Best IPA brewed on Long Island?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by sirsteve42, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sirsteve42

sirsteve42 Defender (655) Jan 15, 2009 New York
    Trader

Just figured I'd ask my fellow ba's what brewery kicks out the best ipa on long island. Personally I don't feel there is any mindblowing ipa made on li but would love to be proved wrong.
    Cheers Steve

Greywulfken likes this.
  2. sfr26

sfr26 Disciple (341) Jan 15, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Barrier Money is a clear winner for me

Mr_Moe, malfunxion, Pete_IV and 7 others like this.
  3. Msudukie

Msudukie Aspirant (256) Oct 26, 2013 New York
    Trader

I think "mindblowing" is a tough bar to reach. Have heard good things about Money, Hoptical Illusion isn't bad for being local.

fugazidps likes this.
  4. alexsergio

alexsergio Poo-Bah (1,566) Mar 7, 2011 New York
    Society Trader

I enjoyed gsb field 5, but I'd still rather buy about 50 other IPAs available to us.

cosmicevan and twizzard like this.
  5. sirsteve42

Trader

What would you consider mindblowing? As a guy who has had double sunshine over 10 times on tap my bar is set high. Ds and pseudosue (I know its classified as a pale but its really an ipa) are mindblowing to me. Just trying to get a feel on how long islanders and surrounding folk feel about long island breweries and the beer they make

6. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Devotee (459) Jan 13, 2012 New York

Sorry sir, I believe you're looking for the New England forum. :slight_frown:

7. bosshop

bosshop Initiate (142) Sep 13, 2012 New York

though I don't have many other LI beers to benchmark it against, I really, really enjoyed Greenport's Otherside and Devil's Plaything during a visit over the summer. Legit liquid.

Johnnyhitch and 2Xmd like this.
  8. cornontherob

cornontherob Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2011 New York

Not that I've tried all of the beers mentioned above, but definitely haven't had any "mind blowing" ipa's on LI.

I agree that I would love to be suprised.

Ra

twizzard, dar482 and jrnyc like this.
  9. Msudukie

Trader

Sorry, did not want to come across as confrontational. I was trying to say that there are really none that I would consider to be that great but still some ones out there that are not bad. To alexgersio's point, I rarely buy LI IPAs given they are not that great. I do think I am going to try Barrier given it is 20 minutes from my house. It would be nice to have something I could have as a local beer. Closest at the moment seems to be Flower Power.

10. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,966) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

This is like asking for the best snow cone made in the Sahara Desert.

11. koko2315

koko2315 Initiate (135) Jul 28, 2010 New York

Blue Point Mosaic was really good

12. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,155) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

True, true! Very unfortunate!

Thankfully I can point my car north and go get a great IPA on the Hudson!

cavedave likes this.
  13. sirsteve42

Trader

[qupoi="cavedave, post: 1897895, member: 307613"]This is like asking for the best snow cone made in the Sahara Desert.[/quote]
    My point exactly. Hopefully that changes

fugazidps and jrnyc like this.
  14. Bieniek30

Bieniek30 Devotee (442) Mar 24, 2013 New York
    Trader

I really like Barrier Money.

JxExM and nychas like this.
  15. LIBeer

LIBeer Initiate (93) Sep 17, 2009 New York

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Almost of all the IPAs on Long Island are mediocre. A couple are decent(Hoptical Illusion and Money).

LuskusDelph and fugazidps like this.
  16. Msudukie

Trader

Maybe us Long Islanders should gather to share/drink some non LI IPAs. Just a thought.

Mr_Moe, VonZipper and Johnnyhitch like this.
  17. marshmeli

marshmeli Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 New York

Barrier Money then Barrier Bumble. Money is one of my top IPAs in the US never mind LI.

malfunxion and JxExM like this.
  18. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,290) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

Money and Hoptical. Decent choices from a pool of averages IPA's.

19. zid

zid Meyvn (1,192) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I know I shouldn't bite cavedave, but you make it so irresistible.
    Are the odds of a great beer coming from LI really all that different than from Westchester or Orange County?
    If you think so, then surely this isn't from anything particularly indigenous.
    How much great beer came from the banks of the Hudson 5 years ago?

20. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Disciple (361) Dec 31, 2012 New York
    Trader

I might put bumble ahead of money, but their both great

marshmeli likes this.
  21. jrnyc

Trader

I am a Long Islander and wish I could drive 20 or 30 minutes and get a top notch IPA, but unfortunately I can't. Peekskill Higher Standard in Westchester is awesome. Factoring in it is local and I can get it fresh from the brewery, it is right at the top of the list of desirable IPAs for me.

Any chance I get I will do the 100 miles round trip to get my hands on it. We have nothing on Long Island that can touch it.

fugazidps likes this.
  22. zid

Trader

My post was actually referencing Peekskill as an example that it is not outside the realm of possibility that a desirable IPA could come from LI.

jrnyc likes this.
  23. bayridge27

bayridge27 Initiate (103) Dec 3, 2009 New York

The better question is the best one in the Tri Local Area - from Kane in NJ, As far West and north as Rushing Duck, and then South and East out to Greenport.

OK, GO.

24. bayridge27

bayridge27 Initiate (103) Dec 3, 2009 New York

Id go with Head High and Eastern Stand. Money is close.

HopBomb515 likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,966) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

It's possible in five years from now there might be snowcones from the Sahara as well, I just wouldn't bet on it. Though I am sure that they both, snowcones and great IPA's, would be greatly appreciated by those living in their respective "deserts".

26. jrnyc

Trader

The big question is why has Long Island not been able to produce a top of the line IPA. Damn, California cranks them out like they are going out of style. I would be happy with just one great one, don't think that is asking too much.

27. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

Johnnyhitch and sirsteve42 like this.
  28. zid

Trader

I guess I'm more optimistic, but I'm not the best person to comment because: A) I don't have any money on the IPA horse race, and B) I feel spoiled by the scene here in NYC. I'm a slave to bitters, and in this regard LI breweries put out my current favorites in NY State. IPA lovers have it so good, I think the lovers of Mild have a much harder time.

Your big question is legitimate, but mine would be:

- Why is it that Long Islanders seem to complain so much about what they have/haven't got? Plenty of great ones on the shelf and a brewery 1.5 hours away from Nassau County that people think put out world-class IPAs. I think others would be jealous. OP asked a perfectly reasonable question ("which is best" as opposed to "what's the most like Heady") and then drops the "mindblowing" comment practically inviting the inevitable negative responses.

- Why would someone thump their chest about the Hudson Valley as a beer mecca and then claim that an area about an hour away is a desert? (but seriously cavedave, I'm looking forward to the day I can buy you a beer)

Sorry to sound like a broken record on the issue.

29. sirsteve42

Trader

55 gallons about to be made! Stay tuned jay

Johnnyhitch and jaIsPoAn like this.
  30. Msudukie

Trader

Sorry to be dense, but I wasn't following to which beer this is referring.

Zid - do you mean Peekskill or Kane? I have not tried either but have heard good things.

31. sirsteve42

Trader

This post is about a citra bomb about to be made on long island...stay tuned dave. There may be an oasis in this deseet;-)

Johnnyhitch and cavedave like this.
  32. Msudukie

Trader

Great. Would be great to know more when the time comes!

33. zid

Trader

jrnyc, sorry if my post felt like a jab at you in any way - I didn't mean anything to read like that.
    I've been referring to Peekskill. My experience with Kane is zero. IPAs are not my favorite style, but Barrier is my favorite brewery in NY these days.

jrnyc and Msudukie like this.
  34. Msudukie

Trader

Thanks. I will be getting myself to Barrier ASAP. Am new to the scene and can't believe it is only 20 minutes from me!

dar482 and zid like this.
  35. jrnyc

Trader

No worries, didn't take it as a jab at all. Thanks.

36. zid

Trader

Barrier's great strength might just be their portfolio. They are a non-flagship brewery. People would tell me that everything they do is good, and I was a bit skeptical. I felt like they were all over the place at first. I've come around for sure. The more I've had, the more I find to like. Honestly, I didn't care for Money, but it sure has its fans (and I've only had it once). I love some of their stuff. I'm very impressed with their takes on both Belgian and English styles.

Your earlier post makes me assume that you like Flower Power. If so, definitely try some Peekskill when you get a chance. It's not too hard to find their more common brews in Brooklyn, but growlers can only be obtained at the brewery.

Cheers.

Msudukie likes this.
  37. marshmeli

marshmeli Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 New York

Its a close call... I think Bumble should be back at the brewery very soon... also the new batch of Submersion is great.

38. abkayak

abkayak Disciple (346) Jan 8, 2013 New York

Money is a great beer..on cask was it was better..it just needs some aluminum wrapped around it..Hop Illusion, GSB Massive any time anywhere..if you folks cant enjoy these beers i think your expectations may be too high..knock these brewers if you like..im proud of them and their direction..if you think everything in life is suppose to be mind-blowing your gonna be disappointed more often than not..be grateful for the little things in life..like solid ipa’s

Msudukie and zid like this.
  39. jon2465

jon2465 Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 New York

kelso industrial

cosmicevan likes this.
  40. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,873) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society Trader

I'm only 30 minutes from Barrier. Guess I need to go after y'all have hyped it up well.

Mr_Moe and VonZipper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.