Best German-style Beer/Food Venues in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by PapaGoose03, Jan 30, 2020.

1. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,678) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

@grantcty answered your question about these places not being listed. I don't know how I missed Hofbrauhaus because I thought I had all of the US locations in the spreadsheet. Maybe it's a new location? Regardless, I'll get it listed and double check all of the others.

Thanks for posting it. If you know of more that aren't on the spreadsheet, please let me know.

#721 PapaGoose03, Sep 23, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    grantcty likes this.
  2. PapaGoose03

Society

I have Bohemian listed as being in Midvale rather than SLC, so you just overlooked it in the spreadsheet. I agree with you that it's highly recommended because I've been there and know how good it is. It's one of my earliest German-American places that I've visited and helped me discover my love of the culture. I'd love to get back there someday, but there are so many places yet to visit that are easier for me to get to.

Thanks for your post.

P.S. Nice pic!

MadMadMike and ChicagoJ like this.
  3. PapaGoose03

Society

The place looks like it's a bit 'Americanized' but I'd go there for a German experience. I'll get it listed tomorrow when I get to my desktop. Thanks for the lead.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  4. PapaGoose03

Society

It looks like the biergarten is now open and is celebrating Oktoberfest on the weekends. Do you live close enough to go and check out the place and post your experience? No sweat if you can't. I'll wait until I see reviews on social media, etc. Thanks.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. PapaGoose03

Society

Your link to Hofbraus goes nowhere. Is the place open now? I can find an 'Unofficial' Facebook page for Hofbrauhaus which has a Milwaukee address, but its weblink goes to a Thai restaurant. Also, is there any significance to how you spell 'Hofbraus' instead of 'Hofbrauhaus'?

While looking at Milwaukee's German-inspired places I found the Bavarian Bierhaus that looks like a nice place, so I added it. Was it one of the places that you mentioned as "there are more"?

ChicagoJ likes this.
  6. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,815) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society Trader

That's sad about Winzer Stub. Was just there over the holidays last winter. Guess one fewer place to go that doesn't focus on hazy's, pastry stouts and sours.

Gausthaus in Stillwater opened the outdoor beer garden on weekends this past summer but nothing inside. Waiting and hoping someone buys it and keeps it the same. Great property.

7. PapaGoose03

Society

It looks like a great German-American venue to add to my spreadsheet, so let me know if it ever re-opens. Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, looking at past posts I already had this one listed and removed it when it was reported as being closed. I hope it can open again as the same thing.

#727 PapaGoose03, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    ChicagoJ likes this.
  8. PapaGoose03

Society

@FritzieGettleman I think I have solved the mystery of whether Hofbrauhaus is open. I noticed the address of the unofficial Facebook page for Hofbrauhaus-Milwakee is the same address as the Old German Beer Hall, so they seem to be operating under the dual identity. One other news post that I read from a Google search all but said they are the same place. Since both names seem to be used I'll add the 'Hofbraus' name (spelled like that since it's not an official Hofbrauhaus location) to my spreadsheet.

If anyone knows something different, let me know. Thanks.

ChicagoJ and grantcty like this.
  9. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,082) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Was at the Newportville Inn in Bristol PA tonight. 1700s building. Outdoor seating. Dark tavern inside.

Liter of Spaten Oktoberfest and a pretzel the size of the table they make in house. Plus kasenspaetzel. Meatballs. A wurst plate. Potato pancakes. Also have a to go beer store. A lot of great stuff on tap in 10oz. Half liter or liter.

[​IMG]
    For reference the beer is a full liter mug. This thing was massive.

[​IMG]

I'll be going back next weekend no doubt. 4 minutes drive from me. Hidden gem. Place was packed.

10. PapaGoose03

Society

Oh, lordy, lordy, look a that pretzel! I'm glad that the place delivered a great experience for you. Your pics made me hungry and thirsty. Thanks for the report. :slight_smile:

Are Newportville and Bristol two different locations for this inn? The spreadsheet has it in Newportville.

Urk1127 and ChicagoJ like this.
  11. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,082) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

As far as I know Newportville is a neighborhood of Bristol. Similar to neighborhoods in Brooklyn are their own but still all Brooklyn. I noticed moving here that Bristol and Levittown PA do this and people general ask which part you live in when you tell them you live here. Just because the towns are so big and spread out. Somebody like me can live in west Bristol and be 10 minute drive from Bourough which is still the same town. Or be in Snowball Glen area of Levittown and drive 15 minutes north to get to Mill Creek and it's the same town.

Googling directions it actually says Levittown. (Which covers like 10 miles of area its crazy to think) To me it's not levittown. Maps and things out here are very strange.

Newportville is old time and I personally see a lot of German influence in the architecture in the area. But it's small enough I'd call it a neighborhood.

12. Mark37890

Mark37890 Initiate (10) Nov 12, 2020 Tennessee

Another great place you are missing in South Carolina..
    Hans & Franz Biergarten
    3124 SC-14, Greenville, SC 29615
    1(864) 627-8263 https://g.co/kgs/U1XsX3

13. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,657) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I'm pretty sure it's a sanctioned HB tavern/Bierhall -- let me do some digging.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  14. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,657) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

@PapaGoose03 -- they have HB all over their website and have the licensing disclaimer for usage at the bottom of the page. But I'll try to contact them direct to find out how direct the connection is.

It's a location that's been around longer than the newer Bierhall--Brew-pubs, IIRC.*

*Opened in 2005.

https://oldgermanbeerhall.com/

#734 steveh, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    ChicagoJ and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. PapaGoose03

Society

That does look like a great place. I'll get it added to the spreadsheet tomorrow when I get to my desktop. Thanks for submitting it.

SLeffler27 and ChicagoJ like this.
  16. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,969) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Yay! Another place to check out when visiting the area.

17. PapaGoose03

Society

Okay, I was there this afternoon. A perfect weather day - 70 and sunny with a lazy breeze. I have the biergarten added as a Places location, and will try to write a review tomorrow and get it added to the spreadsheet. Food and beer were both great. The only negatives are that it's not in Germany, and the oompah music was coming from a weak sound system that looked like it's temporary (someone's home stereo).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The biergarten is open thru October, so if you're in the area check social media for the hours and whether they are open if rainy weather is an issue.

boddhitree, ChicagoJ, Rug and 10 others like this.
  18. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,196) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I came to mention that The Haus at Human Robot in Jenkintown, PA has a pretty good veggie schnitzel sandwich, but looking at @PapaGoose03’s last post has me rethinking that sentiment.

19. PapaGoose03

Society

I see this brewery has two locations listed here on BA, and European-style beers are brewed. Let me chew on this one a bit when I have more time before I decide to list it. I think it will come down to how much of a German experience can you get just drinking some traditional styles in a brewpub setting. Thanks for the suggestion.

ChicagoJ and thebeers like this.
  20. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,196) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Human Robot makes great lagers, including some German-style ones, but I wouldn’t seriously include them on a list of best German spots. The Philly location doesn’t have German food at all; the Jenkintown one does, but it’s not top notch; and the vibe of neither is particularly German.

That said, as vegetarian schnitzel sandwiches and lager combos go, the Jenkintown spot has gotta be up there. :beers:

[EDIT: I finally read the OP. There are much more authentic German spots in Southeast Pennsylvania than Human Robot Jenkintown, but it probably has better German-inspired beer and more German-inspired food than Neshaminy Creek, Sly Fox, Troegs or Victory.]

#740 thebeers, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  21. PapaGoose03

Society

Okay, that settles it. I won't list them on the spreadsheet.

ChicagoJ likes this.