Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

BIAB Water Calculator

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hopsandmalt, Jan 5, 2013.

1. hopsandmalt

I'm brewing my first BIAB attempt this weekend and I was wondering if anyone has a simple calculation for water volume (or can point me toward a tried & true online calculator).

It is a 3 gallon batch with 5.5 lbs of grain.

2. Travisurfin247

Assuming no-sparge BIAB:
    Total water volume = final batch size + trub/hop loss + boil off loss + grain absorption

I've seen some recommendations in other forums about estimating a range of 0.06 to 0.10 gallons per pound of grains for the grain absorption, depending on how much you plan on squeezing the grain bag after the mash. So for your batch, a grain absorption estimate could be 0.08 gal/lb X 5.5 lb = 0.44 gallons. (Used 0.08 in example as a middle of range value). So, about a half gallon there.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of variables unique to your own brewing setup, so some trial and error is involved. You have to best-guess boil off loss, which is unique to your kettle dimensions and how high you crank the heat. Even weather/wind can affect it if you brew outside. Hopefully you have an idea of this value from previous batches of extract or partial mash brews. I normally lose about a gallon during a 60 min boil on my propane burner for 5 gallon batches. Trub loss also varies among batches, so you have to guess this also, or just ignore it (in other words, decide if you want 3 gallons of actual finished beer to drink after trub settles, or simply 3 gallons into the fermenter post-boil).

Take good notes and volume measurements during your first few BIAB batches, then you should be able to nail a good starting water volume every time for your setup.

3. jmich24

4. koopa

Beer Trader

I used to "Squeeze the bag" to reclaim as much wort as possible when I was no sparge BIAB brewing and I would leave about 0.05 - 0.07 gallons per pound of grain behind on average.

5. hopsandmalt

Cool, I have run across this one amongst others when searching for a calculator and I just wanted someone who had used one with good results to weigh in on it's reliability.

As far as the rest is concerned, I don't think I'll be doing a ton of BIAB in the future so I'm not too worried about perfecting the process. I'm an all grain brewer from way back. I'm just looking for an easy way to make a giant starter for a big ol' bock I'm going to brew in a few weeks.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe