Best German-style Beer/Food Venues in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PapaGoose03, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,697) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

https://mtangelsausage.com/

In the rural Willamette Valley. A town founded by Bavarian immigrants. Its excellent working class German food and beer. No fancy stuff .
    Just out of town is the Mt. Angel Abbey..lovely abbey with a brewery.

2. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,705) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

San Antonio folks will have to weigh in on this—what’s the word on Kuenstler? They seem German-themed… but I also see a few IPAs on their tap list.

https://www.kuenstlerbrewing.com/

boddhitree likes this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,632) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

This looks like a cool little place. I've added it to the spreadsheet. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. PapaGoose03

Society

Yeah, I'd like to hear from some San Antonio folks too. This brewery was nominated way back in post #183 (along with Alamo Brewing) and I was on the fence back them about whether to add them. The first review for Kunstler calls them a "German-themed sports brewery" and reports that only two German-style beers were on tap. The food menu has some German dishes but many more are non-German.

Alamo Brewing has a sausage sandwich on their food menu as the only item that could be anywhere close to a German food item, and a Honey Cocoa Doppleweizen on the beer list. I think I made the right decision in not adding them to the spreadsheet.

Is there anyone in San Antonio who wants to chime in on whether Kunstler is a good German experience?

Thanks for bringing Kunstler back for a second consideration.

5. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,778) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

@PapaGoose03 - Here are my suggestions for edits to the NYC area locations on your sheet:

I'd get rid of Folksbier. It's a modern craft brewery with some German focus, but not enough to include... just like you wouldn't include every US brewer with a pilsner on your list. Their current tap-list is: three IPA/pale ales, a Belgian witbier, and two so-called Berliners with things like yuzu and guava.

Get rid of Zum Schnieder. They're gone for now or forever.

Change your format for the three "NYC - Long Island" locations. Long Island isn't NYC... or a city. For the real NYC spots, you listed their neighborhood after their name. For those three Long Island spots, you put the city/village that would be their address after their name. That info should be in the "city" column instead. The way you have Plattduetsche Park listed is proper - as "Franklin Square" for the city rather than "NYC - Long Island." Ditto for The Village Lanterne in Lindenhurst.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  6. PapaGoose03

Society

Yeah, it sure doesn't look like Folksbier has any sort of a commitment to be a German experience. I'll remove them.

Forever may be the case. I can always add them back if ever they re-open somewhere and someone tells me about it.

I recognize that Long Island is not part of NYC, but I set those Long Island addresses the way I did because I asked myself if someone was visiting NYC and looked at the list, would they recognize a small town name on LI (higher or lower on the list, thus not connected to NYC) to realize it's possibly within driving distance? So you're saying that wouldn't be all that helpful?

7. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (149) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Another closure to report: Gasthof zur Gemutlichkeit in Minneapolis has permanently closed.

8. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,778) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

That would be helpful, but it's not consistent in your sheet. You have some Long Island locations that aren't listed that way. Some of the LI locations that you have listed that way are much further away from NYC than certain New Jersey places (and I doubt you'll want to put NJ spots in the NY section). I also think the same logic could be used for any other area in the country.

To use your other NY entries (outside of NYC) as examples, a visitor to Albany would find it helpful to know that Wolff's in Troy* is/was just 10 minutes from Wolff's in Albany (which is waaaaay closer than the Long Island spots are to NYC), or that visitors to Buffalo who want to go to Hofbrauhaus are also in the same area as Schnitzel & Co in East Amherst*... but the list isn't organized that way in those cases. (And I honestly think those examples are more useful to readers than the difficult-to-drive-in and restaurant-oversaturated NYC area. :slight_smile:) Perhaps it would be beneficial to have a separate "region" column for every spot that you could populate with things like "NYC area", "Central NY", etc. and the reader can chose to sort the data that way if desired. (But I know it's a bunch of extra work to create that column)

Just trying to be helpful (so I hope it isn't taken as annoying). :beers:

*BTW, in looking at the rest of your NY entries for my examples above, I can tell you that Schnitzel & Co. should be listed as an East Amherst location only rather than that and Tonawanda... and Wolff's Biergarten in Troy was renamed Troy Beer Garden and no longer resembles a "German" place (the other Wolff's locations remain).

9. PapaGoose03

Society

Okay, thanks. I'll get it removed. Have you requested a "Closed' status for their BA page?

10. PapaGoose03

Society

Okay, thanks. I recognize that places on Long Island could be 20-30 miles away from the city (or more?) so I should change those listings to the actual city. Consistency is what is needed, and the one that is on Long Island that I didn't connect to NYC was probably overlooked by me and no connection was made on the place's website or social media. I'll go back and fix those three LI locations. However, even though it could be helpful, the extra work to create a 'regional' column in the spreadsheet would be too much at this point, and I'm going to rely upon people recognizing city names and that postal addresses might be 4-6 miles (or more) outside city limits. People have to do a little scouting work on their own.

I'll sort out what you've said about other NY places in the list and make changes accordingly. And you're not being annoying at all. I appreciate your input.

zid likes this.
  11. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (149) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I just did, thanks for suggesting.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  12. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,903) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Too lazy to look if this is on your list. In Baywater section of NOLA. Beers and food will pull me there when i need a change of pace in a NOLA December trip.

https://bratzyall.com/#

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  13. PapaGoose03

Society

Yep, it's already on the spreadsheet. I had a note there that's this place is fast food style, and your weblink shows a pic of a walk-up window and picnic tables. However, the menu has entrees that would seem to say nice indoor dining. Is there indoor seating?

14. ventura78

ventura78 Aspirant (268) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

WunderLlama and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. PapaGoose03

Society

Got that one already. It was suggested way back in post #68. Thanks for your vote, though.

ventura78 likes this.
  16. SSGCujo

SSGCujo Disciple (340) Jul 12, 2016 Wisconsin

I went to a new bar/restaurant in Milwaukee, called The Wurst Bar. They had good food and a decent beer menu. They were out of Dunkleweiss. It has a new Germany-Berlin type feel.

17. hopfenunmaltz

Society

I might know at the end of Dec.

18. PapaGoose03

Society

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at its details tomorrow to see if I can list it.

Okay, thanks. I mistook the wording in your post that sounded like you've been there while on previous trips to NOLA. I'll be interested to hear back from you about your experience.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  19. SSGCujo

Von Trier is an old school classic German style pub in Milwaukee. Murals on the walls and dark wood everywhere. Good food and a great beer selection. The old owners tried to change it to a modern cocktail bar. A petition was sent around and the old owners remodeled, rather than sell. A must if you like German themed pubs!

steveh and PapaGoose03 like this.
  20. PapaGoose03

Society

Both of these places certainly have more than a few German-style beers, but there is a mixed bag on the few ratings on their BA pages, and neither place seems to emphasize these beers. Neither place seems to tout themselves as German inspired theme-wise, and the lack of German vibe or food (Smith and Lenz has an Oktoberfest menu right now, but likely will revert to pizza-only soon) so that I don't see a good German 'experience' at either place. Let me know if things change in the future and I'll be happy to add either or both.

Thanks again for suggesting them.

21. PapaGoose03

Society

Looks good on paper for a new place. The owners also operate two other similar places, so their expertise should make this location a good German experience.

I've added it to the spreadsheet. Thanks for the suggestion.

22. PapaGoose03

Society

@steveh likes them too. He suggested Von Trier way back in post #99.

steveh likes this.
  23. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,611) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

@PapaGoose03 -- I can never find the spread sheet list, but I just read that Fritzl's in Lake Zurich, IL is closing at year's end. In fact, the restaurant is closed and just the bar (gaming room) is open right now. Sad, since they've been sort of an institution. Victim of not being able to find any help.

I'm pretty sure it was on the list.

24. PapaGoose03

Society

I think I have each of your corrections completed. Thanks for your help in keeping me accurate.

zid likes this.
  25. SSGCujo

Von Trier has Weihenstephaner Vitus and Schneider Weisse Aventinus on tap!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  26. PapaGoose03

Society

Yeah, Fritzi's was on the list. I've deleted them. No sense waiting until the end of the year. Thanks for the info.

I try to put the spreadsheet link in a post occasionally so that it's always near the end of the thread. The last one was in post #594, but here it is again:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vvgzuuhF7JA9Q2TWIIM0WVK-pX2YG7LHR-uGu8NkA5U/edit?usp=sharing

steveh likes this.
  27. ATL6245

ATL6245 Meyvn (1,036) Aug 16, 2018 Georgia
    Society

Tucker Brewing Co., Tucker (Atlanta area), GA - Dedicated to German style beers. Has a restaurant as well. Excellent soft pretzel the size of your head!
    https://tuckerbrewing.com/

Halfway Crooks, Atlanta, GA - These guys don't bill themselves necessarily as a German style beer brewery, but that's pretty much most of what they brew & some of the best German style beers around.
    https://halfwaycrooks.beer/

Gasthous Tirol, Cumming, GA (Atlanta area) - This is very near me. Small place, but good quality food and great German beers available.
    http://www.gasthaus-cumming.com/

Helen, GA - This is a little town about an hour & 45 north of Atlanta built like a Bavarian Village. One of the longest running Octoberfest celebrations in the U.S. Several German restaurants:

Bodensee Restaurant - https://bodenseerestaurant.com
    Hofbrauhaus Restaurant - https://www.hofbrauhaushelenga.net/
    Hofer's of Helen - Wonderful bakery here https://www.hofers.com/

PapaGoose03 and emerge077 like this.
  28. PapaGoose03

Society

You're a treasure trove of new places to add, and them some. I added all of those in your list, as well as The Heidelberg Restaurant in Helen. When I looked at a Google map of Helen I spied an identifier for The Heidelberg Restaurant, so I looked up info on it and I found what looks like a very good-looking German experience. Have you been there?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

ATL6245 likes this.
  29. steveh

Society

Good god, I think I was there almost 20 years ago. I wish I could remember my experience to tell you a story... but maybe that's telling in itself.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  30. steveh

Society

It was colder in Helen than in Northern Illinois on my one visit there. Even snowed!

I see they closed the bear pits. Probably a good thing. Seemed kinda' cruel.

ATL6245 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  31. ATL6245

Society

I have not been to The Heidelberg Restaurant, but have heard it is good too.

Happy to be of service!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  32. ATL6245

Society

I know most people don't think about it, but we can get some pretty good cold snaps in North GA. It snows up in the mountains a couple times every year.

steveh and PapaGoose03 like this.
  33. Hefewiseman

Hefewiseman Disciple (389) Sep 6, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Mr. Dunderbak’s in Tampa…
    it’s honestly incredible. Been going there since 2010 since college days at USF. They’re German food selection is unbelievable as well as their massive, massive tap list. So many hard to find European beers both in bottles and on tap.
    One of my all-time favorite gems.
    https://dunderbaksbeer.wordpress.com/

Barriehaus Brewing in Ybor City-Tampa. Who doesn’t love an all lager brewery with some nice outside seating?

Redrover and PapaGoose03 like this.
  34. PapaGoose03

Society

Someone else also likes both of these places. Both were suggested somewhere above in this thread, and both have been added to my Google spreadsheet. Thanks for the suggestions. :+1:

Hefewiseman likes this.
  35. Hefewiseman

Hefewiseman Disciple (389) Sep 6, 2011 Florida
    Trader

*Their** re-read, saw my misspelling and cringed lol

36. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Poo-Bah (1,712) Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

I'm going to have to respectively disagree with you on Barrique. Half of their menu are German style lagers and half are sours. Having been their and sampled many of their lagers, I can attest they are the best in Nashville and many other places I've been to. They do world class German biers and are not to be missed if you find yourself in Nashville.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  37. PapaGoose03

Society

I can take another look.

FLBeerGuy likes this.
  38. hopfenunmaltz

Society

It is authentic. My Schweinebraten was very good, as was my wife's Jagerschnitzel. You can get quick German style food if you want, i.e. Currywurst, Döner, various Wurst. The beer selection was just 8 German beers, the two I tried were fresh and poured with a nice head.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  39. steveh

Society

While Barrique may make some good German styles, so does my new favorite local Roaring Table. However, I'd never label either as having a German vibe like the other locations on your database.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  40. PapaGoose03

Society

Looking at Barrique, the place as a whole, their line-up does not give an indication that the brewery presents a broad German experience. Of the beers listed on their website, there are 8 different lagers plus 3 alse available on draft or in cans (many of the draft beers are also offered in cans so I didn't double count them), but not all of them are typically German. And there are 22 bottled sours to further define this brewery as not a solid German experience.

Further looking at the lagers, a Pre-pro Corn Lager, an Italian Pilsner, a Carolina Rice Lager and two English styles don't fit the hoped-for German experience, plus two of the listed true German styles are aged in wine or bourbon barrels to keep them from being true, traditional German beers. Maybe they're all excellent beers in whatever form they are finished and served, and, yes, I'd be curious to visit this brewery/blendery to try everything (including the sours) because it does sound like it would be a great experience, but enjoying them would not be a German experience on the whole. So this brewery doesn't quite fit what I intend my spreadsheet to include in its listings.

FLBeerGuy and steveh like this.