Best Places To Buy Growlers & Squealers In Sydney

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Marcas, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Marcas

Marcas Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Australia

Where are the best places in Sydney to buy quality beer in growlers & squealers?
    I have tried beer from Riverside Brewery at Parramatta & Steve's Cool Booze in Kingsford & was quite satisfied with their offerings.

2. mulder1010

mulder1010 Meyvn (1,019) Aug 29, 2008 Australia

Riverside does sell growlers if that helps.
    Camperdown Cellars does, but I think that it is just the Australian Brewery's stuff only.
    Beer Cartel and Warners at the Bay sell both. Neither are counter pressure filled though
    Platinum liquor will have a Counter pressure system by the end of the year.

3. Lukie

Lukie Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2007 Australia

I still can't believe places are just pouring from a tap. Ridonculous!

4. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Champion (893) Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

Agree, the best place would be Riverside, open from 2-6pm Friday and 10am-2pm Saturday.

4 Pines also do tap fills at Manly. Last i heard they would only fill 4 Pines branded growlers, but that could've changed.

The Oak Barrel in the city does 750ml PET bottles (bottles are free), but they haven't had Riverside on yet.

Young Henry's in Newtown also do fills from the brewery if you happen to like their beer a lot more than me.

I didn't realise Steve's Cool Booze was filling them, haven't been out there in years...last time i think i was there it was called Liquor on Parade and that was ages ago.

Camperdown Cellars (Parramatta Road store) ended up getting rid of their growler system, but Australian Brewery (Rouse Hill) stuff is available for fills at the brewery itself. The bottleshop out near Camden (can't remember the name) also got rid of their system as i think the business changed hands.

5. mulder1010

Tragic about the shop in Camden. Big bummer.
    Forgot about Steve's cool booze.
    Worth the drive to Canberra as Plonk as a good system.
    Do not buy the hype on Young Henry's on twitter. Utter garbage for beer

6. Stephen1

Stephen1 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 Australia

This is a bit of self promotion but I want you all to know that at Steve's Cool Booze Kingsford, Sydney we have a counter pressure growler filler with 4 different beers on at any time. We usually have limited release & seasonal beers available for growler or squealer fills & they are reasonably priced.
    The beers we have on right know include Murray's Spartacus (10% alc/vol Imp IPA) & Stone & Wood Aureus Chrysalis (Scotch Ale/Belgian Dubbel hybrid).
    If you are after something a bit different, we have a huge range of bottled craft beer brands from Australia & all over the world including Feral, Red Hill, Sierra Nevada & Bear Republic.
    Check out our website for Growler info stevescoolbooze.com.au/

If you are over our way sometime, come in & sample the beers we are pouring.

7. mulder1010

Do take growlers from other places?? Or you have to buy your own??

8. Stephen1

Stephen1 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 Australia

We will fill any standard size growler or squealer. We will even give it a wash & sanitise it for you.

9. danieelol

danieelol Savant (955) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

Looking forward to checking you guys out when I get a chance.

10. heygeebee

heygeebee Poo-Bah (1,557) Aug 6, 2010 Australia

Steve - i think you just won the inaugural Aussie Beer Advocate 'Under-The-Radar' Award. Cannot believe no-one on the forum realised until just now you could get counter-pressure in Sydney. Good stuff!

11. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

You could, but the two places that did have counter-pressure no longer do growlers (Camperdown Cellars & Local Taphouse)

12. CarlisleWineBin

CarlisleWineBin Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2008 Australia

Do you know what they did with the equipment?

13. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

Not sure about the Taphouse.

Camperdown said "The equipment was owned by the AB brewery. It's something we might (be) looking at bringing back in a better way down the track."

Bags not asking Neal with the preface "so I was on BeerAdvocate and was wondering....

heygeebee likes this.
  14. mulder1010

Obviously Beer Cartel would have no idea how to work that contraption.

Maybe they should siphon it out of the keg

15. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

Was in at the Taphouse last night and no sign of the growler system. Oztapguy should know though.

16. Lukie

How was Tusk?

17. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

Solid, a bit boozy. But a really nice smelling beer. Impressed with the attention to freshness and the intention to distribute it around a bit.

Worth heading in to try and probably glad spicelab, danieelol & I called it quits when we did.

18. danieelol

danieelol Savant (955) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

Personally, I'd rate it about a 3.25

Taste was 1/2 booze, 1/2 hops. No real malt there.

19. dgilks

dgilks Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2008 Australia

Who needs malt? Hops + booze = amazing. *goes to find bottle of hopfengeist*

20. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

Tusk wasn't amazing, but it stood head & shoulders above the other 2 Aussie DIPA's I've had in the last few days.

21. Lukie

Not supposed to be any malt character. I did find it to have a big boozy alcohol flavour. Only slight tweaks to the recipe from six years ago.

It's super dry. Second driest beer they do after Boris (which is just pure fresh purculated coffee)

danieelol likes this.
  22. mulder1010

You have to stick to the Pale Ales :slight_smile:
    Maybe Tusk will be classified as an IPA and be grand champion at AIBA this year.

MrKennedy likes this.
  23. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

Sort of half glad that I didn't miss out on something great when it was offered at the Scratch Bar on Friday...

24. hawthorne00

hawthorne00 Initiate (131) Nov 23, 2010 Australia

YMMV of course, but I thought Tusk better than any IIPA I've tried (they've all been here) and one of a very few that's lived up to the vaunted big, hoppy, dry and snappy finish idea.

25. mulder1010

If it is boozy then there is an issue. Have had 3 month old Coronado that hides the alcohol better than that. I thought boris was crap and if I am reading this right I would hate Tusk.
    Feral should stick with kegged sours and not sending to the Eastern States as they might be found out as not that great after all

26. sinkas

sinkas Aspirant (203) Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Beer Trader

hey mulder did you like raging flem?

27. sirob

sirob Initiate (140) May 30, 2007 Australia

Steves Cool Booze - Anzac Parade, Kingsford had a proper counter pressure growler fill thingy. Cant remember what beer was pouring though.

28. sirob

sirob Initiate (140) May 30, 2007 Australia

Sorry just realized OP mentioned them.

29. scmorgan

scmorgan Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2005 Australia

oK, I bite Lukie. What happens it is a tap with a tube? Am i leading into an argument about counter-pressure filling these bottles and not counter pressure filling?

Things are on the up in The Gong. IBC are filling from the brewery a few arvos a week. If folks want I can do the Sharpelle Corby and bring back some to Sydney. I should make it back over Taren Point bridge, even though I breached my Shire visa some time ago...

Scotty

30. Kavaler

Kavaler Initiate (0) May 5, 2013 Australia

Guys just wanted to give you all a headsup we at TRU BRU have launched the online store www.trubru.bigcartel.com

Growler and PET 750ml are up on sale and selection always changes. Few unique bottles too (currently Alamanac and Knee Deep packs)

Check out the Garage Project triple pack at 40% off RRP.

Any recommendation on what kegs to get in is also welcome.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.