Best Hoppy Beer Glass - 2018 Edition

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DEdesings57, Aug 21, 2018.

?

Best Beer Glass For Hoppy Ales

1. The Ultimate Pint "Be Hoppy Beer Glass"

3 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. The Nelson Sauvin Beer Glass

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. The Tulip

51 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. The Teku

33 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. The Luigi Bormioli Birrateque Craft Beer Glasses IPA

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. The Spiegelau Tulip Classics

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. Sempli Monti-IPA Clear Beer Glasses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Libbey Craft Brews IPA Glass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The - Does it really matter ?

31 vote(s)
    18.3%
  10. The Spiegelau IPA Glass

40 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (451) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

The Original post for this can be found here:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/commun...battle-spiegelau-ipa-vs-teku-vs-tulip.415432/

But I wanted to do an updated version with many more options and with the objective of seeing how the perspective on craft beer glasses that enhance hop foreword ales have changed. I also wanted to be a little more specific on what Hoppy Glassware means for me.

Hoppy Beer Glasses for me enhance hop forward Ales by capturing aromatics into a narrow focal point before being release into it's surrounding environment while maintain low warming effects.This is not limited to IPA, but can include Pale Ales or in fact any craft beer in which the dry hopping plays a significant character in the overall experience of the beer.

This post/poll is designed for choosing the best Beer Glass the enhances and Captures the essence of hop forward ales!

Let the Battle Begin!

hopsputin likes this.
  2. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (2,901) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Premium

I really think the Spiegelau IPA glass is the best. Captures aroma very well and the ridges at the bottom really bring out all the flavor. The Teku is a superb all round glass, but for hoppy stuff I use the Spiegelau at least 7 times out of 10.

3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (835) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

A White Wine glass

Tamarack, rgordon, beertrip and 4 others like this.
  4. seakayak

seakayak Disciple (351) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts

I have a collection of most all of the common beer glass styles, and over the years have tried IPA's from each of them. Despite all the recommendations and mystic formulas for which glass goes with which beer style - I still prefer the standard pint glass.

Scottync, Lahey, BeerseAnyone and 2 others like this.
  5. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,394) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I’ve always liked the Teku. I accentuates the aroma and you can vigorously swirl the beer around without worry about spilling it. I also like the ability to hold it like a wine glass. It creates a nice head.

I did recently get a Spieglau IPA, and I quite like it so far.

DEdesings57, ShanePB and winehead247 like this.
  6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,002) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

What, no Spiegelau Adina Prestige beer tulip? No Riedel stemless wine glass? No 'snulip'?

I'm partial to delicate glassware as opposed to the chunky stuff. Spiegelau and Riedel are particular favorites of mine. I believe that well-made glassware promotes good head retention and aroma. The Spiegelau IPA glass is a fine choice. IMHO. YMMV. #neverplastic

Mothergoose03 and FBarber like this.
  7. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Champion (856) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I love my glassware, but tend to agree with this for the most part.

With the exception of Hefeweizens or something like Duvel, in which case a huge head is created and the proper glassware is more convenient.

A regular pint glass just generates 3/4 of a glass full of foam.

Regarding the OP...I haven't even heard of half of those glasses, so voting would be difficult for me, since I obviously haven't used them yet. I put most of my hoppy beers in my Spiegelau IPA glass, just because I own one, not because I think it does anything magical.

If that's not clean, I'll use my Teku. But oftentimes I feel saucy, and I'll mix it up and use my Bissell pint glass (I love that thing).

rgordon, loebrygg and seakayak like this.
  8. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,321) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Spieglau IPA 60% Teku 40%

Spieglau is great for aromatics, and the beer looks real nice in that glass. Teku is just my favorite drinking vessel.

winehead247 likes this.
  9. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,635) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Some of those glasses im not at all framilir with, but I use all manner of glasses. I'd say I'd use a tulip glass of one style or another more times than not.

10. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,028) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

I just think the Spiegelau looks absolutely ridiculous, can't bring myself to use one. I'll stick to my Teku, which combines form and function perfectly, in my opinion.

11. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,394) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

This is the reason why I never bought one. I was given one as a gift. I like using it, but I still thinks it looks a bit odd.

With that said, I really like how the narrow portion at the bottom highlights a different color of the beer than the wider portion up top, showing you the full range of shades the beer has to offer.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  12. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,034) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

IMCO (in my curmudgeonly opinion), the Teku is overpriced style and the Spiegelau IPA is overpriced gimmick.

The Teku does look gorgeous, but is functionally just a tulip, which you can get much cheaper. Nothing wrong with paying for style so long as you know that is what you are doing.

The Spiegelau looks silly and is just a way to separate craft drinkers from their money.

As I said, JMCO.

I use a tulip for initial tastings, and a nonic imperial pint most of the time otherwise for IPAs and pale ales. (A dimpled mug for O-fest beers, of course.)

larryi86, Tamarack, rgordon and 5 others like this.
  13. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Champion (859) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Snifter or standard pint glass. These days, most anything but a nice imperial stout gets a standard pint glass.

seakayak likes this.
  14. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,572) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Premium Trader

I chose tulip, but I use a stemless wine glass from Bissel Bros all the time too.

Most of the tap rooms I go to serve in tulips and I have a bunch of brewery branded of my own.

I had to use google images to figure out what 6 of the options were. I have a few of most or similar to most, but most likely will choose my Bissel glass or a tulip when I reach into the cabinet.

I have a few Teku or similar but rarely take them out. If I did it would be for a wild ale. I think I associate them with wild ales because the glass that Hill Farmstead hands out at FOFA is of that style.

DEdesings57 and seakayak like this.
  15. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (280) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

Wait. What? Where's Willi? Becher, that is. That, and the weird looking Willi from Dogfish get most of my beer. I do use a teku for sticking my nose in some brews.

Tamarack, nc41, TongoRad and 4 others like this.
  16. Snowcrash000

Trader

Talking about ridiculous looking glasses though, the Sauvin glass is even worse than the Spiegelau, but thankfully you also see a lot less of it. I mean, that thing looks like a ballsack on a pedestal, how do they come up with this stuff?

I'd agree with the Teku basically being a better looking Tulip and I'm fine with that, although it does lend itself to swirling slightly better as well. I do like Snifters as well, but have never been able to find a really nice one where I live. Also, I would probably use that for Stouts exclusively, rather than IPAs.

bret717, nc41 and TongoRad like this.
  17. MNAle

I think that glass was designed by the appropriately-named Pretentious Beer Glass Company.

TongoRad, DEdesings57 and FBarber like this.
  18. Snowcrash000

Trader

I'm convinced they designed that glass specifically to troll craft beer snobs.

19. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I voted tulip because thats the closest to what I think is the perfect beer glass for IPAs - the Duvel tulip. Does a great job improving the aromatics and can hold a 16 oz can.

larryi86, mart1058, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  20. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,302) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Premium Trader

Easy choice for me, tulip all the way. Got a bunch of 'em.

rudiecantfail likes this.
  21. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,144) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium

I didn't vote. I have some opinions but in the last analysis, I tend to grap whatever is clean. I like the Luigi Bormioli Birrateque Craft Beer Glasses IPA – they have some heft and feel good in your hand and have some nice nucleation points lasered into the bottom of the glass. The Ultimate Pint’s ton of nucleation points gives an IPA a nice texture and improves the drinking experience. It also feels good in your hand. The Spiegelau glass makes a nice ring when you pull it off the shelf and I suppose has kind of a Pavlovian effect. The Libbey Craft Brew Sampler Clear Beer Glass Set, 6-Piece is the cheapest option and gives you a glass for just about any beer. Their craft pub glass works fine for IPA’s.

DEdesings57 and seakayak like this.
  22. stonermouse

stonermouse Devotee (462) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

My answer to this question never changes. Throw any weird shaped beer glass you want at me, the two that are perfect are the Sam Adams Perfect Pint and a simple can-shaped glass. IPAs drink wonderfully out of both. Also, Spiegelau IPA glasses are made of the thinnest, cheapest material in the history of glass- they feel like solo cups. No thanks.

23. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (387) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I know what almost none of those glasses are and I don't intend on researching it. I have a 16 oz snifter lookin thing, a pint glass and a stein I use on occasion. I spend enough on beer, I don't need to buy a bunch of special glasses too. (I'm sure my wife will buy some anyway, we have every cocktail, wine and shot glass ever made...)

24. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (161) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

I generally use a tulip because it seems more rugged than the Spiegelau and Teku. Of the three the tulip is probably the third best from the perspective of best taste experience. The Teku is a great glass but its too easy to knock over for me. I haven't used my Spiegelau in a long time so I might test it out tonight and then vote tomorrow.

bret717 and DEdesings57 like this.
  25. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (2,901) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Premium

The Sauvin glass looks nice, I think, but must be a bitch to wash...

DEdesings57 likes this.
  26. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Devotee (451) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

You know your glassware.

27. riegler

riegler Initiate (77) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

Not sure this will change your mind at all, but the Spiegelau glass is thin on purpose. It is meant to keep the beer from warming to rapidly. I agree with you though, that it is tough to beat the SA Perfect Pint and I always seem to find myself reaching for my can shaped glass from Grand Canyon Brewing Company. Love that glass.

mnrider, meefmoff and JackHorzempa like this.
  28. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,714) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

That is indeed the case as detailed on the Spiegelau website:

“BENEFITS OF THE RIGHT SHAPE AND PREMIUM MATERIAL

LASER CUT RIM:

Crisp, clean delivery in every sip

MOUTH OPENING:

Wide mouth allows drinker to „nose“ the beer comfortably for hightened aroma and delivers beer evenly across palate to enhance mouthfeel and harmony of sweetness and acidity

BOWL:

Slender, bowed shape amplifies hops aroma

THIN WALLS:

Maintains proper beer temperature longer

REFRESHER:

Wave-like ridges aerate beer into and out of the glass to balance flavors as you drink”

Cheers!

https://www.spiegelau-craftbeerglasses.com/nc/the-glasses/

Cheers!

29. MNAle

How does that work?

Thinner glass means less heat absorbed by the beer from the glass, true, but thinner glass also means the glass is more conductive, so once the glass/beer temperature stabilizes, the beer will heat up more rapidly.

That claim sounds more like marketing than physics.

30. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,893) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I pretty drink exclusively from tulips. I've found myself reaching for Tekus with more frequency since I'm no longer with the roommates that managed to break 3-4 of my beer glasses (including my precious Narrow Gauge stemmed glass). Otherwise, I prefer the tulip for most anything, including hoppy beers.

31. JackHorzempa

Premium

Science!

Tested: Thinner Glass, Colder Beer?

The more quartz there is in a glass, the thinner it can be. Spiegelau uses almost-pure quartz to make extremely thin walls, which it claims will keep beer colder longer. In our taste test, beer poured into a Spiegelau glass was 2.5°F colder after five minutes than beer poured into a pint glass.”

And:

"A thick-walled pint glass has the potential to hold onto and, therefore, transfer more heat into a beverage than a glass with thinner walls. Warm beer traps less carbon dioxide than cold beer does, so tepid brews can lose their fizz faster."

https://www.popsci.com/article/technology/glasses-make-beer-taste-better

Cheers!

32. MNAle

That was hardly a controlled test (or, if it was, they did not disclose the controls... or the actual data, for that matter.).

For example, in their 2.5 degrees colder after 5 minutes result, did they control the temperature of the glasses? Did they allow for the temperature to stabilize from the initial pour? IOW, what does this "2.5 degrees colder after 5 minutes" really tell us?

"Has the potential" ... really? How scientific!

A proper test would have controlled the temperature of the beer and the glasses, would have measured the temperature rise in the beer in both glasses over time (as opposed to a single point measurement that actually tells us nothing).

As they make the glass thinner, its thermal insulating capabilities are reduced (all else kept constant). So, does adding quartz to whatever extent Spiegelau did make the glass twice the thermal insulator it was before to at least break even with twice as thick "normal" glass? And, what about that "Michelin Man" base which increases the surface area of the glass that the beer contacts? That would work counter to any insulating properties, wouldn't it?

Without actual data, it is still just words.

33. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (542) Mar 28, 2009 California

Give me anything without a stem. I drink a lot IPAs doing things like tossing cornhole, washers, bbqin’, brewing etc. if I am not sitting down I don’t want a stem, just fells like it can fall and break too easy.

34. JackHorzempa

Premium

Feel free to conduct a "controlled test" and present your findings.

In the interim the folks of Popular Science did present data from their testing so I will go with that.

Cheers!

bret717, dcotom and DEdesings57 like this.
  35. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (540) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

I never bothered to give any critical thought to the "thinner glass" claim so this is interesting. I haven't read this carefully enough yet to have much of an opinion on it, but this post does at least have some data and experiments (albeit in a different context than is being discussed here).

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2011/04/effects-of-glass-thickness-on-drink.html

ETA: I'm not sure why you're picking on "has the potential" as being somehow unscientific. Its use seems perfectly reasonable in that sentence since the meaningfulness of how much heat the glass could hold and transfer would be entirely dependent on the ambient temperature of the space where the glass is being stored.

#35 meefmoff, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    DEdesings57 and JackHorzempa like this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Premium

Some folks might enjoy watching this video review of beer glasses:

boddhitree and DEdesings57 like this.
  37. MNAle

Well, one point of data. I was just pointing it that was hardly "science."

38. JackHorzempa

Premium

And @meefmoff kindly presented additional data in his link above:

“In summary, the choice of glassware does matter greatly. The obvious take home message is that thinner glasses are better when the only option is unchilled glassware…”

Cheers!

39. MNAle

Because stating potential is not a scientific result, but perhaps a hypothesis.

40. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (454) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

I use an unbranded version of this, which is basically just a pint glass that is a little straighter at the bottom and tapered in at the top. For hoppy beers I much prefer it to the Teku. I got it as part of some random beer glass set as a gift one Christmas, and it's great for non-BBA stouts and porters, too.

[​IMG]