Big, delicious shareable (or not) stouts

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by mrmattosgood, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (277) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

Not sure if it's totally allowed to post about a non-InBev stout or beer that isn't an IPA, but what the heck.

Just picked up a 750 of You Should Try My Stout by CBC. Recently, I've loved Muerte. Getting excited about opening a bottle of Introspection. I love good, high ABV stouts to drink around the holidays, to share, or not to share with the loved ones with whom we surround ourselves.

What are your go to big imperial stouts (barleywines and quads welcome too)? As these things go, I also have a birthday in January, plus New Years, and I like to stock up on these things.

Let's hear em!

2. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Grimm double negative and the BA version are nice. YEMS is a personal favorite.

3. Rysk22

Rysk22 Zealot (545) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

If we're talking easy to find in distro, I really love Ten Fidy and Old Rasputin. For great locals that can be a little tougher to find, you can't go wrong with Clown Shoes stouts, that's their bread and butter.

cosmicdebris likes this.
  4. BAMF

BAMF Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts

I really enjoyed Spectral Evidence from Mystic.

rhino88888888 likes this.
  5. mrmattosgood

Trader

Two good ones. Narwhal is really good too. Trying first to get some more local suggestions. I remember having a bunch of Tap's Joshua Norton on cask a few years ago and liking it. I just feel like I never see it at stores and I rarely head to their brewery.

6. jbarletto

jbarletto Disciple (348) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts

Big fan of BA Framinghammer and all of the variants.

For some readily available (albeit non-local) high abv options, I drink a lot of Maudite, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, and Great Divide Hibernation Ale this time of year.

BoldRulerVT likes this.
  7. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I liked You Enjoy my Stout a lot but by the end of the bottle I was finding it a bit too sweet. I'll make a point to share that one next time.

Jack's Abby Framinghammers would be my call for favorite local stuff.

And while not local and technically not a stout, Victory at Sea is another goto for high abv. It's strange that VAS is one of the best priced beers out there while their IPA lineup is amongst the worst.

8. AirBob

AirBob Crusader (713) Jul 15, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Brooklyn Black Chocolate is a great value. As noted above, YEMS and Clown Shoes (Undead Party Crasher is pretty easy to find) are excellent, local options. If you can find Barbapapa or Fumapapa before they're gone for good, pick them up. For quads, really been enjoying BA Prinsipia lately too.

9. mrmattosgood

Trader

This is worthy of mention. I love Baltic Porters (bummed I missed out on Fear and Trembling). Smuttynose does a really good one, too.

My only issue with the 750 or 22 format is that it's too big (sometimes). It's not like I'm not having two beers anyway, so maybe it's a weird point of contention, but I do tend to share those bottles more often that I would two 12 oz.

meefmoff likes this.
  10. Pwbres

Pwbres Aspirant (240) Mar 25, 2013 Maine

I enjoyed Introspection but the style missed with a lot of people. Could use some age. You could always go with BCBS too!!

11. cosmicdebris

cosmicdebris Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2008 Connecticut

Local to me Black Hog Barley Wine BA and regular, Thimble Island M.A.D. BA and regular.

Others not mentioned already Thirsty Dog Wulver and Siberian Night both BA and regular.

12. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Devotee (460) Jun 22, 2004 Massachusetts

Doesn't meet the big category but Aphrodisiaq or Peche Mortel are great fairly attainable stouts.

13. schinebd

schinebd Disciple (380) Feb 11, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Breakfast Exorcism from Clown Shoes

14. Gunboat82

Gunboat82 Initiate (149) Jul 3, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Breakfast Exorcism was very good, but I can't justify the price. I think Clown Shoes is tailored to the white-collar crowd, and my collar is more beige/ecru. I think Sunday Morning Stout was a great value when it was still kicking around.

15. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

9.5% isnt big anymore? Shit, I'm old.

jlordi12 and mrmattosgood like this.
  16. mrmattosgood

Trader

I call a beer big if it's more than 7%.

Sweatshirt likes this.
  17. ricknelson

ricknelson Devotee (445) Feb 20, 2010 Vermont

Old Rasputin for sure and Cadillac Mountain stout

18. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (960) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts

De Molen and Omnipollo makes really huge bold stouts. I've also seen lots of Cuvee Delphine just sitting around on shelves which is one of my favorite BA stouts. BCBS seems like a step backwards in comparison to these guys.

messrock likes this.
  19. Flashy

Flashy Devotee (486) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

Really liked this years BCBS, but it always amazes me that Speedway and Tenfidy sit on the shelves around here while people pass them up to look for whales.

20. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (127) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Only 6.9%, but El Lechedor by Night Shift is my favorite stout, period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.