Best weekend to visit Bend

Discussion in 'US - West' started by jpbebeau, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpbebeau

jpbebeau (0) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

I haven't been to Bend. (I know.)
    I'm planning on visiting for a couple nights this summer.
    Just wondering from those of you who know: Is there a best weekend to visit Bend this summer?

Edited: for events, beer releases, music, hiking, busy-ness (or lackthereof)?

2. bifrost17

bifrost17 (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

I went down last year the same weekend as the bend brewers fest, didn't even realize until I got there. I can't remember exactly when it was, but it was awesome because the breweries had on some cool stuff since the event was going on that weekend. I didn't go to the actual festival, but I drank some crazy ass barrel aged stuff from Boneyard. I'd also just say that I think ANY weekend is a good weekend to visit that amazing city.

jpbebeau and flexabull like this.
  3. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,930) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

The easy, an obvious, answer is any weekend. But, a lot depends on what non-beer stuff you want to do. The basic outdoorsy stuff (biking, hiking, rafting/tubing etc) is good any time but there are special events that bring in people. I recently saw an ad for a bike ride that goes from Black Butte to Mirror Pond, http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/black-butte-mirror-pond-bike-ride , if that interests you. If you like baseball Bend has a team in the college level West Coast League: http://www.wccbl.com/about.php? . You'll have a great time, no matter when you go, have a great trip!

jpbebeau likes this.
  4. flexabull

flexabull (0) Mar 9, 2006 California
    Society

I like going in mid August when the Brewfest is going on. I think Labor Day weekend is the Little Woody Fest which would probably be awesome too.

jpbebeau likes this.
  5. distantmantra

distantmantra (745) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

Best weekend to go is when I'll be there. I'll get you the hook up. :wink:

My parents went to Little Woody last year, they said it was awesome. Also, one of my friends that you know went to Brewfest and said it was pretty damn amazing. You couldn't go wrong with either of those weekends.

flexabull and jpbebeau like this.
  6. jpbebeau

Thanks, everybody, great suggestions so far. It won't be all beer, all the time, as my wife and daughter will be along as well.

7. distantmantra

Trader

The High Desert Museum is pretty cool, your daughter might like it. Not a very far drive outside town.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  8. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck (0) Jun 23, 2009 Washington

Just a heads up. I am going down the weekend of August 31/September 1st for the Sunriver for a Cause marathon. I know Sunriver is just outside Bend but I am sure a lot of folks will be staying in Bend. Might be a busy weekend around town, if you don't like crowds.

9. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,930) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Yeah, HDM is pretty cool: http://www.highdesertmuseum.org/

jpbebeau likes this.
  10. jpbebeau

Darn, looks like Little Woody is that same weekend. Hmmm

11. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss (0) Aug 19, 2009 Oregon

jpbebeau likes this.
  12. distantmantra

Trader

Also, Sigur Ros is playing May 26th.

I'll be in Bend for the Memorial Day weekend, actually.

flexabull, jpbebeau and Kopfschuss like this.
  13. msubulldog25

msubulldog25 (0) Aug 3, 2005 Oregon
    Deactivated

Our last trip to Bend was Memorial Day weekend 2012 (saw The Shins/The Head & The Heart/Blind Pilot one night, then Tenacious D the next --- talk about 2 very different shows :slight_smile:). I concur that Memorial Day is a very good time to go, but weather was a little cool & cloudy so the outdoor shows meant for a couple of pretty cold nights. As for beers, we enjoyed a stop at Boneyard (a couple blocks from McMenamins St Francis where we stayed), and 10 Barrel, Bend Brewing, Silver Moon, the Bond St Deschutes & Brother John's the following day. Also a place called Chow for a very filling breakfast...

I'm gonna say it's a toss-up between Memorial Day and Bend Brewfest in August as far as a 'best weekend'... but August will definitely be warm and dry, unlike late May...

14. flexabull

flexabull (0) Mar 9, 2006 California
    Society

That would be an amazing show. And that's another nice thing about Bend, great concerts at their excellent amphitheater.

My brother is heading up to Bend tomorrow, I gave him 2 empty growlers to fill. :slight_smile:

And yet another awesome thing about Bend, all the growler fill places that are opening up, what do they have 7 or 8 now?!

15. distantmantra

Trader

I was there last Memorial Day as well. Hit up 10 Barrel, Boneyard, Bend Brewing, Silver Moon and did dinner at the Blacksmith, but we spent a lot of time helping set things up over at Crux. If anyone saw some guys transporting large fermenters across town on a flat bed truck, that was me.

16. dirtylou

dirtylou (0) May 12, 2005 Washington
    Society Trader

If only I wasnt heading to Denver that weekend. I got pretty excited when I saw Sigur Ros was playing in Bend, but then I looked at my calendar :slight_frown:

17. ramnuts

ramnuts (0) Feb 16, 2009 Oregon

I will be there the week of the 25th with some visiting Brits in tow. Am sorry to see that it might be a crowded weekend in Deschutes County. On the plus side, the brewpubs, themselves, might be thinly attended if there are other distractions going on....:wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.