Best pubs in the Peak District?

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by ImperialStoat, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialStoat

ImperialStoat Initiate (0) May 20, 2009 Ireland

Anyone have recommendations for pubs in the Peak District? I'm looking for ones with good selections, ideally inclusive of Buxton Brewery.

2. ReluctantScooper

ReluctantScooper Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 England

Let me know which part of the Peaks you'll be in and I'll point you in the right direction. Selection isn't really the Peaks' strong suit, though...

3. ImperialStoat

Gotcha'.

I realise it's a vast area, but are there any pubs (one or two) in the Peaks you'd classify as "unmissable", taking into account the entire package (building, location, beer quality)?

4. marquis

marquis Champion (812) Nov 20, 2005 England

5. ImperialStoat

Now we're talking. Thanks a lot, Marquis -- both of those look excellent choices.

6. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,758) Jan 24, 2011 England
    Society

The Barley Mow, is it still run by that scoundrel Arthur Pringle?

7. marquis

THAT Barley Mow was in fact the Windmill at Redmile (about a mile from the castle on my avatar) , a cracking pub in the 80s when Olive kept it.Had Ruddles County (the genuine variety) at a time when all other beer was session ale.
    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31166/
    I understand it's now for sale.

The one at Kirk Ireton-my wife and I went a few years ago and as soon as we entered we were included in the conversation.Lovely and snug with a log fire, beer served from behind a hatch by gravity. I seem to remember there were 3 casks on at the time.

8. ReluctantScooper

Off the top of my head, two pubs close together and definitely in the Peaks are the Stable Bar of the Monsal Head Hotel and the Packhorse Inn at Little Longstone:
    http://www.monsalhead.com/The Stable Bar.html
    http://www.packhorselongstone.co.uk/
    Stables often has a Buxton beer on, Pack Horse always has a Thornbridge beer on (it's about a mile away from Thornbridge Hall).
    The two are about a ten minute walk apart, Monsal Heasd having the quintessential Peak District views and both being close to the Monsal Trail that now extends through the tunnels of the old Buxton-Bakewell railway.

Most of the tourist-villlages in the White Peak have fairly hideous overpriced/under-quality pubs serving cooking bitter. Exceptions include the Bowling Green at Winster, the Bulls Head at Monyash (I've had Buxton beer there), Cheshire Cheese in Hope and the Charles Cotton Hotel in Hartington (Whim beers).

If you're in the south-east of the Peaks, there's a stack of places worth visiting in the Derbyshire Dales, including those that Marquis has mentioned.

9. ImperialStoat

That's really a fantastic help, Scoop. Thanks a lot. I've made notes of all the places you mentioned (including the places to stay away from).

10. ReluctantScooper

The Castleston - Edale - Hathersage - Baslow - Bakewell area is riven with poor pubs selling generic bitter at rip-off prices to tourists.

You could always get some bottles in (Chatsworth Farm shop, Bakewell Farmers Market shop) or even buy in a nine-pint minicask from Thornbridge (the Riverside brewery near Bakewell has a shop open weekdays).

And Buxton itself has a couple of good pubs, hotel bars and a JDW.

11. marquis

Yes, the Pack Horse is from memory an excellent pub, it's a few years since I was there but then it was a lovely unspoilt pub ( I hope it still is) and we spent rather longer than originally we intended!

12. ReluctantScooper

Pack Horse has good food too; beef is from the field next door, boar from the woods on the Thornbridge estate that have been fed on the spent mash. Had my birthday lunch there last year. It does get very busy - probably seats about thirty at a real push - so it's worth calling ahead / turning up early.

13. ImperialStoat

More information! Thanks again. I've marked the Stable Bar and the Pack Horse as definites.
    Thanks to you also, Marquis.

14. marquis

I don't know how long you intend to be in that part of the world but in fact it's a reasonably compact area and all the pubs are reasonably accessible.

15. ImperialStoat

About three days, Friday to Sunday. Thanks -- I'll bear that in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.