Bissell Brothers

Discussion in 'New England' started by OnlyTheFinest, May 21, 2016.

1. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (306) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Sounds legit to me. Rec is damn good stuff.

DanSails likes this.
  2. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (406) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Fair enough, you could have worded in such a way that I would have read it differently

3. earljones199

earljones199 Zealot (520) Mar 22, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Is there a way to tell if cans are sold out, beyond going to the brewery?

4. DanSails

DanSails Initiate (165) Oct 3, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

No worries, I certainly agree that line cutting is not cool.

To add more #s detail instead of time, the line went from the entrance down the sidewalk to the end of the building, around the parked cars and beyond the entrance to the corner when we got there...a big U. As I said, we would have been barely shut out (definitely shut out if more people were buying max). Not sure of case count from release...

5. randytrevor

randytrevor Initiate (130) Nov 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thinking of heading up for the swish release tomorrow, when is a good time to show up for a minimal wait? Tree House lines are pretty easy to predict but it seems like BB lines are all over the place. Would also like to hit up foundation and get some epiphany.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

6. colby600

colby600 Aspirant (228) Mar 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I've been contemplating the exact same mission. I was thinking 8:30 at Bissell would get me out by 10:30. Head to Foundation for Epiphany. Just a guess.

Sip404 likes this.
  7. 7irondave

7irondave Disciple (301) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How's the line today?

8. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (539) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Wasn't checking the forum but FYI I arrived about 9:05 and was 50-60 in line at the rear loading dock. No snafus this morning, they were moving people through quickly. I was on the road by 10:15 or so.

Sip404 likes this.
  9. celfan

celfan Disciple (327) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Just got back from a Maine beer trip with friends- wonderful time. The people at the Maine (and a few New Hampshire) breweries couldn't have been nicer to us. I've been selling the New Hampshire breweries short - I really enjoyed Garrison and Stoneface.
    The highlight, as I expected, was Swish. In the running for the best DIPA I've had.

Maine just might have the best beer in the country. Will return soon.

Sip404 likes this.
  10. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Aspirant (213) Feb 5, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

New schedule should be released soon

11. 7irondave

Beer Trader

12. stevefenster

stevefenster Initiate (165) Mar 29, 2016 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Is ~8 AM still recommended for Swish days?

13. beanoboy7

beanoboy7 Aspirant (237) Jun 22, 2014 Connecticut

No. I've gone at 11. In and out

stevefenster likes this.
  14. stevefenster

Beer Trader

That is good to hear... not sure I'll be able to spend 2-3 hours in line during the last day of vacation next month, haha

15. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (144) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm going to Portland this weekend and i was wondering if people had any ideas on how quickly Umbra sells out. I'm planning on stopping at a bunch of breweries on my way, which all open at 12, so i'm hoping i can arrive late afternoon and still get some.

16. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (58) Nov 6, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I'm being lazy and not searching the threads for my specific question:

How much of each non-Substance beer is made? I am driving through Portland on the way home thursday (in Maine for work). Will Reciprocal be there still or just Substance? Trying to decide if I should hit BB or Foundation.

17. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Disciple (318) Jan 3, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Wednesday release with no holidays or vacations, should be cans until mid afternoon I'd guess, check their twitter. Foundation will have a ton more options though, unless your just looking for an IPA.

18. gruffyboy

gruffyboy Initiate (136) Oct 10, 2014 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I think for the last couple of releases it has lasted until the day following release

19. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (58) Nov 6, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Yeah, that's what I've determined, too. Industrial Way is never a bad stop.

20. -TK421-

-TK421- Initiate (146) Jun 4, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

i just want to pop into this thread to say i had Swish for the first time this weekend and it was amazing :slight_smile:

i need to find more soon

21. Jbrews

Hey guys,

Quick question for you all.

We went to a few Swish releases recently but always went early and did the wait. What we noticed was eventually(even on the Xmas release week) the line would end and you could virtually wait out the line and jump back in for more. It literally emptied out. What I am implying is that the cases were not sold out by the initial rush, by a long shot and last well over an hour probably into the noon time frame.

My question is if that has been the norm the last couple of releases. We don't have the option to be early for this one and might be closer to a 10:30 or 11AM arrival. Considering the cold I'm fine with that too. Has it lasted a little while after the initial rush? We will most likely go either way and if we're skunked we're stoked on some pours and grabbing lunch in town.

I tried to read back but a lot of focus is on what time to arrive and how quickly they were out.

Thanks!

22. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Disciple (318) Jan 3, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Recently I have been able to leave my house at 10 and make the 1hr drive and get Swish. But the last time I went there was snow in the forecast, as the days get better the line worsens.

Sip404 likes this.
  23. randytrevor

randytrevor Initiate (130) Nov 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Went to BB for the first time today....Got there around 9:30 and was one of the last people to fit in the building( was out by 10:15). Not sure if it's typical to let folks in the building early but it was greatly appreciated....Cause it was freaking cold!!!. Probably could have fit everyone in if it was organized better, and nor even close to Treehouse level of efficiency, but a pleasant experience overall

7irondave likes this.
  24. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (104) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A hilarious day at Thomson point today. Was part of the gang out back freezing our asses off in literal 2 degree weather with wind coming off the ocean. We were all asking ourselves why the fuck we're doing this. Got there at 930 out by 10:05. I guess the cold kept all but the insane away. I unfortunately lost my mule due to extreme cold.

Swish tasting a little green but still really good.

All in all a great time to hit Portland. Grabbed some coolship, some epiphany, a new oxbow barrel beer, and some swish.

7irondave likes this.
  25. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (539) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Before I got to my first release a few weeks ago I only had a can at a time, but can say with tasting several over the past few weeks that my can from Friday night tasted the best. So 2 weeks out at the least is my sweet spot. We'll see how the rest go...

26. Matted24

Matted24 Initiate (135) Jun 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Went to the release on Saturday and thought it was a breeze. Got there at 10:00, had no issues parking, and was on the road with my full allotment by 10:30. It was cold as hell but damn Swish is worth it. Top 5 all timer for me.

7irondave likes this.
  27. stevefenster

Beer Trader

Just made my first trip from MN this past weekend, and I have nothing but the highest praise for this place. Reciprocal was one of the best beers I had on my entire week-long Northeast US beer tour. It appears that I did not need to stand outside for ~70 minutes in order to get my allotments of Swish and Substance, but really enjoyed chatting with some of the other people in line about New England beer in general (shout out to the couple from Albany behind me in line!). I'm super excited to share some of these goodies with my friends back in the Midwest, where we are a little starved for NE-style IPAs.

Shaymus and 7irondave like this.
  28. Cwaks

Cwaks Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Of all the breweries I've waiting in line at, the people in line at Bissell have been the best.

7irondave likes this.
  29. Jbrews

Looks like I FINALLY can make a Reciprocal release tomorrow. That one never seems to align for me.

I would figure being in line by 11:30 would do the trick correct? Hell I've been to Swish releases where you can walk in at 11 and walk out. But are the allotments much small for Rec?

Any help on this one is appreciated.

Thanks!

30. marcrgrenier

marcrgrenier Initiate (140) Apr 22, 2015 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

doubtful there will be any line at all. I'd think if you were there by 1 you'd be fine but getting there at 1130 won't hurt.

31. Jbrews

Yea, I wasn't too sure since people still do like to stock up on Subby each weekend.

I appreciate the response.

32. papposilenus

papposilenus Defender (640) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

I was there a half hour early on Wednesday for Swish and the line was about fifty people deep plus more out back. On the one hand, that was Swish but, on the other hand, it was the middle of the work week, too. Who can guess?

Check Twitter tonight and especially in the morning - they'll say how many cases they've got and whether they're selling out the back door (probably) which is always the faster line when the taps are open.

Good luck!

33. Jbrews

50 is nothing. I've been in line for swish with hundreds and counting cases until they turned people away. Weekdays are so much easier.

But the read on Recip and Subby is much harder to gauge.

34. uuudar

uuudar Initiate (193) Oct 19, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Rolled in at noon on Saturday to be greeted with a 45 minute line. Woof, wasn't expecting that, but it moved and the beer was great. It looked like cans ran out by 1:30 pm or so, so probably had to be in line by 12:45 or so.

35. steve_o4

steve_o4 Initiate (119) Dec 19, 2016 New Hampshire

We got there around 10 min to 2 and cans sold out with like 8 people in front of us. I wasn't getting cans, but felt bad for my buddies since it was their first time there.

36. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (397) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

PLanning heading up next week, then hitting Tribuary on the way back for Mott. My friend is in charge of the logistics, but kinda wondering when we'll need to get there to get Swish. Guessing from posts above we won't have to pull in at crack of dawn like some other releases (not necessarily BB) but don't want to wait too long.

37. Cwaks

Cwaks Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I went for the first time on 3/18. Got there about 9:00 and there were less than 20 people in the back like and we were like 40 or 50th in line. And by the time they opened they still had a good amount left. 9:00 was a great time to get in and out quickly, we wanted to hit the road. But you can probably show up later if you want to get your beer and stay and drink. But, as it warms up and they get closer to their last release that may change. But, much of the advice I read in the past few days said you didn't have to get there too early.

38. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Initiate (137) Feb 2, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Figured this would be the place for this Q&A that Peter did. Some interesting answers to a few of the questions

Michael_H and 7irondave like this.
  39. 7irondave

Beer Trader

"But I love a perfectly decanted Swish . . ."

You don't hear people talking about decanting IPAs much let alone the owner of Bissell

Michael_H and JrGtr like this.
  40. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (406) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

could anyone tell me what they charge for a 4 of Umbra? TIA

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.