Best undiscovered brewery and why you love it

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FoamInnovation, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 Washington

Mine is 5 Stones Craft Brewing in Cibolo, Texas
    Seth Weatherly has created some amazing flavor combinations, using locally available produce, handled personally by his family and friends to produce some of the most original and well made beers I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. Add to that his drive to make absolutely certain that every single bottle of beer on the shelf is fresh and perfect and you have the ideal combination of conscientiousness, art and vision in these beers.
    Aloha Pina
    Norma Jeane
    Manmosa
    Flower Child
    Toby G's
    Camo
    Merry Christmas
    Sleepy Hollow
    Zero Anniversary (retired)

Karibourgeois likes this.
  2. NeidhartVonReuenthal

NeidhartVonReuenthal Initiate (53) Oct 2, 2012 Virginia

Port City in Alexandria, VA. Their Porter is terrific.

3. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Initiate (0) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

No such thing. If a brewery makes good/great beer, then they're known/popular.

craigo19, yemenmocha, rather and 2 others like this.
  4. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,110) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

Brauerei Schmitt in the tiny village of Singen, Thuringia. Because it brews one of the best pilsners in the world.

[​IMG]

Kurmaraja, Keene, yemenmocha and 4 others like this.
  5. BurpingtonDC

BurpingtonDC Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Maryland

Port City does indeed make an excellent Porter, and while we're talking about Virginia breweries DO NOT forget about Devils Backbone and their most excellent Vienna Lager. Their entire roster of brews are worth noting. Baltimore's Union Brewery makes a great Rye ale as well

ArlVABeerGuy likes this.
  6. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,262) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

Heard of & drank Devil's Backbone, so I'm not sure how under the RADAR they are...

7. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,262) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Trader

I submit three for your iteration: Fossil Cove from Arkansas, Piney River Brewing CO & White River Brewing from Missouri...

I have not had a bad or even mediocre from any of these 3. They are not doing anything too crazy, which means they are staying true to the styles they are attempting.

klittle250 likes this.
  8. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Not undiscovered, but my most underrated would be Jackie O's in Athens, Ohio. World-class sours and stouts... they're going to blow up.

9. ponderous

ponderous Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2014 California

Loomis Basin Brewery, in Loomis, CA. It's undiscovered and might remain so because Loomis is something of a one-horse town and I can't imagine the brewery getting much traffic as a result, but I think they've started distributing to local supermarkets and hopefully that gains them traction. Really phenomenal stuff for an upstart brewery, I think. Their barrel aged porter's one of the best beers I've ever had.

TwoBeers likes this.
  10. JavaNoire

JavaNoire Disciple (396) Dec 4, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Think Decorah Iowa...

11. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (575) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

The Devil's Trumpet. I have been impressed by them at beer festivals but they didn't have their own brewery so they didn't have a large amount of product to get the hype train going. They open shop this Saturday in Merrillville, IN at noon and I will try to be enjoying their beer by 12:01 pm.

I would also say 18th Street brewing in Gary (Miller Beach), IN. I don't know if they are really undiscovered since Drew Fox won best new brewer for Indiana a year ago and they seem to be garnering a lot of local attention.

#11 lucasj82, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    antoines15 and ja1022 like this.
  12. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Tempest Brewing Co in the Scottish Borders. A perfect example of a brewer who respects tradition while embracing the new. And they do it with style and substance without idiotic marketing and gimmicks.
    They've been brewing since 2010 but are still relatively unknown outside of Caledonia. I'm wondering how long that's going to last.

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  13. pwoody11

pwoody11 Zealot (514) Nov 23, 2009 Delaware

They are rated a 98 and nearly all of thier beers are at 4 or above.

5thOhio likes this.
  14. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,409) Oct 24, 2010 California

Mm, #oxymoron anyone? Hey, someone had to say it.

Strongly disagree, for two reasons. First, all breweries start somewhere—even Hill Farmstead was pretty low on people's radars for a while. And second, the "Field of Dreams" principle does not necessarily apply in the market economy today. It's because supply/availability, quality (in the form of consistency for the purposes of this conversation), and marketing are all crucial in what is an increasingly saturated market. At least, that's what I think about it.

Beervana, peteboiler, timotao and 7 others like this.
  15. DVMin98

DVMin98 Poo-Bah (3,091) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Modern Times in San Diego...their Fortunate Island and Blazing World are amazing. Wish I could get hold of some of their Oneida, but being in NC, no luck!

16. barroomhero1977

barroomhero1977 Initiate (167) Nov 2, 2010 Rhode Island

Beer'd Brewing in Stonington Connecticutt because they make some of the best IPA's I have had. Just awesome stuff at a tiny little brewery.

PicoPapa, jefffalcone and Csparks33 like this.
  17. ConradKenney

ConradKenney Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Maryland

Union Craft is awesome. Duckpin Pale Ale is a go to for me, and their Old Pro Gose is fantastic as well. Double Duckpin, Anthem, etc. are all solid.

Also awesome from MD: Eastern Shore Brewing Company in St. Michaels. Their Hefeweizen (Magic), Tripel (5 Year Twitch), and Porter (Duck Duck Goose) are fantastic, and their St. Michaels Ale (amber) is definitely crushable. Only available on draft/growler fills.

18. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2010 New York

Bitter Old Fecker. They are most certainly nano, but make some of the best and most exciting beers we've had in years.

JDD419 and fmccormi like this.
  19. OPJohn

OPJohn Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 Florida

Pinglehead brewing. Pretty much everything they make is solid.

Green Room brewing. Same reasons.

Lochnessmonster likes this.
  20. rozzom

rozzom Champion (832) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

yeah I picked up a few bottles when I was back in Scotland over Christmas - good stuff!

edit - and to answer the question - other half in NYC is still relatively under the radar, but that is changing quickly

Zimbo likes this.
  21. RichD

RichD Crusader (787) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

It was Tree House. Thanks guys...

22. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (409) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Emmett's Brewing Company

Billet and steveh like this.
  23. Karibourgeois

Karibourgeois Poo-Bah (2,092) Jul 28, 2013 Texas

Will second 5 Stones. Love the beer being made there. Norma Jeane was amazing as well as Camo and Toby G's.

24. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

Ellicottville is just coming into their own. Their flagshgip IPA stainless steel obsession is very good. So far the beer I have tried from them has all been great and I just had their Mow Master's Ultra Pale Ale. It is the "session IPA" that I like best. Who would have thought?

peteboiler likes this.
  25. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (837) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'll mention Roundabout Brewing in Pittsburgh, PA. I don't even think they've been opened for 9 months yet. Their Pacific Ring IPA is beautifully delicate and flavorful. Very nice display of Nelson Sauvin hops.

26. Troegman

Troegman Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2007 Pennsylvania

I just discovered Happy Valley Brewing in State College PA. Their double IPA, La Monster is excellent. Up there with the best of em. Plenty of other great beers too.

27. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (7,121) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Trader

They're becoming more well known in the state, but Peekskill Brewery is the real deal. Making the best IPAs in New York that I've tried (I've heard Other Half is making waves too, but I have not had the pleasure). I don't know if people outside the state know much about them. The former Ithaca head brewer, Jeff "Chief" O'Neill, is their head brewer, and he is just absurdly talented, and making some really creative and thoughtful beers. Higher Standard does exactly that- it set the highest standard for NY IPAs for me.

For even more under the radar, the best new brewery in the Finger Lakes region is Abandon Brewing. Most of their beers have some sort of a "farmhouse" twist to them, and their flagship IPA is stupid delicious- perfect cross between an IPA and a saison. They seem to have a lot of creativity, and a lot of potential to do a lot more.

28. csoult

csoult Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

I agree they have good beer, but for my money go down the road to "The Gamble Mill" in Bellefonte, their Pig Iron IPA is fantastic.

29. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (7,121) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Trader

Yeah, this is kind of a dumb post. There are tons of great breweries that are only really known in their small little bubbles. All good breweries start this way- there are tons of breweries that will next year be like Side Project, DeGarde, Tree House, SARA, etc- the hot new thing.

Ilovelampandbeer and beertunes like this.
  30. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

Not what I mean. I mean that at their releases, only about 200 people show up. They're rated high, but they're not rated much at all.

31. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

Unless they're brand spakin' new, like Lake Monster in Minnesota. Empty Rowboat IPA rivals the best that I've had. It's amazing.

32. shadyside

shadyside Defender (608) Feb 27, 2011 Georgia
    Society

Southbound - Savannah, GA. Opened a little over 1 year.

josmickam likes this.
  33. anthonypw

anthonypw Initiate (0) May 30, 2008 Pennsylvania

Rushing Duck in the Hudson Valley area of NY state. Predominantly draft so tough to trade around, but doing some great beers. Coming up on the 2 year mark, going into NYC in the near future. When that happens, word will spread.

DrStiffington likes this.
  34. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,027) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois

Triptych in Savoy, IL

35. NCMonte

NCMonte Aspirant (239) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Easy, Burial Brewing, amazing what he puts out with an ity bity operation. Basically a few steps above a home brewer. Tasty stuff.

Not sure its "undiscovered" but it is hard to find and very small.

cbhuffman, surfcaster and craigo19 like this.
  36. pwoody11

pwoody11 Zealot (514) Nov 23, 2009 Delaware

That's all that should show up! Their releases are around 400 bottles. Anyone else who comes isn't getting any. 200 is pretty big. Maybe like DLD or Huna, but Tired Hands is around that, Troegs was close to that, Castleton is close as well. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but Jackie O's is far from unheard of or underated. Been in business for a decade man.

37. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

I think the best answer would be a brewery that has yet to open. After all, if one person knows about it, it's discovered.

5thOhio and beertunes like this.
  38. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,339) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

North Brewery in Endicott, NY is doing some great things. Draft only as of right now, but the beers I've had from them so far are really good.

TheHumanTorch and utopiajane like this.
  39. SouthAtholSuds

SouthAtholSuds Initiate (146) Nov 3, 2008 Massachusetts

Marshall Wharf brewery in Belfast Maine. I hear little to nothing about these guys on here and they make some great beer. They usually have about 17 to 18 beers on tap at anytime and the brewpub is right on the bay with a beer garden. The seats are made from old school bus seats and there is a huge chimena where they split and burn logs in the evening. It's essentially perfect in my opinion. Oh and Cant Dog Double IPA is amazing!

Highlanduh and craft_shannie like this.
  40. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2011 Massachusetts

There's three nano-breweries near me: Bog Iron, Goodfellow's and Berkley that are all doing some awesome stuff. Berkley just started barrel-aging, and the first one was insanely good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.