Best priced 6 packs in Southern California

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by RaulMondesi, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Champion (873) Dec 11, 2006 California

After buying a six pack of Sculpin today for $14.99 and realizing that I will probably never do that again, I am curious on what are some better options out there.

2. drewzline

drewzline Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2006 California

I have a hard time beating anything from Lagunitas or Sierra Nevada in the price/quality category.

I think sculpin is fantastic but I don't understand why six packs cost so much. Anybody know?

domtronzero likes this.
  3. joey_c

joey_c Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Sculpin is probably my go to 6-pack beer. The best prices I've seen in San Diego are at 711 ($13.50) and Bed Bath and Beyond ($14.99) but you can use a $5 off $15 coupon (those are very easy to find). The only problem is BBB doesn't keep theirs in a fridge.

4. PG2G

PG2G Devotee (484) Dec 26, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

My go to is Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin at like $10

5. Whatdyisit

Whatdyisit Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2010 California

A $15 six pack comes out to about 21 cents and oz, or roughly a $4.60 bomber. At least that's the way I justify it.

Earlycsquid likes this.
  6. dcgunman

dcgunman Defender (605) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

total wine n more for 13.99. minus a buck with coupon. i would pay 15 for a six pack of sculpin in cans (fresh). no problem. it taste better out of cans than bottle for sure. and maybe better than draft. dont forget a bomber of sculpin cost between 7 and 8. i think a six of ruination is 15 also. you can always get a twelve pack of racer 5 for 14 at total. it all depends on what you are willing to spend on what you enjoy drinking. i would not buy a 6er of st archer ipa for 6 or 7.

Zerric likes this.
  7. iluvBA4life

iluvBA4life Initiate (64) Jan 18, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Mission Street Pale Ale at Any Trader Joes. It's $5.99 a six pack, made at Firestone Walker, and has a bottled on date that's very easy to read on the label.

8. frankzito

frankzito Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2006 Arizona

sculpin is 13.99 at vons, they had it at 10.89 for a few weeks which was a killer deal. someone said lagunitas is going to have sucks available year-round, and that 9.99 price point is unbeatable.

grandmachine and dannyhipps like this.
  9. dcgunman

Beer Trader

10.89 is a great price. but was it still fresh? what was the date on it. They seem to put beers on sale when its close to out of date.

10. JasonFromLA

JasonFromLA Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 California

Once Sucks hits year-round status, yeah, can't beat that.

grrrah and AptosBeerDrinker like this.
  11. frankzito

frankzito Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2006 Arizona

it was fresh. they just had a pretty long 20-25% off deal for their craft brew selection. this guy knows julian dating.

dcgunman likes this.
  12. leedorham

leedorham Defender (698) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

lol at your expensive beer and houses.

I take pleasure in your misfortune.

davemont likes this.
  13. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (272) Jun 13, 2006 California

i like New Belgium Rampant for 8.99; Torpedo for 8.99 (sometimes 7.99), Racer 5 for 8.99 even Dales Pale Ale for 8.99. I haven't bought a 6 pack of Sculpin in a long time due to the price.

14. imyourhero21

imyourhero21 Devotee (486) Oct 9, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

6.99 six packs of pivo pilsner at palm springs liquor is hard to beat

errantnight likes this.
  15. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (187) Sep 5, 2005 California

But he said 6-packs. I think Sucks is just going to be in the 32s yearround.

16. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

Sculpin used to be worth it, the quality of that beer has gone down big time IMO.

I buy lots of Maximus & Stone IPA

domtronzero likes this.
  17. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Initiate (154) Jun 5, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Where I shop, Uinta Hop Notch and Stone Ipa are 9.99. But my go to is Lagunitas anything at 10 bucks. Uinta Dubhe is good to at 9.99, but that's a 4 pk.

Even at $14.99, Sculpin is one of the highest selling pack beers where I work at.

18. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,029) Mar 18, 2010 California

Anchor Steam for $6.99 a six pack with the e-mail coupon from Total Wine.

19. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Initiate (177) Aug 9, 2011 California

I think Sucks in 32's was a joke.

20. JasonFromLA

JasonFromLA Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 California

I believe it is going to be in six packs with limited 32 oz distro.

21. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker Initiate (177) Aug 9, 2011 California

That was my understanding last year as well but then the 32's never made an appearance.

Either way, I agree with you, Sucks is BY FAR my favorite beer in 6packs.

22. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (187) Sep 5, 2005 California

It doesn't sound like it to me. Here's a post Tony made a few months back about it. Regardless, we'll know in October, I suppose.

EDIT: And the reason 32s haven't happened yet is because they haven't had the hops for it. Hence the October timeframe, after the hop harvest.

Gilmango likes this.
  23. grrrah

grrrah Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

but its less than $10/sixer. $$$ = good, right?

24. jamex

jamex Aspirant (244) Feb 13, 2010 California

I buy Dale's Pale at Trader Joe's for 8.99, or Racer 5 12'ers at BevMo when I'm not at a bottleshop. But yeah, once Sucks comes out (if it does show up in 6'ers) it'll most likely replace the above.

25. booglez

booglez Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 California

Can usually find Drake's 1500 for around 8-9 bucks a sixer. Wish Alpha was available in sixers and not just 4-packs.
    Never understood that. You'd figure a session pale would be a no-brainer for a sixer. But alas, it's only been available as a bomber and a 4-pack. Weird.....

26. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,055) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Beer Trader Subscriber

It's also virtually identical to Pale 31

domtronzero and iluvBA4life like this.
  27. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,055) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Beer Trader Subscriber

Sculpin in six packs
    Sucks when it's around
    Pivo Pils and Velvet Merlin (and Union Jack)
    Mission St Pale
    Anything Sierra Nevada

SageO likes this.
  28. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2006 California

Hopefully with all these breweries popping up in San Diego, someone will be smart enough to bottle or can 12ozers. A local sixer of IPA or a hoppy pale would crush it, IMO. Sculpin is overpriced and underwhelming many times, needs to be more competition!

29. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2008 California

I can't think of a west coast brewery since 2010 that's come out with 6 packs priced around $10. Closest has been Golden Road and now Modern Times with 16 oz 4 packs.

I just dont buy bottles from new breweries anymore and it doesn't seem like many other people do either as I see Strand, Rough Draft, Lightning, Inland Empire, Aztec and many more newbie beers just sit there on shelves getting old and without bottle dates.

30. drewzline

I never realized there was a bottled date. That's rad. I'll look next time. Where should I focus my attention?

31. drewzline

Also, I got a four-pack of Torpedo for $7 and I thought that was a great deal. If I can get fresh canned Fortunate Islands or Lomaland for around $10, I'll feel blessed.

32. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2011 California

Man...fuck all that 6-pack noise. Just buy a 24-pack of Stone IPA at Costco for $26. BooYa!!!!

domtronzero and st1ckboy like this.
  33. drewzline

Preach! Best value around.

34. charlesfenway

charlesfenway Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2010 California

My local Rite Aid has Lagunitas IPA 12-packs for $11.99-$12.99 on sale fairly often, and they will give you a rain check if they are sold out. Hard to beat that IMHO.

dannyhipps likes this.
  35. jmerriken

jmerriken Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2008 California

Stone IPA is $7.99 a six pack at Total Wine. $6.99 with coupon

36. iluvBA4life

iluvBA4life Initiate (64) Jan 18, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Bottom left corner area on the paper label. TJ will put the older ones up front to get rid of them most of the time, so you might have to dig through.

37. PlinyTheYoungest

PlinyTheYoungest Aspirant (210) Jun 30, 2009 California

That's the 6-pack can price, but the bottles are $11.99. I no longer buy Sculpin anywhere else.

dcgunman likes this.
  38. dcgunman

Beer Trader

You're right. I just dont buy the bottles anymore. I think the can Sculpin is better. IMO. After having a 15 gal keg of Sculpin in my kegerator I just cant see buying the bottles anymore. But with the cans. . . .a different story.

PlinyTheYoungest likes this.
  39. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Savant (971) Sep 4, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Albertsons has had a sale for a few months now where if you buy a mixed case of 6 packs you get 30% off. You get stuff like Sierra Nevada for 6-7 bucks and Sculpin comes out to 11 something. You should check it out.

joey_c likes this.
  40. whiskey

whiskey Aspirant (271) Feb 25, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Where are these TW coupons I hear about? I've never received one. Lots of emails, no coupons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More