Best Burger/Craft Beer Combo in Mpls/St. Paul area

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ZAP, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpeterandthepuffers

mrpeterandthepuffers Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Minnesota

I don't really have an alternative in the area, unfortunately. I just stay home and drink from the cellar. I don't think "There's nowhere else" is a good reason to give a place my money.. unless it's comcast.

2. KV12482

KV12482 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 Minnesota

I agree. They have no competition for their tap lineup due to no one else in the area willing to spend the money for rarer kegs...I do enjoy going to Bonfire though. They have been adding more local and craft taps over the past year and their happy hour prices are great.

3. wookiemofo

wookiemofo Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2010 Minnesota

Lyn65

*drops mic*

4. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 Minnesota

Drops mic guy

Wow

5. fantome

fantome Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2003 Minnesota

Went to Red Cow in St Paul on Saturday. Loved it.

MNigon likes this.
  6. Pug

Pug Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Minnesota

To that point (of the mic dropping) - the Lyn65 had a damn good burger and a nice tap list. I had a pour of bourbon and a cocktail when I was there, but the taplist was solid and so was the burger. I'd still put Red Cow ahead of it, though, for a non-Juicy Lucy.

7. doucmehu

doucmehu Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 Oregon

8. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Initiate (109) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

steorn likes this.
  9. doucmehu

doucmehu Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2010 Oregon

It will, and the food is going to be excellent! I am pushing them for really solid beer pricing so they can keep lines rotating quickly.

Keep an eye open for the founders club in the next two months.

10. Shag

Shag Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007 Minnesota

Nice! Excited for a potentially good beer bar out East...

11. Sinatra716

Sinatra716 Initiate (0) May 27, 2006 Minnesota

The craft beer selection isn't mind blowing, but you won't find a better burger than The Nook. They also have the cities best onion rings, and great wings.

12. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Initiate (109) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

Founders Club, you say? I'm intrigued. Love to have something like that close to home.

13. dzyneguru

dzyneguru Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Minnesota

Buster's on 28th, one of my favorite bars on the planet. Great bison burger and an excellent rotating tap list.

14. steven

steven Initiate (0) May 24, 2006 Minnesota

Not necessarily for Burgers, but Turtle's in Shakopee has good food, and great pizza. They have a pretty impressive list all the time, it rotates pretty steadily, and they occasionally get some of the really special things a la darkness and bourbon county, etc. They've put a lot of effort into their beer list in the last few years.

biglobo8971 likes this.
  15. TastyTaste

TastyTaste Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2002 Minnesota

I'll throw in a suggestion for http://lyn65.com/. The burger is a unique and delicious flavor/texture experience, and the beer list is minnesotacentric, with each tapline devoted to a different Minnesota craft brewer. Surly, Pryes, Fulton, Summit, Harriet, Steel Toe, and they rotate all the time. It's a good place to have in our neighborhood.

Pug likes this.
  16. yort2009

yort2009 Initiate (55) Sep 20, 2009 Iowa
    Trader

I always have a Surly Furious with a Juicy Nookie on my way back to Iowa on Sundays. This last Sunday I sat in the basement for the first time. I wish I could take a nap before driving home.

17. Odyssey300

Odyssey300 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2013 Minnesota

Went on Saturday for the first time. Worst dining experience I ever encountered. Was seated upstairs near the kitchen and a male server physically ran into me (knocking me back in my chair) on four different occasions over 45 minutes. Our server was told and she retrieved the male server instead of management. The manager finally came over and was condescending asking "are you hurt, will you be okay?". Not the greatest selection of beers on tap and over priced as well.

18. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (4,036) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

Since someone added Lion's Tap as a brewery (use to be a 3.2% joint if I remember correctly), I will throw them out there as a good burger joint. Never had the beer, which I think is Cold Spring brew. The burgers can be overly salted at times, but it is never under seasoned unlike several other places listed in the thread (my last Golden Nugget, The Nook, and Tavern 4&5 visits).

If under seasoned burgers are your thing, check out Hollywood Roadhouse. Remarkable tap list, far better than anything else found west of 494, even though the chef evidently does not understand salt use.

19. iRun2Beer

iRun2Beer Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2015 Minnesota

20. Centinela

Centinela Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2014 Minnesota

Digby's at the Rosedale Mall has a suprisingly solid beer menu (for a mall joint), and I really enjoyed the burger I had there last week.

21. Steasy66

Steasy66 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 Minnesota

Town Hall for me. I frequent the Blue Door and the Nook due to proximity but their burgers don't compare.

22. mjryan

mjryan Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Are you saying Town Hall has better burgers than the Nook and Blue Door? Personally, I think the food at TH is at best just ok, and I think the burgers are absolute shit.

23. Steasy66

Steasy66 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 Minnesota

I think their burgers are the best in the area.

24. MNBeer1017

MNBeer1017 Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2013 Minnesota

Convention Grill burgers are insane but youll have to have a malt with them instead of a beer

Pug and steorn like this.
  25. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,454) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

I love Town Hall burgers too. Would take Nook or Blue Door ahead though for burgers but not by much and when you factor in the beer at TH it makes the debate interesting.

26. SipIt

SipIt Initiate (176) Jul 18, 2013 Minnesota

Does Stub and Herbs have a decent burger? I'm going to the basketball game tonight and am thinking that's the best in walking distance.

27. Douggo

Douggo Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2009 Minnesota

I'm personally not a fan of the Sturburgers. I mean, I'll go there, and eat them, but I don't think they're above average.

SipIt likes this.
  28. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,151) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Stub and Herb's and Big10 both used to have -okay- burgers, but the bar has been raised as there's a couple of burger chains on campus, now. :grinning:

SipIt likes this.
  29. iRun2Beer

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but sometime around 2010 didn't Stubs reduce the price of their burgers because they reduced the quality of the meat...or something along those lines? I remember always enjoying a Black and Blue burger at Stubs in college, but I haven't been back in years since I left Minneapolis.

Chaz likes this.
  30. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,151) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Could be. I stopped hanging out there every freakin' night in 2008 (I moved), and that's after it was sold, too.

The last burger I had there ("The Inferno Burger") was a new addition circa 2010 or so, and it was decent, but it was also a 'kill the keg' night and I was out-pacing 21 year-olds, so it was more of a "base" to hold down whichever hopbomb I was guzzling that night. :wink: I -do- fondly recall (in college, so long ago... ) how we'd always try to finish the "1 Pound Burger" in one sitting, and that patty was easily more than a pound! :grimacing:

Pug and iRun2Beer like this.
  31. iRun2Beer

I have many a fond memory of Stubs circa '06-'08. I took my little brother there for lunch once in about 2010 or 2011 and remember being disappointed in the food (greasy, low quality, etc.). Perhaps the food hadn't changed since my college years, it was just my perception...or it was the fact that the entire time I was at the U of M I don't believe I ever left Stubs sober. Too many beers to try, and after a few pints I'm sure Burger King a few blocks away could have tasted ground breaking :wink:

Chaz likes this.
  32. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Initiate (0) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

used to go there all the time when I worked down the street. Not so much any more. Turtle's in Shakopee has great beer options and their food is good. Ninja edit, did not see mentioned previously.

33. SwinginParty

SwinginParty Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Minnesota

Had The Manhattan today with a Blushing Monk at Red Cow is St.Paul. Ok firstly I get the whole obsession with this super trendy Pat Lafrieda mix of Short Rib, Brisket and Chuck, but $16.50 for a burger? GTFO. Not to mention the dried red cherry wine reduction, bacon confit (no bacon doesn't make everything better) a barely discernible teaspoon of pork belly mind you, arugala (hipster spinach) all on a Pretzel Bun. The Lafrieda mix was lost in all of the toppings, reductions, etc. Sorry I know this is Beeradvocate and not Chowhound but I gotta chime in. The Blushing Monk was good as was the new Indeed Pale Lager. But for 9 bucks I'll stay closer to home and hit up The Nook from now on.

34. MplsNick

MplsNick Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2014 Minnesota

I was going to say Busters but yeah Red Cow probably the Bee's Knees

35. Frumious_Bandersnatch

Frumious_Bandersnatch Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Minnesota

The menu at Bulldog Uptown is different than the one at the Bulldog Northeast location, but the burgers and tots are equally good, as is the Belgian centric taplist.

36. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Ward 6 on Payne avenue in Saint Paul has a decent beer list, and makes a burger using grilled cheese sandwiches as the bread. They call it a "fatty melt".

*smashes mic stand against stage.

Pug likes this.
  37. Pug

Pug Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 Minnesota

I must try this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.