Best local Hoppy beer on the shelves in Mass at the moment

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by mrz200, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrz200

mrz200 Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

trying to get out a trade. I've already got some TH, Bissel & Lawsons in the box, so everything at this point, in the words of the trade-ee, is gravy.

Really wanted to get to Night Shift today for some 87 & Fresh Santilli but it didn't happen and I gotta get this box out tomorrow.
    was hoping to find some Captain's Daughter, but my usual spots didn't have it.

Here's my choices:
    Sea Hag (bought in CT last week),
    Baxter Bootleg (not a big fan, but the guy is a hophead and it's hoppy),
    Cape Ann DeadEye (I loved this last year, have yet to try this year's, but local shops now have it),
    JA Kiwi Rising - had my first one Monday, delicious!

I'm in North Andover Mass so Redstone, Andover Wine & Butcher Boy are my go-to's.

2. jlordi12

jlordi12 Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts

one vote for Kiwi as an extra

3. huuvola

huuvola Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

#3 huuvola, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. Dopen993

Dopen993 Jul 20, 2015 Rhode Island

I would say sea hag, had my first last week and loved it. Also gets you a bit more NE variety and not too mass heavy. Tribute would be awesome too.

5. GoOSU

GoOSU Oct 6, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Night Shift Santilli

6. AirBob

AirBob Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Brewmaster Jack's DIPA and IPLs. Despite the quality and price, they seem to sit around. Otherwise, I'd go with Kiwi.

Janeinma likes this.
  7. jbertsch

jbertsch Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Are fresh Singlecut bottles still around? If so I'd say that's a top contender (unless your trade partner already sees their stuff).

If you can find fresh NB Greenhead IPA, that's an option. Under appreciated beer IMO.

Kiwi is a good choice. As is any of the other JA hoppy offerings really.

Horbar likes this.
  8. MarkF150

MarkF150 Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

Redstone in Andover has Captains Daughter, saw it there today. They also have cases of Singlecut Mo Shuggie right now. This batch is phenomenal. Id say grab a couple of those and a some Captains Daughter, ship one of each and drink the others!

#8 MarkF150, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Ganglani and LakesideBrewing like this.
  9. Jcorn

Jcorn Jun 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Ipswich Hop Harvest
    Stoneface IPA
    Worm town Be Hoppy

10. vtcraft

vtcraft Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Trader

I second The Greenhead recommendation. I always grab some to bring back to Vt. I've surprised a few Vt hop snobs with it. not to mention their is nothing like grilling some butcher boy Tips and sipping on a Greenhead on a nice summer afternoon

11. Johnct

Johnct Jun 4, 2014 New York

Try BLDG8 around the Noho area. Real good stuff.

Flashy likes this.
  12. thatbentleyguy

thatbentleyguy Jun 11, 2012 Massachusetts

BLDG 8 and Brewmaster Jack from Western Mass.

Out east, Night Shift, Newburyport, Slumbrew.

13. RichD

RichD Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Kiwi Rising for sure.

14. Patches826

Patches826 Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society

Personally I find it kind of funny how people clamor over MBC and Foley Bros, but Singlecut and Brewmaster Jack tend to sit around... at least in these parts.

15. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Just had a kiwi rising tonight, in past years I put it behind Mass Rising. This year's seems to have something special going on.

jlordi12 likes this.
  16. MVP09

MVP09 Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Finest Kind.

ChrisMyhre likes this.
  17. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Ipswich Route 101, if it's fresh.

18. TheSmokingChimp

TheSmokingChimp Oct 7, 2015 Massachusetts

Santili and Whirlpool are great.

Finest kind is a classic.

robNSB likes this.
  19. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Out of the listed choices sea hag or kiwi.

20. icfpny

icfpny Apr 3, 2015 New York

Definitely Whirlpool. It's the most unique tasting beer of all those mentioned.

robNSB and AlcahueteJ like this.
  21. mattinmass

mattinmass Jul 21, 2015 Massachusetts

i will add a vote for Kiwi Rising

22. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Whirlpool is the best. Not only is it generally as good as the more hyped New England stuff, it's also like icfpny said got its own niche thing going on. I like Santilli, but Whirlpool is the beer that really elevates Night Shift imo.

TheSmokingChimp, robNSB and meefmoff like this.
  23. mrz200

mrz200 Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Thanks for the replies folks!
    Went JA Kiwi. $6.99 @ Butcher Boy in N Andover, FYI

Definitely agree with the Greenhead and Brewmaster Jack rec's in here too!

Cheers

24. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Be Hoppy would be my choice and when I have added it in trades (I like the ease of packing cans) it has been well received. Kiwi Rising is a great choice since it is currently out and fresh. It fades rapidly in my experience, so advise them accordingly. Santili and Whirlpool would be great, if you can find them.

25. jlordi12

I guess I need to revisit Greenhead. I thought the beer was terrible the first time I tried it and haven't had it again since

BAMF likes this.
  26. MarkF150

MarkF150 Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Greenhead is terrible. I have had it on many occasions on tap and from the can. It's just a bad beer IMO. I even went to the brewery to make sure in was getting a fresh pour, and it was still disappointing as ever.

jlordi12 likes this.
  27. emannths

emannths Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Just before Thanksgiving I bought a 6pk dated 11/2 or 11/20 (depending on which label had the typo). I don't know if I'd call it terrible, but it didn't certainly didn't distinguish itself from common IPAs like Torpedo or Finestkind.

28. BAMF

BAMF Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts

Yeah I've got to third this ... NBPT belgian white was one of my fav beers this summer but that IPA is not a good beer. I also would like to disagree with the post saying Singlecut tends to sit. It might not sell out in a day but based on my own observations I would say it sells pretty well.

My vote here is probably for Be Hoppy if you can find it, but I just picked up some Kiwi Rising on the advice of you all, and am looking forward to trying it tonight.

jlordi12 likes this.
  29. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

I'd go Kiwi since it's seasonal (i.e. only fresh once a year).

mschofield likes this.
  30. jlordi12

Their belgian white is on point and flies under the radar. I guess the style in general does , too

31. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

been seeing stoneface in boston too, and they're 1 for 1 for me so far

32. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Yep, came here to post the same thing.

There's no other beer on the shelf in MA with that hop profile at 4.5% abv or lower.

robNSB likes this.
  33. bittym87

bittym87 Mar 1, 2011 Massachusetts

I'll say Whirlpool as well. Be Hoppy has to be in the conversation though.

34. Ennis

Ennis Mar 13, 2014 Massachusetts

NBPT Greenhead is a good "bang for your buck beer". Not great, but good local beer.

35. olpi_duun

olpi_duun Apr 22, 2015 Connecticut

hag all day.

36. jlordi12

Does Western MA get this? I thought they pulled out of MA completely?

37. Dopen993

Dopen993 Jul 20, 2015 Rhode Island

No, OP posted he picked some up in CT. Hopefully soon though with their new brewery, RI too!!!

Newport_beerguy and jlordi12 like this.
  38. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Would love to see it in RI: would probably jump ahead of Pour Judgement in the ranks of regional 6-pack IPAs available here.

39. TheSmokingChimp

TheSmokingChimp Oct 7, 2015 Massachusetts

The reason it seems like Singlecut sits around is because of its distributor. They use Craft Collective which works exclusively with small breweries. They typically deliver huge numbers of cases of a single beer to stores. So stores often get 10 plus cases of single cut beers which takes a while for stores to sell since a lot of people aren't familiar with the brand. Fair Maiden, Captain's Daughter, and Be Hoppy all use traditional distribution companies so most stores only get a case at a time and there are enough people who go nuts for those beers so they sell out really quickly.

40. aoliveri37

aoliveri37 May 2, 2010 Massachusetts

It's quite the opposite. We just don't get enough beer from our suppliers to deliver huge amounts of anything to anybody. We have 50+ off-premise accounts, and they all want SingleCut. We typically receive 150-225 cases out of each of SingleCut's twice monthly bottling. The math just doesn't work for giving everybody 10+ cases.

Our average SingleCut delivery is 3 cases. Of all the SingleCut deliveries we've made since they began bottling, less than 10% have been for more than 5 cases.

It has also not been our experience that SingleCut beers are sitting around. About 25% of our accounts usually sell out in a week. The middle 50% sell out within two weeks. The final 25% typically sells out within three weeks. We typically receive and deliver 100% of our allotment of each SingleCut bottled within 7 days of bottling. So you're talking about less than 30 days, in even the worst case scenario. I'm not saying you won't find the odd longer dated bottle out there, but it's not a normal thing at this point to have this stuff sitting around for long.

Horbar, oldbean, Janeinma and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.