Best "That's still on the shelf?!" Surprise?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AnalogErik, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2012 Illinois

Play on playa

2. Sunn

Sunn Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2012 Iowa

BCBS's still sitting on the shelf at the store I shop at. They also have Founders Breakfast Stout, Curmudgeon, and KBS still sitting there. There was one dusty 4-pack of KBS sitting on the shelf and I grabbed it thinking that'd be all they had. I walk in the next day to check and the shelf's full of KBS again. To top it off, I finally found a bottling date and they're from 2010! Might have to go back today and pick up another 4-pack or two. My wallet HATES ME.

3. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Devotee (482) Dec 30, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

Where in the world do you shop?? That is unreal!

4. RichD

RichD Champion (812) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

If you don't want those 2010 KBSs I'll gladly take them!

5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

With the new stuff coming out this is where you see if the owner/manager would drop the price. TW over bought and had FBS at $4.50 a 4 /pk, you might get a similar deal if you ask.

6. Sunn

Haha, another member seemed just as shocked as you did when I brought this up in a different thread. The shop's Eagle River Liquor in Fulton, IL. It's a really small town, and the store's a hidden gem for craft beer lovers. Hardly anybody drinks craft beer in my area. I went in there to and got some Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' and the lady who checked me out said "That's a weird name, I'll just stick to Coors light." So highly acclaimed beers that people wait in lines for just sit on the shelves for months, sometimes years. It's fantastic.

I would if it didn't taste like it was brewed by a god.

firstlighthiker and RichD like this.
  7. JKV96

JKV96 Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2013 Massachusetts

Not sure how far from you but Julio's in Westborough had a ton of it on Sunday.

RichD likes this.
  8. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Poo-Bah (1,810) Aug 22, 2013 California
    Society Trader

GI Juliet, Big John, Night Stalker
    Love Child

9. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,931) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico
    Society

Was just in Alaska and saw a 2012 Deschutes Abyss on the shelves. I stuck with local beers while there, but was quite tempted to make an exception for that one.

alex_hart likes this.
  10. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Can get you more if interested. Last visit locally had half case left.

11. dianimal

dianimal Aspirant (236) Apr 18, 2012 California

I need to take a road trip

12. Respirologist

Respirologist Initiate (175) Feb 26, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

[​IMG]

Owner said "Not for Sale, I'm aging it, worth a couple grand" ...........

13. Jacob007

Jacob007 Aspirant (231) Sep 18, 2012 New Hampshire

Two for packs breakfest stout from December. Pre aged!

14. WTKeene

WTKeene Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2013 New Mexico

I was pretty surprised to see a bunch of Mikkeller Spontannoble, Spontantframboos, and a few other Spontan-series Lambics at this random place in Providence RI, at 16 bucks per 12oz bottle which I suppose explains why they were there. Haven't seen them anywhere else. Found some Rye on Rye at a place in SE MA a few weeks back, all my normal places had run out of Rye on Rye months earlier.

15. greg357

greg357 Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2010 Wisconsin

A little liquor store near me STILL as 2013 Bigfoot on sale for $4.99! Probaby 2-3 cases left as of last weekend. I drank MORE than my share of it, it will probably be years before I touch another barleywine:grimacing:...
    gg
    PS: Cellars, Neenah WI

dianimal likes this.
  16. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

There are places in MD that have cases of it, but a 4 pack is still like $8.50. That and Hoptimum are the only locally available beers I have seriously contemplated about buying a case of so far. More so with Bigfoot because I could age it forever.

FantomeOpera and mcaulifww like this.
  17. M_C_Hampton

M_C_Hampton Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2012 Georgia

BCBS and 5 Cantillion brews in Manchester UK, Sculpin IPA and Founders RIS in Charleston SC, Beverage World in Ft. O GA always has something random (this trip was Stone 17th and Fantome)

18. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (559) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

What wizardry is this

I barely got my hands on BCBS, and only through sheer luck and the kindness of a stranger did I chance upon this year's KBS

alex_hart likes this.
  19. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 New Jersey

When I was in Minneapolis they had a plethora of RuinTen, couple variants of Yeti I never see bottles of in Jersey.

20. victory4me

victory4me Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

One bottle of Westy 12... At a random beer spot in PA.

alex_hart likes this.
  21. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Florida

IF anyone in kentucky sees a rare on the shelf, please buy it and contact me ASAP, need to drink that again.

DrinkingCraft likes this.
  22. volta

volta Aspirant (264) Dec 21, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

Cantillon St. Lamvinus...... and it was $17

alex_hart, cnbrown313 and dianimal like this.
  23. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (3,321) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Found a Lou Pepe Kriek in Indiana on the shelf this summer!:sunglasses:

cnbrown313 and Stevedore like this.
  24. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

How much do you want for the FW?

25. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

How does such a place get this high end beer?

26. retry4z

retry4z Zealot (522) Dec 24, 2012 California

27. jdmandel

jdmandel Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 California

I was pretty excited to see about a case worth of Uncle Jacob's Stout at my local BevMo, of all places. Picked up a couple bottles.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  28. GuinnessAtRogerWilco

GuinnessAtRogerWilco Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2013 New Jersey

I'm have them priced at $19.99. Still have 20 bottles available.

gillagorilla likes this.
  29. DHS1029

DHS1029 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois

This wasn't at a store, but last Friday I had dinner at a restaurant in Evanston (Where Northwestern University is located for those not from Chicago) that was serving Three Floyds Dreadnaught on tap. I have NEVER seen Dreadnaught on tap except for at the brewery itself. Of course I made sure to take advantage of this situation.

30. BadJustin

BadJustin Initiate (0) Dec 18, 2010 New York

always slews of sought after releases sit atound up here in rural Upstate ny, still Parabola and Abacus, FBS from last year the list goes on and on.

31. SadMachine

SadMachine Poo-Bah (2,445) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey
    Society Trader

See in NJ (at least my area of NJ) nothing limited/rare actually goes on shelves... It's all stored in back rooms/locked closets, and you need to ask specifically for that beer and hope that you're in the good graces of the beer manager... Also you generally have to do this within the first couple days of said beer coming in from the distributor (or in some cases within hours... I'm looking at you Mango Magnifico!)... Such is the life of a NJ BA =/

32. SadMachine

Society Trader

Waaaattttt?! Send some my way please!!

33. ExaltedNecrosis

ExaltedNecrosis Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2012 Texas

I randomly found about 8 bottles of Love Child #3 on the shelf in south Texas. Too bad I could only afford one

dianimal and Sunn like this.
  34. Sunn

Not exactly sure to be honest with you. I talked to one of the employees when I picked up my first 4-pack of KBS and he said the owner had a really good connection with Founders. That's really all I know. The owner's an old homebrewer so I'm guessing he's just established a good report with certain breweries over the years. He must have had the KBS hidden for years because it was covered in dust and cobwebs on the shelves.

It's a neat place, but kind of odd. The only Bells beer they have regularly is Two Hearted, but they somehow get Hopslam, and that was the only beer I've seen there that flew off the shelves. It used to be an old auto-body shop so they have a drive-thru, and it's WAY busier than the store ever is, which could be another reason why a lot of the high-end beers get overlooked since most customers never actually go into the store.

JEALOUS. I went into a beer store a couple months ago just to find that beer. I saw one bottle left and the fucking guy who came in before me grabbed it. Ruined my damn day, that's for sure.

willbm3 likes this.
  35. SadMachine

Society Trader

What... is it??

36. volta

volta Aspirant (264) Dec 21, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

37. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

38. SadMachine

Society Trader

Why is your store an hour and 45min away from me? =(

39. SadMachine

Society Trader

40. N17shelfside

N17shelfside Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 California

I went to the Alchemist cannery on a wednesday afternoon and they still had some.

digdug1810 and shutyourface like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.