Best Juicy IPAs you had this summer....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mugman8, Sep 13, 2020.

1. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,046) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

I saw a bunch of Ology beers down there, but they need to start dating their stuff. That's why I didn't get any. Who knows how fresh/old they are.

2. traction

traction Defender (626) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

I didn't realize they didn't date their cans. The releases we have been getting here recently are all new releases with only a handful on untappd reviews before they hit the shelves. I'm not really surprised we get stuff so fresh because its only a 10 hour round trip from my local craft distributor to Ology. My local distributor (Modern Hops) has had a relationship with Ology for a while now but they used to only get kegs or bottled sours mostly. We just started getting their hops recently so it looks like we are starting to get more of the line up finally. They definitely need to date their cans though.

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  3. WCKDVBZ

Tripping Animals is another FL brewery with that problem. IMO dating should be mandatory. Not fair to a lot of people that don't know. And it's essentially bad for those breweries as well, because of the people that do know about checking dates.

barneyrubble and traction like this.
  4. traction

traction Defender (626) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Omg how could I have forgotten Life and Fate IV from Root + Branch. One of the best of the year imo. Thanks to homeboy who threw a couple my way for my birthday this year!

Everything I have had from R + B is good, I especially liked the sour they did with Hudson Valley, if they had more capacity that would be most of the most popular breweries in the country imo.

tinoynk likes this.
  5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (575) Mar 19, 2012 California

Hmm. Since February of this year, I have literally only have one. I don't buy NE IPAs, but tend to get them at the source. I had one in Hawaii (Inu Hazy IPA: Nelson 7 Mosaic) when I picked up a crowler and four pack of Black is Beautiful cans.

So, I guess by default, it was the best one!

6. RDWHAHB_Tom

RDWHAHB_Tom Initiate (89) Aug 24, 2020 Maryland
    Trader

7. barneyrubble

barneyrubble Initiate (110) Aug 21, 2020 Colorado

Since it is hard to get the New England examples, I have to enjoy our local examples which are pretty satisfying. These were my faves in order this summer.

Pear of Peaches- Avery Brewing
    Juicy Bits - WeldWerks Brewing
    Hazyish IPA- Avery Brewing
    Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze- New Belgium
    Lush Puppy- Bootstrap Brewing

WCKDVBZ likes this.
  8. Zanico

Zanico Devotee (426) Nov 24, 2009 Ohio

Toppling Goliath Sosus and Pompeii and Psuedo Sue.
    Can you tell they just came available in my area recently. :grin:

JayORear likes this.
  9. WCKDVBZ

My apologies!

Come to find out, they do date their beer. They put a little white paper sticker on the tops of white PakTech (plastic 4pk carrier). Better than nothing, but it needs to be much more visible. I didn't notice it. Looked at the bottom and on the label, didn't see any date.

10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,546) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Had a new beer that I think I put on NBW last week. It’s from Heist Existence From A Distance a Hazy IPA. Its juicy with a firm bitterness that doesn’t wear on my palate. I’d firmly say this is the best IPA I’ve had in the last year.

11. RUinOhio

RUinOhio Initiate (115) Nov 12, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

CLAG (Sandusky, Ohio), Mama Bui. 9.8% triple. It's up there with the best Ohio NE IPA's including Dragonsaddle.[​IMG]

eppCOS likes this.
  12. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (298) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

I stopped at Tree House on the way to Maine and picked up two mixed cases. First Tree House beers I've ever had, and they live up to the hype.

Then on the way home, we stopped and visited some old friends (outdoors, distanced, natch,) and my friend who lives near Tree House gifted me another case.

I can't yet say which are my favorites, they're all awesome.

The Bissell Brothers and Trillium I picked up aren't too shabby either.

As Belinda said, heaven is a place on earth.

13. dano213

dano213 Aspirant (223) May 24, 2003 Pennsylvania

Collective Arts Life in the Clouds
    Tonewood Brewing Fuego (review pending)
    SingleCut Softly Spoken Magic Spells (just reviewed yesterday)
    2SP Slowdive

14. timobkg

timobkg Aspirant (240) Aug 24, 2006 New Jersey

Big Oyster Brewery's Dripping Hazy IPA - picked it up on a whim, just to try something local while in Delaware, and it was a very pleasant surprise. Definitely one of the best juicy IPAs I've had.

15. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (724) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Just had this yesterday for the 1st time and it blew me away. Must be something about the water in Portland.
    [​IMG]

16. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (1,505) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

+1:
    Outer Range Blocks of Light IPA
    , 6.2% - and for the ABV, it might be my 'beer of 2020'
    Great balance of haze, juice, dank, and bitter. In a package that doesn't smother you or kick your ass after only one can.

[​IMG]

chipawayboy likes this.
  17. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,207) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Yeah, I'm not sure what that beer doesn't get more love/attention. Bought all I could this summer.

DoctorZombies and KingforaDay like this.
  18. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,207) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

Not sure why SoS gets mentioned here . . . I'd call it bitter and pithy, but hardly "juicy."

My vote goes for the last batch of TG Sosus, which was unbelievably mango-ey.

chipawayboy likes this.
  19. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (182) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

Really enjoyed Kane Head High and Overhead, plus CM Coastal Evacuation. As usual, I also enjoyed SOS. Overall, I stick with lower ABV beers in the warmer months, but drinking IPAs, these were my go tos at the shore.

20. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,606) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

We’re getting Oh-J now in SWFL; it flys off the shelf and I grab a couple of cans when I see it...good stuff!

21. BuzzG

BuzzG Initiate (97) Dec 6, 2013 Iowa

Also in Iowa

Lion Bridge Me Time
    Barn Town Nelson Sauvin Neon

dcotom likes this.
  22. gegan

gegan Initiate (41) Mar 29, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

If Abner counts as a Juicy IPA, then Abner. But that might be my favorite beer, period. Another great one I tried this summer was Bissell Bros Worth a Visit, Worth a Lifetime

chipawayboy likes this.
  23. maxpower

maxpower Poo-Bah (1,719) Jan 26, 2002 Missouri
    Society

Toppling Goliath King Sue was a surprise for me.

seakayak likes this.
  24. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Disciple (328) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

Again in Iowa.

Barntown Groovy Ruby (had it yesterday)

Big Grove Easy Eddy

25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,546) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Since today is the first day of fall summers over, and I have perhaps a slew of game changing beers from those well talked about NE breweries, I’ll have to stick with Heist. Those two Charlotte Breweries In Heist and Resident Culture are not to be overlooked, both make tremendous beers. If anyone ever in Charlotte two must stops are Resident Culture where you can drink that DIPA right from the brite tanks, and Old Mecklenburg, all world class German beers served on their over 4 acre brewery in Charlotte. Yep 4 acres in Charlotte, it’s massive, inside and out, music, food done on site.

26. Bruno74200

Bruno74200 Poo-Bah (2,981) Aug 23, 2015 France
    Society

From june 21st to this date, it seems that the four best juicy IPA (and imperial variants) I've had for the first time were :

1/ Equilibrium (US) - Fluctuation - 4.59

2 ex-aequo / Verdant (UK) - Further - 4.5
    2 ex-aequo / Alpine (US) - Nelson - 4.5
    2 ex-aequo / Maltgarden (PL) - Forgottent Password - 4.5

If I count juicy pale ale with that the "Quiet Charge" from Verdant (UK) explodes everything (4.71)!