Best Stout Brewed in New York State

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by jvillefan, Jul 7, 2021.

1. jvillefan

jvillefan Champion (851) Sep 3, 2011 California
    Trader

This randomly came up in conversation and nearly everyone was at a loss for the best stout in New York State. Brooklyn Black Ops came up but the group consensus was Destination Unknown's Abuse of Stout came out on top. Evil Twin was decidedly not a NY brewery. Any other suggestions?

2. Stignacious

Stignacious Crusader (774) Aug 24, 2011 New York

This is going to be tough because of (what I'm sure will be) the regionalization of the rest of the responses. I'm going to represent the Finger Lakes and say War Horse's Breakfast with Churchill (including variants, although the original is the best).

Rocktire likes this.
  3. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,758) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I agree with @Stignacious that people are probably going to go with local options. When I think of NY stouts that received a more widespread reputation, the results are unsurprisingly old-school:

Brooklyn Black Chocolate shouldn’t be underestimated in the conversation.

Southampton Imperial Russian Stout developed a big reputation for the release day type a decade ago.

Evil Twin’s Imperial Biscotti Break made waves but I don’t know if it was ever brewed here.

Finback’s BQE might have been the first from the new breed of small brewers to develop a very good reputation.

The above aren’t personal favorites - they are just the beers that were/are talked about the most. I don’t think I have a favorite. I really enjoyed Black Ops from cask once... but that had a lot to do with my love for cask beer.

rozzom, sulldaddy and jonphisher like this.
  4. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,487) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

rozzom, sulldaddy and jonphisher like this.
  5. npolachek

npolachek Meyvn (1,017) Jul 13, 2018 New York
    Trader

1) Prison City Double Barrel Wham Whams
    2) Mortalis Brewery - multiple

Sheppard and Resuin like this.
  6. jvillefan

jvillefan Champion (851) Sep 3, 2011 California
    Trader

Mortalis is a great brewery. I dont know how they slipped my mind

7. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,228) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I'm surprised Mortalis wasn't mentioned sooner. The Pear Brandy Leto (which I believe they had last week on Malt Couture) is rated a 4.96 on Untappd and is one of the highest rated beers on the entire site. They have several stouts in the upper echelon, so I'd say they'd probably be a contender. I don't know if that's local hype or what though.

rozzom likes this.
  8. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,228) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Correction: Malt Couture had it on this week.

rozzom and Ryanwithacomb like this.
  9. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Aspirant (255) Dec 2, 2010 New York
    Trader

Mortalis genuinely deserves every bit of hype they get. Stellar is an understatement. Haven't had that Leto, but stouts from them I have had are killer. Couple years ago it was like a humid, 90-degree day and I was there and had (among other things) some like 11% pecan stout and it drank beautifully. Do you know how good you have to be to make an 11% adjunct stout palatable, let alone delicious on a hot, humid day as somebody sits outside?

My answer, though, is Common Roots' Snowy Night. Just an 8% imperial stout with vanilla beans and it's absolutely stupid how good it is. Creamy, roasty, slightly bitter, decadent where it needs to be. Can't sing its praises highly enough.

Thin Man's BBA PB Jenkins is unreal too, though I wouldn't want to drink it as often as Snowy Night.

Rocktire, rozzom and Sheppard like this.
  10. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (2,101) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

Double Negative by Grimm was always a must buy when it was in bomber form but I haven’t had it since it was re-formatted.

Xerlic, Lucoli, Ryanwithacomb and 2 others like this.
  11. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,058) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

OG - BBCS
    Current era - BQE
    Personal fave - Nothing is forever (threes)

Xerlic and Lucoli like this.
  12. AirBob

AirBob Crusader (710) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Singlecut Heavy Boots of Lead is another contender IMO. Echoing Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - excellent, affordable, and ages well.

sulldaddy, SABERG and Ryanwithacomb like this.
  13. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Aspirant (255) Dec 2, 2010 New York
    Trader

Oh this is a great call. I, too, haven't had it since the format change so I need to rectify that when its released this year.

Lucoli and guinness77 like this.
  14. Lucoli

Lucoli Defender (651) Apr 2, 2013 New York
    Trader

It hasn’t been the same since the first 3-4 batches in the bombers

dmb987 likes this.
  15. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (637) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Yes as a non-native, that has always been available at my beer stores and is a great option. That would be my #1 as some others mentioned (Heavy Boots of Lead and BQE etc) give me a bit of licorice on the palette, which is not very appealing.

16. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (2,101) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

Double Negative used to remind me of OG Ten Fidy. So much chocolate, somehow properly balanced.

I want to pick up a DN just for the nostalgic reasons (and I may still have an old one in my basement) but the fact they shrunk the bottle and basically charged the same price rubbed me the wrong way a bit.

Holy shit! I have a September’17 bottle downstairs. Better drink that soon.

sulldaddy and Lucoli like this.
  17. Xerlic

Xerlic Zealot (530) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

PB Leto was not available to the general public. It's kind of similar to Eighth State's Monolith in that you either had to know someone or trade/spend heavily to get your hands on a bottle. That 4.96 probably had something to do with low sample size + biased ratings. That being said Mortalis stouts are very good. I've only ever had non-wax Nyx and Hypnos and enjoyed both very much.

Sheppard and ColdOne like this.
  18. dmb987

dmb987 Aspirant (239) Jul 24, 2014 New York
    Trader

Save yourself the money. It's not the same beer

19. LuckFreeZone

LuckFreeZone Initiate (92) Oct 24, 2016 New York

As an upstate New Yorker I am a bit disappointed by the lack of what I see as stand-out stout options.

I have always liked Brooklyn's BCS. Mentally, I group it with Bell's Expedition, Sierra Nevada's Narwhal, Great Lakes Blackout Stout as Russian Imperials that are almost always good and some years are exceptional . . . for a non-BA stout. Every year there seems to be one of that group that I prefer to Ten FIDY.

That said, Evil Twin has a lot of offerings and seems to hit the mark pretty square each time. I would give them the nod for the best 3 or 4 non-RIS, NY stouts I have had.

Disclaimer: I have not tried anything from Mortalis yet, which I have seen several nice things written about lately. I have tried stouts from at least 30 other NY breweries.

20. orcrist_cleaver

orcrist_cleaver Poo-Bah (2,094) May 3, 2014 New York
    Society Trader

Crossroads Black Rock Stout was one of my first introductions to craft beer around 7 years ago.
    Newburgh quietly makes a very enjoyable RIS and milk stout, Newburgh Conspiracy and Collusion, both in BA and non BA forms.
    Drowned Lands has a coconut stout that I'm fond of.
    I remember stouts from the North brewery in Endicott getting a lot of love. Maybe a few years ago, but their God Complex was the darling of TapNY.
    Keegan's Joe Mamas.
    And Singlecut Heavy Boots of Lead- rum BA.

LuckFreeZone likes this.
  21. untitledeuphoria

untitledeuphoria Aspirant (253) Apr 26, 2014 New York

There is never a singular best when it comes to something so objective, so keep an open mind and try any of the options people are mentioning.

In my experience here in NYS I have found the following to be rather enjoyable:

Singlecut - Heavy Boots of Lead
    Finback - BA BQE
    Grimm - Sumi Babka/Snow/Ink/etc
    Interboro - Ambassador
    Evil Twin - Imperial Biscotti Break (and most Ridgewood stuff)
    Obercreek - French Press
    Brooklyn BCS

Not quite the riches you find in other parts of the country (the great lakes seems to have a plethora of great stouts), but they are fine options when in the region.

LuckFreeZone likes this.