Best Indian Food Pairing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Oktoberfist, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oktoberfist

Oktoberfist Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Being that Indian food is made with a ton of spices, what would be a good beer style to have with it?

2. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,778) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I don't eat a lot of Indian food, but with anything spicy it's hard to go wrong with something hoppy.

3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,075) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

I hate to sound like I'm stereotyping, but anytime I'm eating Indian food I always crave an IPA. But, I always get the spicy dishes, so I want something that can cool my mouth a bit.

Particular brews that come to mind:
    Go West! IPA
    Sucks!
    Luponic Distortion
    Titan IPA
    1000 IBU

Rarely fix Indian food on my own, and I've never been to an Indian restaurant with a good tap list, but the above feel like they would do well.

4. thepenguin

thepenguin Devotee (460) Aug 8, 2010 Massachusetts

Hoppy and drinkable. IPA, APA, or pilsner are my go-tos. It's got to hold up to the aggressive flavors of Indian dishes and also cut through to provide some cooling/cleansing.

5. BenwayPHD

BenwayPHD Aspirant (289) Sep 4, 2014 California

I do agree with all the above ipa suggestions; however, if you are getting a dish that is heavy on garam masala and cinnamon, it can be quite pleasant to pair it with a, not too bitter, lower abv stout (left hand milk, stone coffee milk).

6. ManUtdSooner

ManUtdSooner Initiate (192) Jul 16, 2014 Alabama

It's hard to not like a cold tall Kingfisher with some spicy curry goat.

drtth likes this.
  7. Nickwierda

Nickwierda Initiate (139) Feb 8, 2015 New Jersey

I absolutely hate the pairing of spicy and hoppy. It just accentuates the bitterness of the hops and the spice heat of the dish, drowning out all other flavor. With something like Indian food- really flavorful, really spicy- I say let the meal be the star and find a simple lager or something to wash it down with. Kingfisher is fine. Or if you want something with more flavor go with like a Maibock or saison. Not a sour saison though, something with a lot of yeast expression like FW Opal or tank 7 or Hennepin. Don't waste a good IPA on Indian food- you won't be able to taste it.

8. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,778) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

A maibock could really work, saisons pair with just about everything so it's hard to not agree there. Also if you can find it Hennepin with 2-3 years on it is incredible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.