Best First Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rescindium, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rescindium

rescindium Initiate (20) Jan 30, 2014 Utah

What's the best beer to introduce someone to beer for the first time?

I would guess Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin', but I'm open to suggestions.

2. Morakaton

Morakaton Disciple (303) May 6, 2013 Michigan

Wheats and Belgians tend to be a great starting spot. Try Bell's Oberon out, crisp and drinkable, but enough flavor to drive curiousity.

digita7693 and fredmugs like this.
  3. BelgiumDude

BelgiumDude Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2014 Argentina

Bell's Oberon are really nice to try. But it really depends on where you live actually and what kind of beer you can buy there!

4. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,484) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

If I'm not mistaken Sumpin Sumpin is hopped up like Gumballhead and may not be a good starter beer. I would search for lower IBU beers like Oberon or perhaps a milk stout.

SNPA is always a great introductory pale. Work up the IBU ladder from there.

beerdedking, prock180 and SFACRKnight like this.
  5. erikro

erikro Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Massachusetts

Ruination

Shroud0fdoom, tylerstravis and tommyz like this.
  6. ZagZagg

ZagZagg Aspirant (235) May 13, 2008 New Jersey

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

BJSmit, MacTeo, teledeluxe and 7 others like this.
  7. tommyz

tommyz Devotee (400) May 28, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

my goodness...Little Sumpin' Sumpin', is NOT an introductory beer...Wheats, Kolsh, "common" ales are ones I would say..

TwoTrees and Boca-X like this.
  8. coldy

coldy Initiate (112) Sep 16, 2010 Delaware

I would say that I find most people who do not drink beer are usually pleasantly surprised by a nice hefe. Stay away from anything too dark or too hoppy

9. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

There isn't a single "best" beer to introduce someone to beer for the first time, especially if you don't know what flavors they like or dislike, so any recommendation you get here might work and it might not. For example, some people hate hops and never change but some change. Some people love hops and never change but some change. Some people start off hating the flavors from Belgian yeasts, others love them. Etc. Etc.

Boca-X likes this.
  10. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

I see wheat beers always get mentioned as a great lead in to the craft beer world...I personally love them. However my wife along with many people that I know think they taste and smell like vomit...(her words, not mine)...

I'm not trying to be argumentative but was wondering if any other beer heads have had the same results/comments?

For the record my wife does like beer and her favorites are porters and stouts but also enjoys IPAs, lagars and fruit infused beers to name a few...she just really dislikes wheats.

I think a well rounded PA would be a better place to start...no hop bombs...beers where the malts and the hops play nice together and don't try to beat eachother up?

11. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I would go for a Tripel or a Belgian Pale. Saison would fit the bill too.

SFACRKnight and cavedave like this.
  12. tommyz

tommyz Devotee (400) May 28, 2007 Michigan
    Trader

Maybe I just hang around and with different people and places...I have never in my life seen a Bud,Miller,Coors drinker have a sip of an IPA and say wow, this is just awesome..Other styles are much closer to the BMC style of beers. from what I have seen, most people who have an IPA as their "first" craft beer end up being afraid to try others...What we as craft beer drinkers might think is not a hop bomb, IS to someone who has not had an IPA...

With all that said, everyones palates are different....Ive just never personally seen what you mentioned.. :slight_smile:

EDIT: just saw you said Pale Ale and not IPA.....ugh...I could see that, but still think it might be a little too hoppy...

Boca-X likes this.
  13. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (336) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Are you trolling the junior high parking lot again????????????????

Your first beer should be served from the trunk of a car or under a pile of leaves, and there shouldbn't be a choice as to what it is. Extra special if it was somebody's dad's beer.

Seriously - starting with a 7.5% hop bomb or a tripel is a bad way to start. Go mellow / low flavor with normal ABV.

14. Knee_Deep_Fan

Knee_Deep_Fan Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2013 California

My wife hates IPA's. But, she absolutely loves Allagash White. She's more of a wine drinker, but I do keep "her" beer in stock at home for those beer moments.

15. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I like a nice sour. I find it arouses my palate.

16. montman

montman Devotee (416) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I've had several buddies start off on some basic Belgian golden ales or Wits. Seems like a common way to expand your options.

17. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (536) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

witbier, hefe, SNPA - I think these choices are best to start.

18. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

I hear ya Tommyz...we do get use to the more complexed flavors after time and yes, the hops even mellow after a while. I've had many PAs that seem very mellow...a little caramel, a little sweetness, a little hops...my palate has evolved and many seem watered down now...seems like a good place to start?

Like I said, I enjoy wheat beers but I think many people are turned off by the "rotten fruit" they pick up...again my wife's words, not mine. I was just curious if others had heard the same...I do know many women who also like wheats...in the end it's always subjective and depends on one's personal tastes.

tommyz likes this.
  19. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (553) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Sam Boston Lager and SN Pale Ale are still the best gateway/intro beers in my opinion.

mbeerdino21, mythaeus and cavedave like this.
  20. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Zealot (541) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

A nice mellow brown ale

Boca-X and cavedave like this.
  21. TheBeer

TheBeer Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2013 Wisconsin

Founder's Breakfast Stout. Everyone loves chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal.

22. Spinach937

Spinach937 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 Ohio

Dales Pale ale

raulstotle12 likes this.
  23. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (566) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina

Something malt forward and not hoppy. Great Lakes Eliot Ness or Dortmunder Gold would be a good start.

24. Josbor11

Josbor11 Devotee (435) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Maybe Magic Hat #9 or anything Leinenkugel? Hell, even a Summer Shandy. The transition from cheap college beer, to cheap craft beer, to good craft beer seems to work for most people as opposed to diving right into something more complex.

mythaeus likes this.
  25. mccorvey

mccorvey Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 North Carolina

New Belgium Trippel?

26. Josbor11

Josbor11 Devotee (435) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Also blonde ales. Maybe gnomegang?

27. Spiral517

Spiral517 Initiate (182) Sep 17, 2013 Maryland

things like magic hat #9 and landshark were what i drank the most up until about 6 months ago. then i tried a leffe blonde. opened my eyes big time to what "different" beers were like and now i am full blown craft beer crazy. the reason i bring up leffe blonde is not because i think it is a top tier beer, but because it was interesting and different without being strong or offensive. perfect starter beer or transition from cheap college beer to much better things.

28. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

You're from Utah, so why not try offering the Baba? That's a good beer that's not going to offend the pal's taste buds too much, yet has some good flavor and character to it.

29. JMaxwell

JMaxwell Initiate (152) Oct 18, 2012 Maryland
    Trader

This makes sense, and I actually remember enjoying both of these long before I got into craft beer. I would also say a solid pumpkin beer, even though they're seasonal. Schlafly Pumpkin Ale is what officially got me interested in beer and trying out other styles.

30. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (354) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota

Sam Adams Utopias - If you spend that much, you'll drink it, and you'll like it. :slight_smile:

mythaeus and ONovoMexicano like this.
  31. raulstotle12

raulstotle12 Initiate (159) Feb 19, 2014 California

yup. I'd say introduce with any APA

32. Black_ox

Black_ox Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Missouri

If not a wheat beer, kolsch is my next favorite introduction. People often find them light, crisp, and approachable unlike some other styles.

33. Loganyoung

Loganyoung Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 Georgia

Suprised it hasent been said but Boston lager

Domingo and ONovoMexicano like this.
  34. michman

michman Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

i ahve never had luck starting someone out on high IBU beers. or even moderately high. id go hefe, belgian, maybe a lighter stout. ambers or lighter APAs could work.

35. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (248) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

I'm surprised by some of the suggestions mentioned above... Do not start someone out with a hoppy or bitter or IPA or fruity tooty flavored beer. Go with a nice light, smooth refreshing type of brew, something like a real cold Fat Tire or a dare I say it, Coors light, or Natural light.

Worse thing you could do is start someone off on a DIPA mega stout, blood curdler.

36. Providence

Providence Crusader (751) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Anchor Steam
    Brooklyn Lager
    Allagash White

Or, in the case of my significant other: DFH 90 Min.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  37. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

Hoegaarden, leffe blonde, weinstephanere hefe or even weinstephaner original are all great options and are relatively easy to find as well.

BJSmit likes this.
  38. JDice20

JDice20 Aspirant (201) Aug 14, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

Left Hand Milk Stout is always a hit with people who are scared to venture out.
    I am sure a first timer would appreciate the gentleness.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  39. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 Missouri

I remember my first beer.

allenson21 likes this.
  40. mythaeus

mythaeus Champion (801) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Post #19, but yes, another vote here for Sam Adams Boston Lager. If you can get it fresh from draft, that's even better. I still like it a lot and it's the beer that keeps my wife interested in beer...until she discovered Heady Topper and Pliny the Elder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.