Canada Best Pilsner available in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Jerk_Store, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Aspirant (297) Feb 13, 2015 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Wondering what's the best pilsner available in the country. I know Urquell gets tons of love for its OG status, but I really enjoyed la Pitoune by Trou du Diable. Any others worth seeking out (I'm sure there are)?

2. Beervana

Beervana Defender (644) Apr 15, 2014 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I'm partial to Breakside Liquid Sunshine Pilsner but I don't think it makes it anywhere East of Alberta. Pfriem also makes an excellent Pils too but I'm thinking that's BC only.

If we're talking from Canada, I think my vote would go to Hoyner Pils. Trou du Diable does make some excellent Pilsnerish beers as well.

3. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Defender (661) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Nothing better than a can of Jever when it is relatively fresh.

AugustusRex likes this.
  4. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (993) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I really like Four Winds' pils. I also thought the TDD/DDC collab Pilsner was pretty good.

Beervana likes this.
  5. Derek

Derek Poo-Bah (3,590) Apr 2, 2005 British Columbia (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I like a German Pils, even made a nice one myself this year (with Barke malt and Hallertauer).

Hoyner is very good, but I just had a Knotty Buaoy from Spindrift last week and it had even more hop character. Both top tier.

The Tree Brewing Institute has done some small batches with different hops and I've been impressed with them. Tooth & Nail's Vim & Vigor and Moon Under Water's Potts Pils are quite good. Even Steamwhistle is good when it's fresh.

For a Czech Pils, Steamworks or Four Winds.

For an 'American' Pils, definitely the Innocente Pils Sinner.

I love a good pils, there's just so many bad ones!

westcoastbeergeek likes this.
  6. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Poo-Bah (2,607) Feb 26, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

A few come to mind, but I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favourite.

Steamworks Pilsner
    Innocente Pils-Sinner
    Garrison Pils
    Amsterdam Starke Pils
    King Pilsner / Pickup Truck Pils

Coronaeus likes this.
  7. Derek

Subscriber Beer Trader

I forgot the starke Pils, it is very good!

8. CurtisD

CurtisD Devotee (421) Aug 16, 2012 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Knotty Buoy is great, actually all of Spindrift's lagers have been impressive. I really need to pick some more up the next time I'm over in NS.

9. Mlkluther

Mlkluther Devotee (477) Sep 22, 2014 Alberta (Canada)

Available in Canada:

I'm really enjoying Firestone Walker Pivo Pils. It's a bit hoppy to fit the traditional category....but I think it's great.

Based on the recommendation above I am definitely going to get my hands on La Pitoune. I haven't tried that yet and I am repeatedly very pleased with LTD beers.

Any other good Canadian brewed Pilsners that haven't been mentioned?

10. Bunman3

Bunman3 Meyvn (1,191) Aug 7, 2014 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Two of note - Half Pints Phil's Pils is really tasty.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14078/36846/

If you are in Red Deer, you might still be able to find Troubled Monk's Jaromir Lagr - it was a seasonal, but they absolutely knocked it out of the park!

Mlkluther likes this.
  11. hoser

hoser Disciple (360) Feb 17, 2003 Alberta (Canada)
    Subscriber

La Pitoune is awesome! It is my go to beer when I am drinking at the brewpub in Shagwagon and yes I know it is Shawinigan.

Mlkluther likes this.
  12. hoser

Subscriber

The Steamworks Pilsner was solid vaule in Alberta or is till the taxes go up on it August 6th.

Mlkluther likes this.
  13. hoser

Subscriber

The Le Trou du Diable/ Dieu du Ciel colab is a wit grain bill, with mosaic hops fermented on a pilsner yeast not really a pils but fun and good.

14. EspressoGuy

EspressoGuy Devotee (401) Apr 24, 2011 British Columbia (Canada)

My vote is for Moon Under Water (Victoria) Pots Pilsner

Beervana likes this.
  15. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba Initiate (188) May 5, 2011 Ontario (Canada)

They've done some nice IPA's, but this may be my favourite beer of theirs. Real nice.

The only other one I could mention is Dunahm's Snowy Spring Pilsner, but it's been 2+ years since I've had it.

16. hoser

Subscriber

Nice had it in March!

17. Derek

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'd put Driftwood's new Arcus up against anything in the country. The Tettnanger hopping is beautiful.

https://driftwoodbeer.com/beers/arcus/

Along with Hoyne and Moon Under Water, maybe the island will soon be known for Pils?

18. bylerteck

bylerteck Poo-Bah (2,906) May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This

mtomlins and JonnyBeers like this.
  19. TheHammer

TheHammer Champion (866) Feb 15, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

A bit of hometown pride might biasing this one but The Hamilton Brewery's Friday Night Pilsner has been one of my favourites. King Pilsner is also quite good, as was Mill St.'s but I haven't had it in a long time.

20. Tmappin

Tmappin Aspirant (282) Sep 25, 2008 Nova Scotia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Tooth and nail's Vim and Vigor is really great.

Stillwell Brewing has a unfiltered pilsner (kellerbeer) dropping this week at both of their bars in halifax that is tasting pretty swell.

21. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Initiate (127) Jun 4, 2009 New Brunswick (Canada)

I know that they are trying to get KB listed in NB so it might save you a trip

22. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Initiate (127) Jun 4, 2009 New Brunswick (Canada)

What about Molson's Old Style Pilsner?

LOL

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.