check). If I want info on the brewery, I have to go to the Boston Beer Co. site. If I want info on a particular beer other than the two year-'round labels Boston Lager and Light, I first have to guess which category it fits into - "Seasonal" "Brewmaster" Barrel Room" "Imperial" "Limited" "Specialty". Oh, wait- I should have just clicked on "Beer Guide".

To find the beer I want, I then have to click through 4 more sub-pages if I did click on a Category, and FINALLY get a list of the beers in that group. Then, 4 more choices "About" "History" "Brewing" "Profile". Uh, really? Sort of redundant, isn't it?

Still my favorite is their "Lager" family tree where we learn that under "Pilsner" and within that style, there are Eisbocks like SA Noble Pils and Wheat Bocks like SA Imperial Hallertau

The Ale family has some other interesting "facts"- altbier is a type of "Bitter" AND a type of "American Amber Ale", yet bitter is a type of "Golden Ale". And Irish Red Ale and Scottish Ales are types of "Dark Mild".

Etan and Bitterbill like this.
  12. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I hate their web site, is why I have no idea how many IPA's they make now.:wink: Nor do I care really.

13. DirtyPenny

DirtyPenny Devotee (412) Jun 25, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm an absurdly huge homer for Old Burnside Brewing, but, even taking that with a grain of salt, I think their website is pretty nicely put together for such a small brewery. Nothing too fancy, and some bits and pieces could use some updating (especially the "our brews" section) but it looks professional and gives you a good overview of the company.

I've never had a beer from Butternuts Beer and Ale but their cartoony flash page is pretty amusing.

14. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, I think with opinions on brewery websites the problem is that some folks are looking for quick 'n' accurate information while others are there for entertainment and/or "fan" sites to Facebookishly LIKE ...

azorie likes this.
  15. jesskidden

Society Trader

Ha, ha. See, that's just the sort of website I don't like :wink: ...(and have often used it as an example of such in these sorts of threads.)

I often say one of the greatest things about the explosion of beers and breweries is that it's now easy to not buy beers from a particular brewery because of some minor trivial, often non-beer related factor - like a website, advertising campaign, political or other disagreeable statement or action from the brewer, bad/embarrassing/juvenile labels, etc. There are so many great beers on the shelves, avoiding a brand like Butternuts is no sacrifice.

azorie likes this.
  16. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I like quick and easy access to the beer list, which I only use to see what is carried here versus what they offer. I do like sites with a decent beer locator that works though.

17. Agold

Agold Defender (635) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

I hope you guys are being sarcastic. Not only does it look like it was made in 1996, but the batch guide has not been updated in 9 years, and the press notes have not been updated for just about the same amount of time. Good beer, shitty website.

18. Scrylol

Scrylol Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2010 Canada

Check out Wychwood Brewery's website, it's sort of like a fantasy themed website, pretty neat. Another good one is Sierra Nevada's website, nice, simple, easy to navigate, and great background pictures to accompany the beer pages.

19. mltobin

mltobin Poo-Bah (1,874) Apr 1, 2007 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Brooklyn has a well-laid out site and the clinking sound of the beer bottles is a nice touch.

dennis3951 likes this.
  20. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,011) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

odells is very informative about their brews as is deschutes

21. shand

shand Meyvn (1,447) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Cigar City's website was upgraded greatly about three months or so ago, and offers great up-to-date about what's in the tasting room. It's current for TODAY, gotta love that!

22. Kinsman

Kinsman Champion (853) Aug 26, 2009 California

Always been a fan of the Black Acre Brewing website for their "I am under 21" link. Other than that, I like sites to be clean and simple but with a good amount of info available that is up to date. Sierra Nevada comes to mind as one of the better ones.

23. chunkyboy

chunkyboy Initiate (103) Aug 16, 2008 Michigan

New Glarus has a pretty good website.

24. ArchEnemyBrew

ArchEnemyBrew Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2010 Washington

You tell me if we're being sarcastic. Is dark lord disgusting? Now you have your answer.

25. alexjustesen

alexjustesen Initiate (65) Aug 27, 2012 Connecticut

Hey dirtypenny.... we have heard your feedback keep an eye out more to come soon!

26. kmello69

kmello69 Zealot (529) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Homer pick, but I really like the new look of the website for Freetail Brewing out of San Antonio. Just enough cool technology without being overwhelming.

http://www.freetailbrewing.com/

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  27. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

I was just going to link this. Simple and mouthwatering.

28. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,213) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I guess I like the Founders site because I often find myself referencing/checking their availability calendar.

29. Prospero

Prospero Savant (980) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

30. brewbetter

brewbetter Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2012 Nauru

I like websites that tell me exactly where I can get their beer around me.

31. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (3,029) Nov 16, 2009 California
    Society

Firestone Walker.

(only gripe is the cart feature)

Cheers!

afrokaze likes this.
  32. alexjustesen

Do you prefer location based search by GPS/IP (available on smart phones and html5) or search by good ole fashioned address?

33. brewbetter

brewbetter Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2012 Nauru

Address or zip code works for me. Firestone, Flying Dog, and Dogfish Head are a few breweries that allow you to find beer like that, which has allowed me to try more of their beer.

34. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Virginia

Ommegang's website is boss

35. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (563) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Brewery

Anchor recently overhauled their site and it's classy - informative, easy to navigate, and matches their feel well. Lots of historical info and good videos too.

Russian River has the coolest splash page, it's a constantly updated replica of their brewpub tap list (still waiting for that Procrastination...) The rest of the site is massively better than it was a year ago, and they integrated the bottle log back in too. Super helpful and I like Vinnie's blog, he's a cool dude.

36. canoale

canoale Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2010 Ohio

Shorts, they do a pretty good job for a mighty small place. They do good ( most of the time ) keeping it updated.

37. alexjustesen

Would you guys say once a month location updates are good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.