Best "That's still on the shelf?!" Surprise?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AnalogErik, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (473) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I still can't believe that Domus Birrae had Lost Abbey Angel's Share. Made my wife very happy.

I still see Bolt Cutters around town. Works for me, I thought it was excellent and will be cracking one at the year mark in a couple of months to see how they're doing.

2. DHS1029

DHS1029 Aspirant (252) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Will have to hit up those places. This was at Prairie Moon Ale House. Their beer menu was quite nice and the food was too notch.

3. spark3148857

spark3148857 Defender (661) Dec 4, 2010 California

Found 2009 Stone IRS on a shelf in San Francisco the other day...

alex_hart and neenerzig like this.
  4. PerHops

PerHops Devotee (470) Apr 5, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Sucaba a month after it was released. Also rose de gambrinus 750s on Valentines week. We had two on valentines day and another the following friday. It felt pretty great to be able to pop those like they were shelf beers.

5. s_wit

s_wit Disciple (355) Apr 26, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I still see expedition and third coast in wi dells.

6. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Devotee (430) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Not a huge deal, but I did find some Stone w00tstout magically reappear on a shelf at one of my favorite places...had to grab one more for the cellar!!

neenerzig likes this.
  7. s_wit

s_wit Disciple (355) Apr 26, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Oh and I forgot, 3F golden blend has been there all summer. Still a half dozen bottles left.

8. Sunn

Sunn Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2012 Iowa

They have to keep the stuff stashed. I ended up getting two 4-packs of KBS (Traded one 4-pack) which were covered in dust and cobwebs. I found a bottling date on one bottle of each 4-pack and they were from 2010. So it's obvious the owner gave in and finally wanted others to try it. Thank fuck he finally did, because I NEVER thought I'd ever have a chance to try it; let alone a bottle with almost three years of age on it. Holy sweet flying fuck it was amazing. I'm seriously depressed I only have one bottle left.

I haven't had Black Butte XXV yet, but I went there yesterday and saw a full shelf of it again so I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. And I absolutely agree, I love that place. Every single time I go in there, I always see a beer that should be flying off the shelves.

9. DocHo11idaze

DocHo11idaze Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 California

two unopened cases of Russian River Bling Pig. Opened to find bottled december 2011...sigh

10. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,433) Mar 18, 2010 California

Yikes. Where?

11. rx-beer

rx-beer Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2013 Puerto Rico

Last week found a bottle 2012 Utopias...really thought it would've been gone by now. They also had some Dark Depths Baltic IPA and Norse Legend Sahti. These might be easy to come by stateside, but they're quite rare down here in PR. Anyway, made my day!

alex_hart likes this.
  12. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (1,805) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio

Stone 2004 Vertical Epic was found by me in October of 2006 at Chuck's Fine Wines in Chagrin Falls. Then about 2 months later on my 24th birthday I found Stone 8th Anniversary Ale at a store the name of which I don't remember. And like 2 or 3 weeks later I found Stone 9th Anniversary Ale someplace else. I got like 3 bottles of all of them. It was awesome.

13. neenerzig

I'd love to get one of those to cellar!

14. neenerzig

I found 2009 Stone Old Guardian at The Party Source in Kentucky over the weekend.

BorisKarloff likes this.
  15. DocHo11idaze

mega liqour on hamner in norco, its one of my accounts. was counting inventory and saw it, got really excited followed by a huge sick feeling

dianimal likes this.
  16. DocHo11idaze

oh yeh they got some stone 14th on the shelf too

dianimal likes this.
  17. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Devotee (416) May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

God bless, I can't trade my first born for this beer and you found it on the shelf...I bet there is me on the shelf somewhere out there just waiting for me to find it!

18. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Aspirant (200) Apr 29, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I picked up some 2009 when I was at Party Source several months ago! Good stuff.

19. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Aspirant (295) Nov 20, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Found some '12 Big John last week while on vacation, also Beer Geek Bfast and DFH Bitches Brew. I was happy, bank account was sad.

alex_hart likes this.
  20. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Devotee (456) Sep 13, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Jai Alai. Just sitting there on the shelf! Have to buy every time.

21. Jonada

Jonada Champion (841) May 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I think anyone who was at Hair of the Dog yesterday wins this thread

alex_hart likes this.
  22. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Initiate (176) Apr 25, 2013 Illinois

I finally met the guy who does the ordering, I don't think you'll never have to be disappointed with that place, he has an awesome attitude to providing the best stuff, and seems to have everybody's best interests in mind when it comes to getting hard to find stuff and making it available to those who want it. I think I have to go back and grab some of the Ballast point bombers that are there now and try those too, any recommendations you would have that you had grabbed there before that you really enjoyed?

23. DocHo11idaze

Ballast point sculpin and dorado dipa re the beez knees.

24. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Maine

Maine. Sat there for a long time too.

25. james582

james582 Devotee (400) Jun 20, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I guess that was not a recent find then. But where in maine anywhere near bluehill?

26. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (790) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

It always scares me to purchase old bottles from places. I don't think these bottles are being properly cellared and form what I've seen the just sit on the shelf in warmer then appropriate room temperature and subject to florescent light for most of the day. I've purchased some of these types of bottles and while I've never had something undrinkable I often wonder if I'm getting something less than what the brewer would want to get from their product.

27. jstout26

jstout26 Initiate (158) May 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

2012 Narwhal
    ST Mokah
    ST Backburner
    2012 GI Christmas Ale
    BA Old Rasputin XV
    Allagash FV13

needless to say, I picked up some of each of those!

28. dianimal

dianimal Initiate (161) Apr 18, 2012 California

[​IMG]
    I just went into a store that had lots of dusty and/or moldy beer bottles. Don't know if or when I'll crack this open, but I couldn't pass it up ($4.50). Anyone know how old this might be?

They had a lot of fresh stuff, too (for example, the most recent Enjoy By).

29. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 Initiate (112) Sep 5, 2012 Kansas
    Beer Trader

I don't know if that's how it is all over Florida, but I saw cases of sub-$7 Pumking bottles, cases of Sculpin and shelves of Victory at Sea. I'm sure the TSA had a good laugh at my expense when they checked my luggage.

30. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,433) Mar 18, 2010 California

Old. They haven't used those labels for a long while.

31. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Here's one for ya....
    Walked into one of my less frequented stores and the guy had just put out 4...count them FOUR....bottles of Tactical Nuclear Penguin that he had been sitting on in his back room!

Now that I look around online....I should have thought harder about buying one...he only wanted 85 bucks for one. They're selling for like $150 online.

Ummm....I see you from New Hampshire....where exactly did you still find FV13? That stuff was amuhmuhmazing.

32. Averwo

Averwo Disciple (371) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Found some Founders Breakfast Stout bottled Dec 2012 at the Hy-Vee in Newton, IA today. They had 3 4 packs.

33. LancetherealLeader

LancetherealLeader Devotee (430) Jul 12, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

We are drowning in cases of 2012 FBS here in Charleston. Haven't bought any yet, though.

34. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Maine

Not too far. little over an 1.5 hr. No, this was just picked up. When I was at the store a couple weeks ago there was 3 of each(Cherry and Coffee), 2 weeks ago just 2 Cherry and last week just one.

35. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Aspirant (266) Apr 6, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Mind sharing the location?

36. Benish

Benish Savant (975) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Saw a ton of CW BA La Petite Mort at a local liquor store I hardly visit. Plus a SN 30th Anniversary...but wasn't that released a few yrs ago??

37. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

Richmond,tx.. went to get a bottle of whiskey and I always float by the beer section to see whats around .. Saw a bottle of Ruination .. Enjoy by 02-15-12... Jesus H .. that would have been a shitty bottle of Ruin.

38. ParkerAE

ParkerAE Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 California

I just found some Russian River Damnation today. Bottled on 3-01-13. While I am new to California(beer wise) this is exactly the kinda stuff I never expect to see sitting on the shelf. Even if it does sit for awhile, I still got/am excited.

39. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (1,735) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Premium Member Beer Trader

The regular Drie Fonteninen Oude Geuze. I see this on shelves at many bottle shops. It's less expensive than the Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic and as good.

40. james582

james582 Devotee (400) Jun 20, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Do you mind telling what store this was and where?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.