Best coffee beer you've had lately

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by inchrisin, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Stone coffee milk stout was good

Neorebel likes this.
  2. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,853) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

Actually going with Goose Island Fulton Street as one in the last two day?

3. algebeeric_topology

algebeeric_topology Zealot (515) Dec 30, 2014 New York
    Trader

Probably somewhere in here already, but morning bell by Kane

SovietBillCosby likes this.
  4. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

This has probably been brought up many times before, maybe even in this post (I didn't feel like searching through 32 pages) and it should probably be its own thread but I hate that I miss out on great beers because I'm not a fan of coffee. In fact I hate it, the smell, the taste, everything.
    Lately I've tried some anyway just to see if I can handle them because I love imperial stouts and stouts in general, as long as there isn't pronounced coffee. I don't mind mocha-y beers and the toasty malt that give the impression of coffee; it's just the actual thing.
    I was really pumped for Stone Xocovesa thinking the other ingredients would make it okay for me but no. Also no go on Kasteel Barista Chocolate Quad, Peche Mortel, etc...
    I guess I'm just looking for some love from my few fellow non-coffee beer BA's. There are a couple of you out there, right?

5. petmoo23

petmoo23 Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 Illinois

If you want a great coffee beer, but you're sick of the same old stouts, then I'd be drinking a Perkulator from Dark Horse. I believe the style is dopplebock, but whatever the base beer is it has a lighter body and is more drinkable than many other coffee beers, but still has a great coffee character to it.

6. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,466) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Totally agree on the 2014 Drakes, had one last month and it really aged well.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (13,041) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

When you don't like a taste that is prevalent in the industry, it can be difficult to avoid since many see it as expected and acceptable. I am fine with coffee, but I don't like sour, bitter, or "bourbony" beers - so I read reviews before buying a beer so I can avoid the tastes I don't like. You apparently like stouts as I do, so it would be very restrictive if you don't like coffee. Sounds like you have tried to tolerate it, so you may need to depend on reviews like I do.

8. rogacks

rogacks Initiate (197) Aug 31, 2014 Massachusetts

Good Morning from Treehouse.. Incredible!

ralflord and Neorebel like this.
  9. JimmyShaker1

JimmyShaker1 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2015 Illinois

Vietnamese Speedway or Bcs coffee.

Homer53 likes this.
  10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,674) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

For shelf stuff readily available right now, how can you beat Founders Breakfast Stout, and with a whiskey twist Big Bad Baptist. Can't be done.

11. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

Stout: Tree House Double Shot Salvador simply amazing. Like cold brew with carbonation.

Non-Stout: Maui's DoubleShot DoppleBock was really good. Reminded me of coffee with creamer in it.

Homer53 likes this.
  12. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

I do check reviews on BA all the time for that reason. Xocovesa was the one where I saw a lot of other tastes and thought I'd like it. Oh well. FT: 5 bottles of Xocovesa...

13. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,466) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

unhyped likes this.
  14. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (632) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Ascension coffee porter from Community. I read a review that called it the Breakast Stout Jr. and couldn't agree more.

15. imfatsowhat

imfatsowhat Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2013 California

Bell's 30th Anniversary:grinning:

Neorebel likes this.
  16. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Maryland

My buddy and I opened a 2014 Bourbon County coffee several weeks back. It was okay.

17. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,257) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Second this one . . . no less than the illustrious @Roguer compares it straight up to Peche Mortel, which is high praise, especially from him.

Roguer likes this.
  18. thebashbro

thebashbro Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2014 Arkansas

2015 sump
    madtree bba coffee & van axis mundi

19. Svingjo

Svingjo Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2012 Canada (BC)

[​IMG]

Whistler Brewing Company's Unique Brew - Cold in Fusion Coffee Brown Ale made in collaboration with the Whistler Roasting Company. Tasty little beverage

20. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

Had my last Mash & Grind last night. Even at a yr old the coffee was still prominent.

21. Laurie0

Laurie0 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 California

These forums just keep getting better and better for newbies like me. Thanks for the tip! I roast my own beans and some friends just helped us make a batch of stout, so now I can create a very unique house-brew.

22. Laurie0

Laurie0 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 California

Lagunitas ScareCity High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout. Had it at the brewery and brought bottles home to the cellar. Comes in third for me after BCBCS and No Rules Vietnamese Porter.

23. Redgoatman

Redgoatman Aspirant (281) May 21, 2015 California
    Trader

Parabajava "Drops the mic"

24. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (4,479) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Society Trader

Victory killed it with Java Cask, comparable to KBS and BCBCS. Definitely helps ease the fact that DE and MD only got BCBS this last week.

Utley12 likes this.
  25. bigjsempire

bigjsempire Initiate (50) Nov 1, 2014 Illinois

I had a Dragons Milk Reserve with Coffee and Chocolate this weekend and blown away at how much I enjoyed the beer, it had a good overall blend of flavor that no one tasting note overwhelmed the other. All I have to say is if you can get your hands on a bottle it is worth your while.

26. CaptFrothy

CaptFrothy Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2006 Maryland

Agreed, damn good, I was curious if it was Kona coffee in there that was making it so tasty. Here's their website's 411:
    This unique Doppelbock was brewed to showcase the fresh roasted Yellow Caturra MauiGrown coffee from Ka’anapali, Maui. This beer is rich in pale malt character and brings slight sweetness to compliment the smooth character of the coffee.

27. MunsonRoyE

MunsonRoyE Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 North Carolina

Skillet Donut is absolutely f'ing delicious. I could drink it each and every day.

28. Donco

Donco Devotee (455) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

I see AleSmith gave me a "like". Gotta say, if I could live in San Diego, I'd be stopping by at least a few days per week.:stuck_out_tongue:

29. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,540) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Hipster Brunch!

MichPaul likes this.
  30. RichD

RichD Crusader (792) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Double Shot from Tree House is one of the best coffee beers that I've ever had. Obviously Good Morning is the best for me, with KBS and BCBS are wonderful, but I haven't had this in a while. I guess I wasted all these letters to say that Founder Breakfast Stout is probably the best fairly readily available coffee beer out there.

31. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (272) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Had my first VaS last night. It was really good and I would be hard pressed to decide between it and FBS.

At first, I didn't get much vanilla. However, I drank it while cooking and eating dinner. I prepared some shrimp in a sauce of tomatoes, garlic, onions, poblanos, chipotle in adobo, and coffee dregs (I know...you're happy for me). While eating, the food kind of competed with and masked the VaS coffee flavor, but the vanilla really popped.

I think I'll be taking my maiden voyage with Speedway tonight, so we'll see.

32. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

Good Morning comes to mind.

33. Crawfish61

Crawfish61 Initiate (96) Feb 1, 2013 Louisiana

1. Peche Mortel
    2. Founder Breakfast stout

34. spaceman24

spaceman24 Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2008 Texas

Yeah, this has a great coffee flavor without being too heavy. One of the best I've had from DE.

rhartogsq likes this.
  35. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,026) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

when i think of Coffee Beers i assume a stout or porter. the best coffee beer i've had in a while was a Coffee IPA

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/339/186708/?ba=Wiffler27

Brewed in NJ, Exit 15 Coffee IPA by Flying Fish was amazing.

smells like coffee and somehow citrus. poured a gold color with a nice sustainable head. great beer

36. Benjhilmer

Benjhilmer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2015 California

FFF Wigsplitter is money. Typically, when I drink coffee beers, the beer profile seems like it is compromising to meet the cheap coffee flavors. With Wigsplitter, the coffee flavors are enjoyable independently and in-conjunction with the beer.

37. barreldawg

barreldawg Initiate (70) Nov 4, 2015 California

I had a Prairie BOMB! yesterday. Really good, but maybe could have done with a little less chili bite... will still drink again. Of course, the Firestone Parabajava that I opened Saturday might be the best stout that I've ever had. Now I just need to figure out how to hide a couple from my wife to get a couple years of age on them.

38. BG24

BG24 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 California

Parabajava

Redgoatman and CJNAPS like this.
  39. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Xocoveza
    Drakes Jolly Roger coffee porter
    Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout
    FBS

40. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Haven't had the pleasure of enjoying that one yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.