Best "Peanut Butter" Stout/Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TWStandley, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Circleo12

Circleo12 Devotee (406) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Trader

The current version of Liquid Bliss, makes me think I'm just chugging a bottle of this:

[​IMG]

2. Circleo12

Trader

And threads like this are why I like BA! Now I've got an even longer list of PB Beers I'll have to track down, to try.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout - Rapp Brewing
    Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter - Willoughby Brewing
    Peanut Butter Porter - Beer Engineers
    Peanut Butter Flavored Milk Stout - Belching Beaver Brewery
    Nutcase Porter - Listermann Brewing
    Uber Goober - Short's Brewing
    PB&J - Short's Brewing
    GD Peanut Butter & Jelly Pigeon Porter - Spiteful Brewing
    Peanut Butter Cup Stout - Odd Side Ales
    Peanut Butter Porter - B.O.B.'s Brewery
    Choosy Mother PB Oatmeal Porter - Isley Brewing Co
    Peanut Butter Porter - Dangerous Man Brewing
    Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout - Ass Clown Brewing
    Peanut Butter Chocolate Milk Stout - 4 Hands Brewing
    Sintax Imperial Peanut Butter Stout - Mother Earth Brewing
    Fat Alberta Imperial Stout - Throwback Brewery

3. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I will admit that the new version is sweeter and that the original did have more of that natural peanut oil flavor to it but they just didn't get enough of that flavor to come out with the original IMO. A great example of a brewery getting that natural peanut oil to come out heavily, and I saw you mentioned them in a previous post, is Funky Buddha with No Crusts. I also had the pleasure of trying the CCB collab, Snack Attack, which was basically the same concept as No Crusts: PB&J beer but with a porter instead of a brown ale. Both were phenomenal and are, to this day, the best peanut butter flavored beers I've had.

KingforaDay likes this.
  4. Circleo12

Trader

Man, Snack Attack has to be the most requested re-brew I think, that I've ever seen. I think FB said it was a pricy beer to make, and that people still ask for that beer to be made, to this day. Sadly, I didn't get to ever try it.

I will say, the original Bliss IMO had a more 'boiled peanut' taste to it, which I actually enjoyed.

You are in NC, you should grab Peanut Butter Jelly Time when Catawba brews it again. That beer, to me, is nothing but bready malts and peanut butter aromas. I loved it, but it sold out so fast, I never got to make a 2nd purchase of it. We bought 2 6 packs of cans, and went through them in record time.

5. CHickman

CHickman Poo-Bah (3,510) Jan 7, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus was really good and tasted like peanut butter; I have not come across any of the others mentioned yet, but I do really like this style of porter. I use a spoon to scoop peanut butter out of the jar all the time, so merging two of my favorite things is all good in my book.

6. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,833) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

The one's I have had ranked in this order:
    1.) Spring House Big Gruesome PBC Stout - By far the better of the 3. Tons of roasted peanut flavor and sweet chocolate.
    2.) Spring House Lil Gruesome PBJ Stout - The "jelly" on the end adds a nice berry sweetness to the already tasty beer.
    3.) DuClaw SBJ - Good, a little too artificial flavored for me at times.
    4.) Terrapin Liquid Bliss - Too thin in the mouth feel and not enough roasted peanut flavor for me.

Looking for others to try as well as peanut butter and chocolate are a great addition to a well done porter or stout.

TheLittleMrs likes this.
  7. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,347) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Once again, in disagreement on the PBJ Time. I bought a single, had it, thought it was all right, but the entire time I was drinking it I was thinking in my head "No Crusts is so much better." I'll admit, I can't stand most of Catawba's beers in the first place. That one and Le Sexxy Saison are the only two I've had that I felt were worth a damn.

8. Circleo12

Trader

No Crusts is definitely better than PBJ Time, I'll agree there. But since No Crusts is about next to impossible for us to get consistently in NC/SC, I have to settle for something that is easier to get. I thought that was going to be PBJ Time, until it disappeared within 2 weeks of launch. That is the only Catawba beer I've had, though. I enjoyed it well enough, that I would have bought a keg of it (and actually tried to), but it wasn't available anymore.

9. jfpaolone

jfpaolone Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2014 Alabama

Beer Engineers PB Porter is amazing to me, but very polarizing - seems like 2/3 of the people who've tried it loved it, and the other third hated it. I have my doubts that it will ever be made again, the brewery head seems to be extremely flaky & unreliable. Short's PB & J was more like a sour ale with a tiny bit of PB&J flavoring, but perhaps I got a bad batch.

Doing a mini-PB beer tasting at my place this Fri. On the docket is 2 of the Liquid Bliss (the 12oz, never got to try the side project version), one Sweet Baby Jesus, Big Gruesome, & Lil Gruesome. I'm most excited for the latter 2.

sajaffe1 and zookerman182 like this.
  10. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,730) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Society Trader

11. jhall830

jhall830 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Ohio

12. ben4321

ben4321 Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2009 New Jersey

I really enjoyed Barrage Yada, Yada, Yada

They have terrible distribution though.

13. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (428) Mar 5, 2014 New York

Never seen a bottled peanut butter beer, only had a homebrew taste at a beer fest which I thought was going to be too weird but was surprisingly quiet good ... going to have to look for some of these mentioned in this thread

14. Ndfan1323

Ndfan1323 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 California

I'm definantly putting my vote in for belching beaver. I accidentally walked upon the brewery not Intending on going there after leaving Tiger Tiger and they literally just tapped a fresh batch. Omg I thought I was drinking/eating reeses in milk straight from a blender! Great tiny spot. You can order Crazee burger and they walk it to you!

15. EricLiPuma

EricLiPuma Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2014 New Jersey

And here i was thinking no one else was appreciative of peanut butter beers!

TheLittleMrs likes this.
  16. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin

This a million percent. I just visited Florida and had it for the 1st time. They absolutely nail the smell and flavor unlike a lot of of peanut butter stouts/porters. A lot get the smell but not the flavor, Rapps' hits it out if the park. Its a brewery only so you'll have to trade for a couple growlers but its well worth it!!!

17. thepeter

thepeter Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2005 England

Sweet Baby Jesus is a great Peanut butter beer! i have brought a few back to London for friends to try. It does a great job with an ingredient that traditionally does not work well in Brewing.

18. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

No doubt. Unfortunately most people outside of SEPA aren't going to be able to get it unless they trade.

TheLittleMrs likes this.
  19. beergrrl

beergrrl Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2003 New Hampshire

is looking for a PB DIPA, but only one that is aged in calvados casks for an apple buttery complement. Is there a list available?

20. bfirkin45

bfirkin45 Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2011 Minnesota

Dangerous Man Brewing did a peanut butter porter a month or two ago. It was phenomenal, just like most of their beers.

2beerdogs likes this.
  21. misternebbie

misternebbie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

Love peanut butter and coffee but not a fan of infused Stouts, I do however love seasonal Xmas beers and Pumpkins , which a lot of people on this site do not, last time I was at the Morgantown Brewery I had a peanut butter ale which I had real trouble dragging down, my buddy however had three pints and thought it was awesome

22. BuckeyeBeerhead

BuckeyeBeerhead Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2014 Ohio

Willoughby told us a week.

23. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,312) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Terrapin Liquid Bliss and DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus. The only 2 I have had and they were awesome, especially the Terrapin brew!!. Happy New Year !!

24. HotfishRuss

HotfishRuss Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2014 New York

Liquid bliss from terrapin but honestly the only one I've tried to date so it probably don't count : /

25. TBonez477

TBonez477 Defender (632) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

I tried Sweet Baby Jesus as the first peanut butter stout I've had and enjoyed it quite a bit. What would you consider the best peanut butter stout available?

26. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

Peanut Butter is a staple of my breakfast :grinning:

I've been on the search of the best and so far Big Gruesome is the one i found. Was disappointed though with 4 Hands version which i had at the EBF. :slight_frown:

If anyone has some that are better, i'm ready to trade!

kerry4porters and Buschyfor3 like this.
  27. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,749) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Willoughby Peanut Butter cup Porter

/thread

28. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

Buschyfor3 and beergod1 like this.
  29. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

PB&J BA Framinghammer by Jack's Abby is awesome. Trade if you can for it.

AirBob likes this.
  30. CraigTravor

CraigTravor Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 California

Boca-X, Buschyfor3 and Arsenal0328 like this.
  31. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Maryland

Unfortunately, I've only had the latter version. I thought it was ok. It certainly wasn't anywhere near as good as Sweet Baby Jesus, which I thought was fantastic!

32. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Maryland

Damnit! I haven't seen that beer! Must. Get. Some!

BlackNotesIII likes this.
  33. pmbasile06

pmbasile06 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2014 Illinois

im with the 4 hands group! wanted to take a growler of that stuff back home to share with my buddys in chicago but they wouldnt do growlers fills on it

34. ddedhed

ddedhed Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2012 Ohio

Peanut butter flavoring in anything besides peanut butter is usually not my cup of tea. However, I enjoy Listermann's Nutcase Peanut Butter Porter.

Keffa likes this.
  35. Mshull

Mshull Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 Ohio

My top 3
    1.belching beaver peanut butter milk stout
    2.willoughby brewing nut smasher
    3.hoppin frog infusion A

SoCaliC8 and thatoneguymike like this.
  36. Circleo12

Trader

Since my earlier posts, I acquired some bottles of 4 Hands PB Choc Milk Stout...the first one I had, was shortly after it came off the FedEx truck...I thought it was..ok, solid but not amazing. The next 2 days I had 2 bottles that had been in the fridge for the whole time...wow...that beer impressed the hell out of me. So much, I was actually going to buy a case online this week. But then, I saw other releases in the next 2 weeks, so I have to ration my beer money out a bit more...

37. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (208) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

38. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

Another vote for terrapin Liquid Bliss...I let my non-crafty wife try it and she said,"now your talking!"

39. Brad007

Brad007 Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont

HOLY CRAP!

How do they get the peanut butter in the beer? It sounds tasty. I've never had a peanut butter stout or porter.

40. microbrewlover

microbrewlover Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

"Sweet Baby Jesus" by DuClaw and "Liquid Bliss" by Terrapin.

TimG_0913 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.