Best places for beer in Downtown Boston?

Discussion in 'New England' started by tronester, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tronester

tronester Meyvn (1,082) Nov 25, 2006 Oklahoma

I will be traveling to Boston for vacation and was wondering what the best bars and bottle shops near Fanneil Hall downtown are? I won't have a car so hopefully there are some good options nearby. :)

2. volta

volta Aspirant (292) Dec 21, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

3. HawkIPA

HawkIPA Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Federal Wine and Spirits is a small shop just a block or two from Faneuil. They have a great selection and very knowledgeable staff--most of their really interesting stuff is either on a small shelf in the front or in the back.

4. benbking

benbking Disciple (304) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

It's not exactly a bar but I find myself going to Saus a lot, just for beer. It's closer to where I work than Stoddards. BWE and Federal are a little different. BWE has a bigger selection but Federal seems to have some different things in, sorry I can't think of an example. Also Federal might have some older beers sitting in the basement just because, you never know what you might find.

5. Hiwattowner

Hiwattowner Devotee (402) Feb 23, 2008 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Another vote here for Saus. After all, you can't beat the waffles and fries that you can get there to wash down the beer.

tehzachatak likes this.
  6. BarrelAgedBrian

BarrelAgedBrian Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Massachusetts

Salty Pig for a drink

7. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Initiate (59) Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

You'll be right near Kinsale - usually some solid stuff on draft. Saus too

8. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Please don't hang out around Faneuil Hall....ugh

That said, best bottle shop options are Boston Wine Exchange (good selection but overpriced), Federal Wine and Spirits (small, bizarre selection but you might stumble upon some real gems), Charles Street Liquors (slightly different selection than BWX but better prices).

Faneuil bars, and Faneuil hall in general is a giant shitty tourist trap. I would recommend trying Stoddards, JM Curley, or even the Tip Tap Room. Silvertone is a fun after hours spot as well. If you want to spend 10 minutes on the train and another few minutes walking, Meadhall, Lord Hobo, and Cambridge Brewing Company are musts. If you want to spend a little longer on the train, or take a a cab, Sunset Grill & Tap is one of the best beer bars on the East Coast

9. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (510) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

JM Curley - worth a visit for their burger itself:

http://jmcurleyboston.com/

5 or 6 good drafts, lots of bottles. 10-15 minute walk from Faneuil Hall.

10. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Lord Hobo is about a thousand times better than Sunset.

bishopdc0 and bramsdell like this.
  11. Auror

Auror Defender (633) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

If I'm eating and drinking: JM Curley
    If I'm with people who want to go "out": Scholars or Kinsale
    If I want to hangout and talk to some people over drinks: Stoddard's
    Dessert: Saus

12. rknrll

rknrll Initiate (35) Jul 13, 2009 Massachusetts

Lunch and dinner burgers are different. Assume you are talking about the dinner burger though because that thing is so good.

13. willbm3

I don't necessarily disagree with you, although 1,000 might be pushing it. You can't get a 40 of Mickey's at Hobo

14. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Yeah, that was intentional exaggeration. I just dislike when people say things like "Sunset Grill & Tap is one of the best beer bars on the East Coast" (not trying to take a shot at you, I just don't think it's true!). It's a fantastic place to go when you're just starting to get into beer, but you will get very, very tired of their taplist and crappy pours quickly.

15. willbm3

I hear that. Because of all the variety it's a good place to go with a group...you don't have to worry about ostracizing anyone who isn't a beer enthusiast. I go maybe 3-4 times a year at most (it's too far out in the boonies for me) so there's usually decent changeover on the taplist, although there's definitely alot of stuff that never get changed.

16. Hibernator

Hibernator Poo-Bah (1,625) May 3, 2004 Massachusetts

I would defintitely second The Kinsale located near Government Center, super close to where you'll be by Faneuil Hall. The other selections like Stoddard's are good as well, closer to Downtown Crossing.
    Enjoy your trip.

17. tronester

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I went to the Boston wine exchange and picked up a few bottles. Pretty pricy, but a nice selection. I was bummed though, because they wouldn't sell me a single bottle of founders breakfast stout.

I ended up going to the Fenway Beer Works the first night after the game, which had some pretty good English style ales. Unfortunately that was the only beer centered place I was able to go to, but had a few good beers at some of the restaurants I ate at.

18. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Out of curiosity, mind sharing where you ate at?

19. tronester

Sure. For lunch Thursday I ate at Barney fannings. They didnt have a very good beer selection, but did have Harpoon IPA on draft so I got that. Dinner Thursday at Fenway Beer Works, and I got a 23oz pour of their scottish style ale. Unfortunately they were out of their cask offering.

On Friday I ate lunch at a place that didnt serve beer. Friday evening I ate at antico forno. Their beer selection wasn't great either, but I did get a Longtrail IPA which was decent.

Saturday I ate lunch at a place that didnt serve beer. For dinner I ate at Waterfront cafe. It's a sports bar (the people I was with wanted to watch a game), but had a surprising draft and bottle selection. I was going to get Lagunitas Sucks, but they were out so I got Victory Headwaters pale ale on draft. I also went to a sports bar called Vito's, and they too had a nice beer selection.

Obviously none other than Beer Works had an amazing craft selection, but it was surprising that just about every place had one good craft pick, if not many more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe