1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Big Bourbon County Stout Tasting - food advice?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by t8000shx, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t8000shx

t8000shx Initiate (184) Mar 2, 2004 New York

So I'm hosting a tasting - all BCS vintages (barring '03... I had to give up on that) and all variants. Everything from 2005 onward. I'm not concerned about the volume or tastebud burnout - there are quite a few of us involved, and we've blocked off essentially a 12 hour window of time. And hey, if we don't finish, we don't finish.

But quick question regarding food - for folks who have done these sort of large scale vintage tastings, what did you eat? I'm trying to find the intersection of food we like, food that won't screw up tastebuds, and food that will help absorb the alcohol a bit. Basic crackers/nuts are a given, but anyone have some advice on other foods that got the job done without messing up the main event?

2. WankelEngine

WankelEngine Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2011 Illinois

One thing that I found that's really good is making Crostini. Small slice of toasted french bread, a chuck of lean steak and a little blue cheese + sauteed onions. Makes delicious, filling finger food. Pretty easy to put together but big payout. Omit the blue cheese if you're worried about the oils affecting your taste.

Also, Bruschetta, for many of the same reasons above.

#2 WankelEngine, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  3. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,345) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

BCBS is such a huge beer that its more of a dessert beer or its best paired with really flavorful food.

Some of my favorites that pair very nicely with BCBS would be steak and anything chocolate. It sounds like you are looking for more snacky type foods, so... cocktail weiners, crackers, cheese, etc.

4. t8000shx

t8000shx Initiate (184) Mar 2, 2004 New York

Right - not looking so much for pairing foods, more for foods that will sit in the background for those of us who want to go nuts comparing/contrasting the various beers without much interference from other flavors.

That said, I'll probably have some chocolate and a couple stinkier cheeses on hand for those who feel like messing around with pairing.

5. mdomask

mdomask Aspirant (208) May 27, 2012 Illinois

I'm doing the same thing in a couple weeks, and I've done one before.

BCBS has a lot of complexity. You really want to avoid strong flavors. So, spicy is out. Garlic is out. Sharp cheeses - like blue cheese - are out.

Pretzels always work for snacks. Creamy cheeses work well... think brie, especially with a compote or jam to accompany it. You can also go the salty cheese route, since that contrasts with the sweetness nicely. Crudites work well, but may not be the best on the absorbing alcohol level. Various low-key meats would be good, too, especially if they involve beef.

And you could just go full out sweet with cakes, cookies, brownies, etc.

Honestly, we used the Sisters as palette cleansers between rounds and after the meal. You could also try ginger soda, which GI happens to make :wink:

FBarber likes this.
  6. brywhite

brywhite Meyvn (1,196) Aug 27, 2009 California

Anything sweet, sour (acid), salty, bitter, savory (umami), high in essential oils (like peppers, ginger, mustard, onions, garlic, etc.) or astringency due to tannins will alter your taste perception and screw up the tasting...
    So go for some bland foods if you wish to judge the subtlety of the different vintages.

If on the other hand you just want to enjoy the bounty of BCBS, maybe a pan seared / oven roasted filet mignon with a glaze of 2013 BCBS and butter would be good. Preheat oven to 450. Season both sides of the beef with salt/pepper. Get a cast iron skillet real hot, add about 1/3 stick of butter which will immediately start to brown. Pour a little BCBS in there (not too much you don't want the steak to be swimming in liquid - the goal is to start a caramel reaction going with the stout & butter) & let it sizzle. Now add your filets. Let the first side sear for 3 minutes and flip. Once flipped, use a spoon to baste the buttery BCBS stuff over the top of the seared filets. Add more BCBS and butter if you like and continue to baste/spoon over the top of the filets for 3 minutes. It's okay to lift the filet from underneath and let some of the BCBS butter get on the bottom side that's searing. Place in oven for 4 more minutes. Let rest for a few more minutes before serving. Depending on thickness this should produce a medium rare filet on a 2" thick filet. So.. adjust times for thickness.

When you pull the steaks out of the oven & they've rested, you can spoon more of that BCBS butter over the top and serve.

I'd say skip the greens maybe add a buttery good baked potato without the sour cream and simple vanilla gelato for desert.

Just an idea.

7. Cotchept

Cotchept Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2013 Colorado

Samoa Girl Scout Cookies. tried them with a bcbs a few days ago and it was amazing. the chocolate and coconut paired perfectly. you can make your own too.

8. jamis

jamis Initiate (157) Nov 30, 2008 Massachusetts

I discovered this weekend that Cadbury Mini Eggs pair really well with BCBS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.