Best Craft Beer Option for Beer Pong

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by joeyjoey104, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyjoey104

joeyjoey104 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2014 California

Let me hear it, what is a good craft beer to use for a couple rounds of beer pong? I want something a little tastier than a lager, so maybe an ale of some sort, but not a Double/Single IPA - too heavy and alcoholic. Maybe a nice 5% pale ale with some flavor to it?

Last year I used Mirror Pond by Deschutes, which was an okay option. But want to try something different for my yearly trip to the mountains. I am in Los Angeles, if that matters based on what is available.

Greywulfken likes this.
  2. Bunman3

Bunman3 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2014 Canada (AB)

Based on your location and intentions, perhaps Sierra Nevada...

3. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Disciple (332) Oct 10, 2013 California

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Lagunitas IPA

4. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (298) Nov 3, 2005 California

Just get an AAL (my choice would be PBR)... the perfect beer for that occasion.

Modernrickk, Tut, gopens44 and 3 others like this.
  5. IPAandGreenChile

IPAandGreenChile Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2014 Colorado

Upslope Craft Lager or OB Yella Pils. If you wanna spend an extra 3 bucks per 6 pack that you're just going to chug.

StrappingYoungLad likes this.
  6. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

hell or high watermelon wheat ale by 21st amendment.

I found the WM flavor to be almost what you would expect if you infused some watermelon chunks into a pitcher of water. It's there but super subtle.

People do tend to prefer that crisp carbonated bite with chugging beers. This one is not quite at that level. I guess you would refrigerate it a touch colder.

7. RenzoD

RenzoD Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 Washington

I just went to a bachelor party where we played an alcohol involved form of kickball. I won't go into the details of the game, but let me just tell you that BREWball was one of the greatest games I have ever played. Anyhoo, there were a few beers available and being the only beersnob there, I obviously went for the craft of the options which was Fingergun Session IPA by Iron Horse brewery. It was a perfect choice. I really enjoyed it, it went down smooth and easy and was a very appropriate beer for that game. I doubt it is available in your area but I am sure any session IPA would be good.

8. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

First, ale isn't a more flavourful type of beer than lager. Saying that there are flavourful lagers isn't appealing to an exception to the rule, lagers are just as flavourful as ales in general. Go play beer pong with some Dunkel, Marzen or Rauchbier and see.

I would say the best beer for beer pong is Pilsner. Not because it's a lager, but because it's low abv, fairly dry and since it emphasizes old world hops, it doesn't lead to palate-fatigue.

Grab some fresh cans of Jever!

Providence, jsrose16, Lurchus and 2 others like this.
  9. joeyjoey104

By flavorful, I meant more hoppy & unique. I have never had a Dunkel, or Marzen, will look them up. I'm assuming those are lagers.

Most lagers are bland, crisp and refreshing, I don't think that would be described as flavorful. But to each their own.

10. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (24,524) May 5, 2010 Ohio
    Society Trader

Anderson Valley gose. With the addition of dirty ping pong balls falling on the floor then going into the cups, the saltiness would compliment it. In my opinion.

11. joeyjoey104

Haha, I usually just use water in the cups and then have my separate poured beer ready to chug it down when the opponent hits a cup. Too gross to drink it after the pong ball has cob webs all over it!! That Anderson Valley Gose is tasty though, but way to salty to take more than one in a session.

KSOZE likes this.
  12. joeyjoey104

For sure, had Hell of High Watermelon the other day, was amazing.

13. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

14. Anaxagoris

Anaxagoris Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2014 Washington

Pivo Pils from Firestone Walker for sure

rabbitguy and TrojanRB like this.
  15. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (4,561) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Society Trader

I would always use off the wall AAL's like Stroh's, Olympia Gold, Stag, (you picked opponents beer) and then save an obscure malt liquor like Wildcat or Schlitz Double Malt for the championship round (both drinking it). We had the good beer earlier. Beer Pong beer was part of the intimidation.

16. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

How about Anchor Steam?

17. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

I can tell that your experience with lagers is limited. Many craft drinkers think of Bud Light, Corona, Coors and similar beers when they think of lagers. All of those beers form one sub-style of lagers, and there are dozens of styles. Lagers can be 4%, 14% and everything in between. They can be malt-bombs, hop bombs, nicely balanced, and everything else that ales are.

Try Celebrator Doppelbock, Anchor Steam, Hoponious Union, Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen, Dortmunder Gold, Weihenstepaner Original and some top rated beers from other lager styles on this site.

18. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,180) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

All I can tell you is that I was once at a bar in LA and they played beer pong with Pliny the Elder in order to blow the keg and put something else really amazing on (which I have of course forgotten).

joeyjoey104 likes this.
  19. BowWowWowYippyYoIPA

BowWowWowYippyYoIPA Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2014 California
    Deactivated

Since you're in CA and most likely get Modern Times I would definitely recommend Oneida, MT's current 4pack seasonal release. Extremely tasty and slammable.

joeyjoey104 likes this.
  20. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

I would go with something a little lighter in flavor to avoid palate fatigue, I tend to drink a lot more when playing drinking games. Go with a Saison flavorful but not too much and can be found in lower alcohol.

21. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,454) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

You know a good ale that would work well with a lot of flavor like you want would be Goose Island Bourbon Barrel Stout. Let me know how it goes...

22. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2013 New York

Why ruin a good beer with a bunch of crap from the floor? Just pour some crap beer in your cups, or better yet just use water and keep your beer in your hand. Even when I was a kid playing beer pong I didn't understand ruining the beer with hair and gunk from the floor, the motto for Beer Advocate is respect beer!

23. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2013 New York

I think your knowledge of lagers needs to be increased. There is a huge range of lagers that are not just your standard macro-crap.

24. beermeplz

beermeplz Aspirant (278) Feb 13, 2015 California

SN Nooner - cheap, good, canned

rabbitguy and jRocco2021 like this.
  25. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

anything from Cantilon

26. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (467) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

Lol inappropriate.

PGD120 likes this.
  27. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (181) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

Golden Monkey

28. beerfinder

beerfinder Aspirant (243) Jan 17, 2008 Pennsylvania

Beer Pong is not for craft beer. Beer Pong is for people that like crap beer.

PGD120, Jeffreysan and AlpacaAlpaca like this.
  29. GMorgan

GMorgan Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois

I had a keg of GLBC christmas ale around the holidays last year and used that. Ended up playing 7 games, definitely regretted it the next day.

30. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

i'd go with an american wheat sort....easy, soft and not complex. IPAs are a bad choice

31. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,006) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Definitely do not use Yellow Bus and post the video here.

32. Fly_Moe

Fly_Moe Initiate (0) May 22, 2012 Florida

Wittekerke - only 5.00%. Perfect summer beer too, nice and crisp. It's perfect for a hot day. This was one of the beers that got me started on my craft beer journey.

[​IMG]

33. Golferallen54

Golferallen54 Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Colorado

NB Snapshot would be my choice

joeyjoey104 likes this.
  34. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Maryland

Couldn't agree with you more!

That being said, my buddies and I once played beer pong with a magnum of Double Bastard! I can't remember who won the game, or much else for that matter, but I do remember that the magnum was empty by the end of the night...

35. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

What is craft beer, and how does it stop people from having fun? Beer pong is fun, especially with two hearted.

36. sgulner

sgulner Initiate (140) Apr 16, 2011 Massachusetts

Founders All Day IPA. Ok, ok, I know the OP said no hop bombs, but it has a great balance and it's marketed for drinking All Day! Pro Tip: If you don't want to chug it, don't buy it..unless you're really good at Pong.

37. Nlawrence301

Nlawrence301 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2013 Maryland

I haven't played beer pong in years. But when I did, I'd play with water cups or not at all. Never been down with the nasty shit on the ball in my drink

38. wolfpac255

wolfpac255 Aspirant (266) Apr 13, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Tell me more about this kickball style game. Sounds fun.

39. BWood

BWood Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2015 California

That is a really good beer. Had it at a wedding recently.

You could also try Sculpin.

40. frozyn

frozyn Defender (648) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Bolding mine, but I think this is the best advice for beer pong. No need to constantly rinse the ball, often with progressively dirtier water, or drink whatever you just got from said cup/floor/table. Keep your beer around and when it's your turn to drink, fill a dixie cup (or two) and drain it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.