Best Cure For A Hangover

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ext, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Initiate (0) May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

waken and bake followed by scrambled eggs smothered in ketchup and a quart of grape soda .

2. Thecalmdrinker

Thecalmdrinker Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2015 Nevada

I rarely get drunk (I just don't drink that much), but when I do, what helps me is eating a bowl of cereal (the less sugary the better) in the morning and or ginger tea. :stuck_out_tongue:

3. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 California

Carne Asada burrito, before to prevent or after as a cure.

4. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,036) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

depends HOW hungover i am.

-If it's just a "regular" hangover then i'll take preworkout and go for a run (2-4 miles). come back and either sex/jerk then shower. just in time for lunch and a beer.

-If it's a BIG hangover then it's basically the same as above except i know i'll still have that lightheaded/daze feeling all day. early night of sleep

and in college it was always:
    -copious amounts of bong hits
    -Taco Bell ($8-$12 worth, big time)
    -FIFA
    -English Premier League
    -NFL games
    -sex
    -natty light
    -gameday (fuck it, drink anyway)

Gajo74, texasalec and mikebezek like this.
  5. Joegilm

Joegilm Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2015 Maryland

I have a ritual. First go to the bathroom. Next drink a liter sized bottle of gatorade. Next fix myself a cup of green tea. Next drink at least a liter of water. Next fix breakfast. Breakfast needs to be- bacon, eggs, apple, bannana, orange juice, more green tea, more gatorade, and more water. Now sometimes I'll mix it up, I'll fix my own bacon and eggs, I'll go to the diner for bacon and eggs, sometimes I'll go to the local deli and get their hangover sandwich which is bacon and eggs on a sandwich. At no point do I have coffee. Green tea instead, coffee is a diaretic and therefor dihydrating. After eating I go take a shower. If I'm still hurting after a shower, breakfast, 2 peices of fruit and over a gallon of fluids, I say fuck it, go back to sleep and feel better by some point in the afternoon.

6. HillbillyBlood

HillbillyBlood Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 West Virginia

7. Grodd87

Grodd87 Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

Sausage egg and cheese mcgriddle from Mcd and more beer

8. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,435) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Guzzle the Pedialyte the night before going to bed or morning after (or both)?

9. lester619

lester619 Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Yup. Suck it up princess.

Shroud0fdoom and 5thOhio like this.
  10. Beer_lover89

Beer_lover89 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 Texas

Believe it or not a Dos XX with lime does the job.

VABA likes this.
  11. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Lots of water or a pedialyte. I think the key to getting over a hangover is hydration plus some rest.

SaCkErZ9 likes this.
  12. frothy_80

frothy_80 Initiate (0) May 19, 2013 Missouri

Eat before drinking, stay hydrated during drinking, and eat after drinking.

Aestro likes this.
  13. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Food, water, and sleep. Anything else is an old wives tale.

14. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (277) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

Drink a glass of water before you go to sleep, then 800 mg of ibuprofen, a vitamin, and an acid reducer. Wake up the next morning feeling like a million bucks.

15. joelwlcx

Tell me: How would ibuprofen BEFORE bed do anything? You'd think that it would be metabolized before you wake up, therefore pointless.

16. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (823) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Hangover?

17. Xtent

Xtent Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2013 California

I normally drink a few Stiegl Radlers, seems to do the trick.

nc41 likes this.
  18. NateDyk47

NateDyk47 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2015 Michigan

19. Sturgeon83

Sturgeon83 Aspirant (277) Mar 11, 2015 Kentucky
    Trader

Who knows? I'd guess if I'm concerned about battling a hangover, I probably didn't get the full measure of sleep, meaning the ibuprofen wasn't fully metabolized. Maybe it's psychosomatic? Work toward my history degree was light on the organic chemistry, so I can't speak to the mechanism, but dozens of hangovers averted can't be wrong.

If I remember correctly, it also helps to be 19.

20. RBowers

RBowers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Virginia

Wake up and pretend that I'm very sick, verge of death sick which takes some acting. While on the floor holding my chest in great pain, I tell the wife I would love breakfast and a BJ before I die. After that I usually take a nap.

21. NateDyk47

NateDyk47 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2015 Michigan

this

Mikecap likes this.
  22. joelwlcx

Placebo effect, most likely.

23. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (8,525) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Moderation...

Or alternating glasses of H2O with fermented malted beverages...

24. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

I didn't read all of the responses so forgive me if this has already been covered. I just want to say: Drinking more in an effort to combat a hangover speaks to a much larger problem.

pinyin likes this.
  25. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,324) Jun 4, 2012 Korea (North)

Half gallon of pulp filled orange juice has always done it for me. Usually don't get hungover off of craft beer though, even if I drink quite a few 12%+ brews. Last hangover was after 4 tall boys and a 40 of Bud Ice about 8 months ago at friends place. I coulda swore Neil Peart was playing a drum solo in my head the next morning

26. joelwlcx

How so? Do you think this applies to everyone who does this, regardless if they actually have a problem or not?

27. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

I don't think any one rule applies to EVERYONE. But I think when a person is inclined to get up in the morning and start drinking to combat his or her hangover, that might indicate a drinking problem.

28. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (594) May 30, 2013 Ohio

A salad before drinking is essential! Try to have some premium cheese on it, but not too much. An oil heavy dressing is great too. Think Oil and Vinegar or 'Garlic Expressions'... etc. Something about this type of salad really helps me.

Mix water between drinks.

BeerBobber and McMatt7 like this.
  29. wordemupg

wordemupg Poo-Bah (4,292) Feb 11, 2009 Canada (AB)
    Society Trader

It's not easy to find the motivation to get going but a swim at the pool works every time.

McMatt7 likes this.
  30. RBowers

RBowers Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Virginia

I love the "run 4 miles, sweat on the stair master" stuff. You're not really hungover if those activities are in play.

31. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

Lying in bed shivering all day, shunning all human contact. I don't get hangovers often, but the ones I do get are viscous.

32. gatheredwaters

gatheredwaters Initiate (0) May 1, 2014 Vermont

Being under the age of 25.

lic217, Crackerbarrel and Jpinoniemi like this.
  33. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (275) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Should one be mixing beer with meds? I realize at one point, it's past the drunk phase, and youre feeling the effects after. But I tend to avoid any medications within hours of alcohol in or out of me.

Also, someone mentioned the main word for me. REMEMBERING. Most people who end up with hangovers let the night get the best of them. If you are able to do much of what many claim here, you aren't drunk enough. But if three beers gives you a hangover, that is both good and bad I guess.

And people saying vitamins and water before bed obviously have never been out where things can get crazy, or the booze sneaks up on you fast, and before you know it, you are napping. Remembering is key. Having a friend who can force feed you powerade and or vitamins is helpful too.

Now I say I want to drink one glass of water for ever 2-3 beers. But often that doesn't happen. Powerade is my thing. I try to keep it at my drunken bedside so I will reach for that first thing in the morning. I tend to drunkenly drink a full quart of powerade through my night of horror dry mouth episodes. I tend to wake up okay.

34. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,327) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

If you take this much Advil (5) on a regular basis (for headaches, hangovers, whatever) you can damage your kidneys. Then you won't be able to drink anymore, so no hangovers! Yes, this may make you feel better the day after, but I don't advise it.

#114 bbtkd, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    ManBearPat likes this.
  35. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,171) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Gatorade, water and sleep.

36. Xenoreactive

Xenoreactive Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2015 Virginia
    Deactivated

THC, slamming two large steins of water down and sleeping. Hydration is key.

37. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Crusader (747) Jun 18, 2003 Ohio
    Trader

This topic has been brought up ad nauseum (pun intended). But from a medical perspective, there is no "cure" for a hangover, in such as there has been no scientific research conducted that medical science can recommend or not recommend against a certain treatment for a "cure". That being said, hydration during alcohol ingestion is highly suggested as well as moderate consumption. Of course a hangover is the product of ignoring the obvious. So, what to do when the symptoms hit: hydrate, protein, electrolytes, walk. G2 provides electrolytes and fluids, walking allows your body to process the toxins more efficiently and protein provides energy. Avoid tylenol and tylenol containing products which can irritate the liver. But you know the best remedy: time; so plan appropriately.

goldenhopdevil likes this.
  38. isowhalez

isowhalez Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2016 California

Tons of water, something soupy to eat and more water. Hydrate

39. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (3,409) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Tried the old "hair of the dog" remedy a few times. It really doesn't work for me.

Water, water and more water. Then about 4 Advil and some more water.

40. Ralelen

Ralelen Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2005 Connecticut

Pho and coconut water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.