Bissell Brothers

Discussion in 'New England' started by OnlyTheFinest, May 21, 2016.

1. cgdpt

cgdpt Initiate (115) Jun 24, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I plan to be in Portland on a Sunday, are cans of Substance typically available then?

2. cdilisio

cdilisio Initiate (29) Apr 18, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

Sometimes, but not this Sunday with the last swish release happening on Saturday.

3. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (294) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Bissell banned dogs permenantly. May 1

Even better are the posts from people saying ban the kids and the dogs.

Fuck the people posting about the kids. None would have the hangers to ever say something to their face.

Keep the poochies home though.

I'm sure another certain big MA brewery is next

4. DukeViking

DukeViking Aspirant (205) Apr 11, 2017 Florida
    Subscriber

Suarez just announced a ban on dogs as well.

bostonwolf likes this.
  5. Jbrews

The hits keep a comin

6. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (198) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Where all the anti-dogs people at? Figured there would be a party up in here by now

7. Jbrews

Go to their page and see comments.

8. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (140) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

is there a buttered popcorn beer, because i'd love to drink that while reading all the comments...or maybe i'll just make some regular popcorn

mmorris15 and Jbrews like this.
  9. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (381) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How's a typical Friday at BB when only Substance is available? Is it craziness or can I just show up in the afternoon and pick up some beer easily?

10. 7irondave

7irondave Aspirant (281) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Does anyone know if the expansion is in the warehouse across the driveway or in their current location?

Looks like they ripped out the bar in their taproom but I'm hoping they bought the building next to the dirt parking lot and have plans for that building too

11. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (170) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

12. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Aspirant (212) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Almost certainly a case of a few people spoiling for the rest of us.

13. kinopio

kinopio Disciple (323) Apr 30, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I go to Row 34 often, including events, and have never waited in a line. I can't imagine waiting in line for anything short of a Cantillon event since world class beer can be bought 30 feet away at Trillium with no wait.

14. Phineasco

Phineasco Disciple (336) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Other half event was a shit show. Lines and all the beer kicked in 45 minutes.

15. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (611) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Might be a bit better for this event according to the article...

'While reservations are filling up fast since the restaurant announced the event last week, “I don’t anticipate running out of beer quite as quickly as we have for other events since Bissell was generous,” Hays says. “However, I do believe the turnout will be pretty epic!”'

16. tylerk88

tylerk88 Aspirant (215) Nov 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Any idea how late one can show up today and still get cans?

17. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (221) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Hard to say with the MBC Dinner release. I'd err on the early side.

18. AlcahueteJ

Anyone head into Boston? How is it?

19. Phineasco

Beer Trader

It was a good event. I gotta few pours of the maple angel with filthy souls. Swish and industry vs inferiority kicked at 12.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

I strolled in there around 1:45 and Substance, Lux, BA Umbra, and Angel was left. My brother and roommate got a Substance, and I got a Lux. After we finished those, only the two dark beers were left, so I tried the Angel.

If I had had my crap together and got there earlier I could have tried more of their beers, so basically, not really a shit show. It was packed, but there was no line. They even opened up the back area to hang out in (no one was there though because there were no TVs and the Celtics were on).

That was good enough for me though. I had Swish/Inferiority on draft a few weeks ago at Bissell, Substance last week on draft in Portland, and I have Swish in my fridge. Never tried Lux, solid beer!

Phineasco and cdilisio like this.
  21. Phineasco

Beer Trader

According to row's site angels and ba umbra are still both on. Maple angels is really sweet, but it's very good.

22. cdilisio

Beer Trader

so sweet...

heard good things about the BA

23. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (145) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Damn, have a trip to the area in earlyish June. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to grab something

24. Rysk22

Beer Trader

If you'll be in the area for a few days you'll definitely be able to grab cans of Substance at the very least.

25. BababooeyHTJ

BababooeyHTJ Initiate (145) Mar 3, 2016 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

That would be nice. Only been once before. Little did I know at the time it was the initial nothing gold release. Just missed out on substance. I managed to grab a pint and loved it.

26. mhull

mhull Initiate (115) Apr 11, 2008 Massachusetts

What is everyone's thoughts on Nothing Gold? With Swish season behind us do these releases sell out in a similar fashion?

BababooeyHTJ likes this.
  27. cdilisio

Beer Trader

I would imagine, especially the first. I don't think they do double batches either.. could be wrong on that part though..

28. Rysk22

Beer Trader

Last year it was slightly less hyped than Swish, although I think it's better! Either way, it's definitely their most popular release of the summer season

29. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,417) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Hey guys, Ill be there on Memorial Day Friday and Saturday. What are the odds theyll be open?

Their facebook says TBD. Im scared ill be in town and wont get to try the one brewery Im most excited about.

30. mmorris15

mmorris15 Zealot (574) Dec 30, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

Yes, there is. Shipyard.

31. kuntmissioner

kuntmissioner Initiate (13) Jan 29, 2016 Massachusetts

Bissell is available in many Portland bars and restaurants. Even if the BB taproom is closed you'll be able to drink some of their beer.

papposilenus and cdilisio like this.
  32. Jbrews

Amazing how many people did not give a poo about having dogs in the brewery yesterday. Considering many of them knew exactly what they were there for, what to do, and speaking about other releases there is no way they didn't know. People can literally suck.

The lines were in waves at open which was fun to watch from up top. You could time when you wanted to grab a pour.

The maple porter is some damn good stuff. Anyone know when subby finally ran out on Saturday? They still had plenty when we left.

33. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (170) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

What are you taking about?

People "knew what to do" in regards to what?

34. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (232) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

From looking on their website I wasn't able to tell, what type of limits do they usually have? And do they tweet when they sell out or anything? I've got to drive to northern Maine for work and I'm thinking about hitting Bissell on the way home.

35. marcrgrenier

marcrgrenier Initiate (135) Apr 22, 2015 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Usually 3 4-packs of each variety that is available. If you are talking about going today, my guess since its reciprocal it will sell out by early to mid afternoon

Skwalk47 likes this.
  36. Jbrews

Exactly what I said. They knew they were getting into line(before open) to get cans of Lux and Substance. Don't shit me that the guy I overheard talking about living locally, who had his mutt with him at opening, did not know he couldn't bring it.

37. Whitesavage

Whitesavage Initiate (123) Oct 13, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

They sold out of reciprocal at 1330 don't know about substance. Quick sellout on a Wednesday IMO. you could have walked out with a full case.. 3-4pk of each.

38. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (232) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yea i was pretty disappointed there wasn't anything left when i passed through Portland late afternoon.

39. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Defender (691) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

40. Pabs10

Pabs10 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Anyone know around what time I should get Nothing Gold cans on 6/10 if I show up around 9 AM? Almost right at 10 or shortly thereafter within the realm of possibility? Gotta get to an event later that morning.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.