Best German-style Beer/Food Venues in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PapaGoose03, Jan 30, 2020.

1. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,423) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I have acquired an appreciation for German beers and food, and I travel a lot, so I'm trying to compile a list of the best German-style venues in the US that I can use during my travels (or your travels too) to visit places that can give me a great German experience for beer and/or food. I have compiled a list of breweries from the locked 2018 thread below, but have decided to expand my search beyond just breweries that were noted in that thread, and I need your suggestions. If the place that you have in mind to add is a German-owned facility such as a Hofbrauhaus, that's okay. Any venue where I can expect to see 4-5 German-style beers at any time during the year (and hopefully some German food is somewhere on the menu) is what I'm looking for.

So let me have your suggestions.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...german-style-brewery-in-north-america.560961/

To keep from getting suggestions from you that are repeats from that thread, here are the places that I compiled from it: (If you think any brewery that is already listed shouldn't be, let me know that too.)

[​IMG]

If German beers are the next coming trend like I suspect, this thread can be your guide too. Thanks for your help.

Roguer, nick_perry, champ103 and 17 others like this.
  2. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,110) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Nice list. I'd like to propose adding Brauhaus Schmitz and Frankford Hall to PA (Philly)

EDIT: May I also suggest
    • Haus Murphy's in Glendale, AZ
    • Asbury Festhalle in Asbury Park, NJ
    • Jägerberg Beer Hall in Hunter, NY
    • Mountain Brauhaus in Gardiner, NY
    • Jager Haus in Tivoli, NY
    • Bavarian Manor in Purling, NY (this one is a bit of a stretch but it's so classic/old school it's worth a mention)

#2 tzieser, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,820) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  4. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,156) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Here are my comments regarding Connecticut-
    • Two Roads (on your list) isn't a German themed brewery or place, but they do have good beer one of which is a market-friendly Pilsner and it is a nice place to visit. Only food is via rotating food trucks.
    • East Rock Brewery in New Haven only brews lagers and their German styles are quite good. No real food, but they do serve baked pretzels.
    • The Jealous Monk is a beer-hall style bar in the tourist town of Mystic. 35-40 taps plus cans and bottles are a mix of all styles, but there is always some German beer. The food menu leans heavily to German but is not exclusively so. Don't go in the summer, place is slammed.
    • East Side Restaurant in New Britain is exclusively German food and German beer. 8 German beers on a Perfect Pour tap system. Rooftop beer garden open seasonally. Only trouble is (IMO) on the weekends its almost a dinner-theater type thing with a wandering accordion guy forcing your table to sing, wear silly hats and join the room in chants of ziggy zaggy...(don't know how to spell that, but you know what I mean).

5. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (906) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Stoudt's in Adamstown, PA. Beer garden, German food, German beers, and an O.G. of American craft brewers.

Stoudt's is also in Lancaster County which has German-American heritage going back to the early 1700s, aka the "Pennsylvania Dutch" [the anglicized "Deitsch"]. There are Amish and Mennonite communities in Lancaster County that still speak a dialect of German.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,360) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Any chance you will be in Philly 30 days from now? If so I highly recommend attending the German Bierfest at The German Society of Pennsylvania (Feb. 29, 2020 this year):

“The event is held in late February, and honors our states cultural and historical ties to Germany, showcasing it through beer. Pennsylvania brewers from all across the state attend, pouring beers made in traditional German styles, as well as German importers pouring beers brewed in accordance with Germany's famous 1516 "Rheinheitsgebot" beer purity laws. Local homebrewers also get a chance to show off their German beer-inspired creations in the "Home Sweet Homebrau" taste-off. Local restaurants also participate, providing finger foods for attendees.”

https://www.germansociety.org/bierfest/

I always enjoy the German beers that Shelton Brothers brings plus the German beers from Brauhaus Schmitz. Last year there was something like 5-6 German beers served on cask (gravity pour).

Also, lots of German style beers from local craft breweries (Sly Fox, Victory, Stoudts, Neshaminy Creek, Yards, and many, many more).

And there is a German food truck that comes every year – I always buy their curry wurst platter. Yum!:+1:

I will be going again this year; my 5th time attending I believe.

Another place I would recommend in Philly is Brü Craft & Wurst:

https://www.bruphilly.com/

I just visited their website to see they have Uerige Alt on tap. Maybe a trip into the city this weekend is warranted?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

BeerForMuscle and PapaGoose03 like this.
  7. Ranbot

Society

Yeah. Brauhaus Schmitz in Philly is worth stopping into any time of the year... https://www.brauhausschmitz.com/
    Food menu is all German dishes and they have 34 draft lines all pouring beers from Germany, including ones difficult to find as [dusty] bottles/cans much less on draft, like Monchshof Schwarzbier, Jever, Andechser, Aventinus, and more. EDIT: Even if you were in Germany you would have to travel for days all over the country to get those beers on draft, now you might get them at the source, but not all in one place like at Brauhaus Schmitz.

#7 Ranbot, Jan 30, 2020
  8. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (597) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

In NYC:
    There's Zum Schneider a German beer institution in NYC. They're being forced out of their current location by a greedy landlord, but hopefully will find a new space in which to recreate their magic.
    I've also heard good things about Folksbier in Brooklyn, NY. Doesn't exclusively brew German styles, but they make some top-notch lagers as well as a 'Glow Up' series of fruited Berliner Weisse-style beers. But the only food they offer is bar snacks with a twist.

tobelerone, Coronaeus, rousee and 2 others like this.
  9. PapaGoose03

Society

Nice list! I'll add them.

tzieser likes this.
  10. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Defender (671) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

In Philly, there's a neighborhood local in the Northeast called Hop Angel. For a million years, it was The Brauhaus, but it's been sold a couple of times and now it's Hop Angel Public House. It still has German beer & food, though. And it's quite good.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  11. PapaGoose03

Society

They're 'flying' the German colors so it must be good. It's also kind of on my way to Oregon to visit my daughter. Two good points. Thanks.

Bitterbill likes this.
  12. PapaGoose03

Society

I need to get to Connecticut because it's one of the last few states in which I need to drink a beer to fulfill my bucket list thing to drink a beer in every state. If it's a German beer, well that's all the better. The baked pretzels is a good enough reason to help justify a stop at East Rock. Thanks for the suggestions.

woodchipper likes this.
  13. PapaGoose03

Society

I think Stoudt's was discussed in that original thread but somehow it didn't get listed. It will be now. Thanks.

Ranbot likes this.
  14. PapaGoose03

Society

Ooooh, that festival is tempting. I'll have to get back to you about going. I'm planning another European trip for April, so I have to be careful about busting the budget. :confused:

15. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,636) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

The Colorado locations are spot on. There are some other places with great individual German beers (Dry Dock, Wibby, etc.), but none that specifically focus on them like the ones you have.

eppCOS, beergoot and PapaGoose03 like this.
  16. PapaGoose03

Society

Thanks for seconding Jack's suggestion. It will definitely be on the list.

17. PapaGoose03

Society

Thanks for the suggestions. They'll get added to the list.

18. PapaGoose03

Society

Apparently Philly is going to be on one of my future itineraries. Thanks for the suggestion.

BeerForMuscle likes this.
  19. PapaGoose03

Society

Maybe the ones on my list that were from that old thread came from you if they are 'spot on.' :wink: Thanks for the reply.

Domingo likes this.
  20. zid

zid Meyvn (1,408) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I understand that you acknowledge that the previous thread you're referencing was for breweries. Specifically, that thread asked: "Which North American brewery has the overall strongest portfolio of German and Austrian style beers?"

I get that there is some synergy between the two threads, but thinking of them together is very chaotic to me. Since people in these forums are so brewery-focused, you'll probably see much of this discussion focusing on some very American-ish breweries. This thread will get very muddled very quickly.

To show you what I mean (and to contribute to the mud :wink:) - In your list above, Suarez is the NY brewery that I'm most familiar with. While they are a somewhat good answer for the previous thread (because they make very good lagers), I would never consider them a German-style brewery... and I would never include them in a conversation about German-style venues... and especially not a "great German experience." It's a TOTAL misfit in that conversation.

21. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (268) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

Whitsett? Holy Crap! used to work in that bleep! hole of a town.
    Sorry if anyone is from there. I really am.....

dbrauneis and PapaGoose03 like this.
  22. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Aspirant (231) Nov 9, 2010 New York

May I suggest 2 additions to Rochester New York area?:

Swan Market - Swanmarket.com

Located in the city , not too far from Rochester Public Market ( an absolute stop), more for the food and atmosphere than the beer.They do have a few German beers on tap and more choices in bottles, but in addition to being a small restaurant, they are still a German butcher shop. They make ALL their own products from sausages- smoked and fresh to hams,bacon,salami,liverwurst,etc.
    When you step inside, you will know you are at a special place!

About half an hour south of Rochester, in Canandaigua, is the RheinblIck German Restaurant. A very traditional German restaurant. A large taplist,maybe only German beers? and a huge food menu.
    The wait staff is all dressed in traditional clothing and the inside makes you feel like you are in Germany.

23. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (44) Dec 5, 2019

Care to put a wager on that one?

officerbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  24. PapaGoose03

Society

Apparently Red Oak is highly popular because there were several nominations for it in that old thread. Maybe things have improved in Whitsett since you worked there.

25. PapaGoose03

Society

I'm trying to help with the marketing of German beers. Maybe I'll create the trend with this thread. :wink:

officerbill likes this.
  26. beerwego

We have a massive German bier garden in Western Long Island called The Plattdeustche, and it has the most disappointing German beer lineup, largely centered around Krombacher, Spaten and Erdinger. The festivals are fairly massive and the bands fly in from Munich. It has a lot of history and good food....but man does the beer lineup blow

https://www.parkrestaurant.com/beer-menu/

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  27. DavidK1126

DavidK1126 Initiate (49) May 7, 2019 New Jersey
    Trader

I was there last week. The Hop Angel has changed its menu and no longer is serving German-styled food. There are still two or three German beers on draft. It is under common ownership with the Grey Lodge and Bonks.

JackHorzempa and PapaGoose03 like this.
  28. PapaGoose03

Society

Apparently I only paid attention to the title of that old thread and overlooked the mention of Austria in that post. So far we're good... no one has suggested Austrian places to add to my list. Maybe some vetting will have to be done to get what I want, but no big deal either. Thanks for pointing that out; I'll be on the lookout.

29. DavidK1126

Trader

I'm Pennsylvania Dutch and grew up not far from Adamstown. I know this place well and strongly recommend it. The owner was the first woman to own a U. S. brewery since the repeal of Prohibition. Since the mid-1980s, there has been a clear focus on German-style lagers, and the food menu features many German classics. There are also a number of antique German drinking vessels on display.

officerbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  30. PapaGoose03

Society

Maybe I'll have to go there and complain about the line-up, but it could be a learning experience too. I'm cetrainly not any kind of expert on German beers, so drinking the less exciting beers will be helpful. I'll wash the beer down with the good food. :wink:

31. PapaGoose03

Society

Thanks for the updated info.

32. beerwego

Don't get me wrong, the beers taste fine, but to be such a massive venue and not have some specialty beers like Eisbocks, Rauchbiers and Weizenbocks etc...and no Weihenstehpaner, Ayinger etc. etc.

33. PapaGoose03

Society

Stoudt's clearly needs to be on the list. I've had some of their bottled beers years ago, but they don't distro to Michigan as far as I know. Can't recall where I got them.

34. DavidK1126

Trader

Brauhaus Schmitz has the largest number of German import beers on offer of any bar or restaurant in the United States. There is a very appealing German-focused food menu, with six or seven house-made German-style sausages on offer. The chef has published a cookbook of German dishes. To me, this is the most outstanding place to drink beer in southeastern Pennsylvania.

35. PapaGoose03

Society

Coincidentally I've been to a German restaurant in Columbus, Ohio, with a similar name, Schmidt's, but I don't think is has the same pedigree of what the descriptions are for Brauhaus Schmitz. It's going on the list. Thanks for the input.

36. Ranbot

Society

Yeah. The amount of German-ness between those categories varies a lot. Like Victory on the original list, makes good German-style beers, but otherwise being in the brewery feels very much American. I would say the same thing for Sly Fox [unless you attend their annual Bock Fest & Goat Race]

If the menu doesn't at least have spaetzle I would be skeptical of it's German-ness. :wink:

PapaGoose03 and zid like this.
  37. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,208) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

Here's my list for the NYC/NJ area. (Had to thrown in the Newportville Inn in PA also because it's awesome). I've been to almost all of them so if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.

NYC - Manhattan
    Zum Schneider (RIP soon :cry:)
    Cafe Katja
    Heidelberg
    Loreley
    Hofbräu Bierhaus
    Reichenbach Hall
    Berlin Currywurst in Chelsea Market

NYC - Brooklyn
    Radegast Hall & Biergarten
    Black Forest Brooklyn - 2 locations

NYC - Queens
    Max Bratwurst Und Bier

NYC - Staten Island
    Killmeyer's

NJ
    Pilsener Haus - Hoboken
    Asbury Festhalle & Biergarten - Asbury Park
    Zeppelin Hall - Jersey City
    Würstbar - Jersey City
    Redd's Biergarten - Newark
    Ramstein (High Point) - no food, just a brewery

PA
    Newportville Inn

LatersFine, PapaGoose03 and tzieser like this.
  38. DavidK1126

Trader

Add to the list:

Austrian Village Bar & Restaurant (321 Huntingdon Pike, Jenkintown, PA)
    There are some German imported beers on offer, and the food menu has some really nice German and Austrian specialties.

Newportville Inn (4120 Lower Road, Levittown, PA)
    Similar to the Austrian Village in conception but with better food and more German imported beers on draft. This is an unpretentious neighborhood joint.

Blue Danube Restaurant (538 Adeline Street, Trenton, NJ)
    The food here is not exclusively German, as there are some Eastern European specialties, too. The beer list here is small, but it is really something, with some German and Eastern European bottles that I've never seen elsewhere. This is one of the last remnants of Eastern (and Middle) European culture left in Trenton.

39. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,110) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Thanks! To be honest I've only been to a few of the ones in NY but I've heard good things.

I gotta say, Haus Murphy's deserves to make the list because it is/was the only authentic German food/beer experience in the PHX metro area. I'm sure they've probably added a hipster biergarden in Scottsdale, Tempe or Gilbert by now but Haus Murphy's deserves the respect for longevity alone. Prost!

EDIT: I would've suggested "Best of the Wurst" in RIverside (South Jersey) but they do not have a liquor license (it's BYO) so it didn't make the cut. Good food though!

#39 tzieser, Jan 30, 2020
    PapaGoose03 likes this.
  40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,321) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

My favorite in NC would be Old Mecklenburg, it’s in Charlotte and it situated on 4 acres in the city; Yes, 4 acres.

Great venue, inside, outside, music, food inside and out, multiple beer stations, beers to go and as complete a beer lineup as you could find. Swag. Capt Jack Pils is my favorite, and all there beers are served in the proper glassware, no thanks to shaker pints.

Red Oak is a smaller version of OMB, beers are more limited too, maybe 5 on tap. Inside, outside, pet friendly, food trucks, beers served in proper glassware, beers to go, swag.