Best Halloween candy & beer pairing combos?

Discussion in 'Food' started by thebeers, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeers

thebeers Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

What are your favorite Halloween candy and beer pairing combinations?

I like Milky Ways and Founders Breakfast Stout myself. This article has some pairings I hadn't thought of before, but will be trying soon, like Oktoberfest and peanut butter cups.

Other ideas? Please post any real time tasting notes here or on WBAYDN over the coming days as you dig into those Halloween leftovers.

2. Squire

Squire Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I drink beer while handing out the candy and that's about it.

3. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

In the neighborhood that I used to live in people gave out beers to the adults who showed up, usually a mix of basic beers (Bud Light Lime, Corona, Heineken, etc.) and pumpkin beers. I'd occasionally have a Jolly Rancher or gummy bear with the regular beers, but Reese's went well with the pumpkin beers ~ keep in mind I'm fairly against mixing beers and candy but on Halloween after an hour or so of walking around is an exception even I can make.

4. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I've yet to this day found a beer that pairs well to my pallet with most foods. I can drink in a restaurant eating a steak or something, but for the most part I drink after the food is digested.

HopHead89, StoutElk_92 and thebeers like this.
  5. thebeers

Society Trader

I like to drink "special" bottles I'm reviewing without food, but I've found a crisp pilsner goes well with most meals. A west coast IPA and a burger, a Brooklyn Brown Ale and a burrito, a saison at Thanksgiving -- all delicious. Of course, everyone's taste is different.

6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I don't do it often but I have enjoyed a Butterfinger with a good stout. The other day I was snacking on the kids candy and noticed this mix was actually very tasty. LOL
    So my vote is Butterfinger.

7. jhavs

jhavs Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Jolly Ranchers and Zima?

8. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

That made me pee a little.

As to the OP? Chocolate and dark beer, especially stouts and porters, is pretty much a no-brainer.

9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I enjoy a good barleywine (preferably English), with a Snickers. Lots of caramel, nutty, chocolaty goodness.

Just be sure to have a dentist appointment setup for the next day.

10. McMatt7

McMatt7 Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

Rochefort 10 and raisinettes

thebeers, StoutElk_92 and TongoRad like this.
  11. jhavs

jhavs Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I like something dark, roasty, maybe with coffee to go with something sweet.

Lone_Freighter and thebeers like this.
  12. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Funky Buddha’s Butta Cup with Reese’s

TheDoctor and thebeers like this.
  13. Realsambo

Realsambo Apr 15, 2016 Texas

I've always enjoyed bitter beer with spicy food. So I would imagine a nice high ibu ipa would be nice with those nasty hot tamale candies. I'll have to try it this year if my kid gets any.

McMatt7 and thebeers like this.
  14. TongoRad

TongoRad Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

There's something about the peanut and chocolate combo that makes it work - I've been using peanut M&Ms as a beer snack since my dive bar days. There's also those candy coated 'beer nuts' that don't seem to be too much of a stretch :wink:.

But there may be some others in the article worth trying. The saison with gummys strikes me as one.

15. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Hardywood Trickery w/ a caramel apple

McMatt7 and thebeers like this.
  16. DISKORD

DISKORD Feb 28, 2017 South Carolina

Ummmm....absolutely NO!

17. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

While I'm sitting in the driveway on Tuesday passing out candy, I'll be drinking some All Day IPAs. If I was to pair candy and beer, Oskar Blues Death by Coconut and a Mounds or Almond Joy

bl00 and thebeers like this.
  18. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

I've said it before and I'll say it again: You can't improve on peanut butter and chocolate. Best combo there is. I think Reese's go well with most beers, but it is hard to beat them with ice-cold, fizzy macro-lagers with a decent hop presence (Heineken et al.). They really clean your palate up and allow for maximum candy consumption/enjoyment/eventual diabetes.:nerd:

VABA and thebeers like this.
  19. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

One of my hometown breweries makes a candy bar stout (McFate Brewing - AZ) Man its amazing.

20. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Can I ask what part of PA this was? I am assuming outskirts of Philly or Pittsburgh?

21. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Correct, Bala Cynwyd, just across the Philly borderline.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  22. Billolick

Billolick Dec 20, 2003 New York
    Society

Brown Shugga and some butterfingers

thebeers likes this.
  23. BeastOfTheNortheast

Sounds like a good time trick or treating. We just moved from Harrisburg to rural PA, so I don't see that happening lol. But, I could see that in Harrisburg for sure.

thebeers likes this.
  24. thebeers

Society Trader

To my taste, milk chocolate actually pairs better with many beers than dark chocolate. A good quality milk chocolate and a Ayinger Celebrator are a thing of beauty.

25. thebeers

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Paring 1: Neshaminy Creek Oktoberfest and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup

The OFest / Peanut Butter Cup pairing isn't one I've tried before. The caramel notes of the Marzen-style beer could work well with the peanut butter, but the strong breadiness in this one isn't really a home run. It's not bad, but doesn't really add to the experience of either one, IMO. Sam Adams, Great Lakes or even Ayinger might be better. I do think the carbonation in this one does a good job of holding up to -- and cutting through -- the chocolate and other tastes in the candy here; but I suspect that would be true for most beers.

May be back with another pairing later this evening.

TongoRad likes this.
  26. Junior

Junior May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

So I was drinking a KBS tonight and my son handed me his Reese's Pieces from his Halloween bag. Man did they compliment each other nicely.

Please share your favorites.

27. BeastOfTheNortheast

This is already in the Beer and Food forum, but I had a Butterfinger with Stegmaier Pumpkin Ale and that was the GOAT!

TonyLema1 likes this.
  28. bl00

bl00 May 13, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Kit Kats went really well with Modern Time's Black House.

29. SteveSexton203

SteveSexton203 Feb 19, 2014 Connecticut

Aslin & Any candy

thebeers likes this.
  30. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Jun 4, 2017 Vermont

Age a Founders Porter for at least 5 months and have with a Nestles Crunch, that's what I dig the most.

thebeers and VABA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.