Best yeast for 100% Brett beer.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by yinzer, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinzer

yinzer Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

So what yest would be the closest to 100% Brett? I assume that it's WLP644.

Which brings me to my real question. Which yeast will lean towards a less acidic Lambic? WildBrews #3278 or #655.

I have two vials of WLP644. I want to experiment with pure and mixed Brett fermentations for standard ales. But while I don't think that the WLP644 would make the Lambic that I want too, it might be a good counter-part to other pitches for the a la carte approach. But I want to save them.

Also to make a Lambic less acidic, what about my process? I know Cantillion has does a few things like limit oxygen exposure. Any other suggestions? I do plan on doing a turbid mash.

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,840) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I may not know anything about this... but I thought the way to make a less acidic lambic was to make a geuze. Blending to taste seems like the most reliable way to find the level of acidity you are after.

3. jamescain

jamescain Champion (858) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

If you're doing 100% brett it probably wont be acidic at all since brett on its own doesn't produce much acid. If you're looking for acid production you need lacto and pedio. Does WLP644 contain bacteria or is it just brett-L? As far as I know the only way Cantillion limits the acidity of their beers is be blending.

4. ryane

ryane Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2007 Washington

For me it would be wyeast brett B, or L (L needs some acid to be truly great), but not white labs strains. the white labs strains are especially horsey/fecal/funky

for a less sour lambic, pitch an ale yeast first and then the blends, but like pweiss said the only way to make a truly great sour beer is to blend

5. yinzer

Yes, about doing 100% Brett. That's if I start w/a 100% Brett yeast. I don't think 644 has bacteria, not 100% on that though. As far as the

Does blending reduce acidity? You can blend a more acidic beer with a less acidic beer, but you need a less acidic beer to do that. As I understand it at that level it's pretty much just depends on how each cask has matured.

Jean van Roy has done steps other than blending to reduce acidity. IIRC he doesn't leave the wort in the fermenter as long as his dad did. And a few other minor things. I said that I was doing a turbid mash, so might might be one part of the process to look at. Maybe not too long of an acid rest.

6. yinzer

Just a note: I've found some Gueuze to be very over the top acidic and some like 3F to be very balanced with almost a sweet finish. I've had unblended Labic from Lindemans, De Cam and Cantillon. I found none of those to be acidic.

Since this will my first stab at Lambic or any sour, I'll make mistakes. I'm reading as much as I can and probably too much. I'll be doing a few things without the complete of understanding of why I'm doing it. Acidity from when I have read is something that comes from few sources.

Sorry but exactly which WYeasts are you talking about? As a side note I plan on making maybe five Lambic worts a year. Each with a different approach. Hopefully they will all have some redeeming values so that I can blend them.

3278 - Belgian Lambic Blend™ & 3763 - Roeselare Ale Blend, these seem to be a complete package that I could choose from. 5112 - Brettanomyces bruxellensis™, 5335™ - Lactobacillus, 5526 - Brettanomyces lambicus™ and 5733 - Pediococcus™ seem to be to only used as additions.

Is 3278 brett B? Is 5526 brettL?

3278 seems like the logical choice for the first batch. Then try some hybrids.

7. ryane

5112 is Brux
    5526 is lambicus

3278 is lambic
    3763 is roeselare

only the first 2 are brett only, the last two are a lambic and F red blend respectively. The last two blends are essentially the same thing with different proportions of bugs. FWIW roeselare comes out a bit cleaner than the lambic blend.

In general though all WYeast brett/sour blends are far more fruity than White labs equivalent. While labs brett/sour blends are far far more horsey/fecal/goaty/funky than wyeast

5 lambics a year at 5gal each? thats quite a bit of lambic beer to drink each year, the first year you wont have much but from the 2nd year onwards your gonna have a ton of beer to drink.

billandsuz likes this.
  8. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Disciple (334) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

Maybe I'm missing something. Wouldn't the best yeast for a 100% Brett beer be Brett?

9. yinzer

ryane,

Thanks.

I got out the Chad Yakobson presentation and looked up the Brett strains. I'm guess that I'm a bit confused by the nomenclature. Maybe it's the transition from the names chosen to the name of the species. Or something like that. Or maybe I don't understand what a species is. I need to listen to the pod-cast again.

From the slides: Brettanomyces lambicus has since been reclassified as a B. bruxellensis and B. claussenii as B. anomalus. So 5526 is three species?

I do see a Brettanomyces bruxellensis. It's listed as a single speices. But what has me confused is the name of WLP 644 - Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois. Doesn't "trois" mean three?

So yes I see that all of the above isl Brett. 5526 would be three strains , but what about 5112 and 644? Is 5112 and 644 the same?

White Labs vs WYeast: I remember Oude Beersel being very horsey/cheesy before it ended and was revived. Maybe I could play around with a mix to see what happens.

Yes, I guess that I'll have a lot of beer to play with. But this all had me a bit spooked. I'll be happy if just one batch a year turns out drinkable. A lot of people have tried this with very mixed results.

10. yinzer

Yes, ryane has confirmed which are the 100% brett pitches. So I'm saving the WLP644 and getting either 3278 or
    3763 for my first lambic. Then start to do hybrids pitches.

11. ororke5000

ororke5000 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Ohio

to the OP, i realize it would not be 100% brett, but wyeast released their Orval yeast again this summer. i made a great beer with it a year ago and right now the bottles are really starting to shine, low acidy (though still present) and some tropical fruit (mango, papaya and some orange).

i aged it for about 3/4 months in secondary, the last 2 weeks with dry hops. bottled with a little champagne yeast, but it still took about 5 months to get any carbonation, and it is still low compared to Orval, but like i said drinking really well right now.

think i might make it again this fall, this time i might not transfer to secondary and see if i get any different results.

12. ryane

there are many many strains of brett the names given by wyeast do not necessarily designate what it truly is. using sacch as an example, think how many different strains we have, london ale, chico, saison, etc, etc, the same is true for brett

while many of the sacch strains are comparable between WY/WL, unfortunately the brett strains are not, so whats labeled L from WY isnt necessarily the same yeast as the WL version

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.