Bissell Brothers

Discussion in 'New England' started by OnlyTheFinest, May 21, 2016.

1. Hammerhead79

Hammerhead79 Disciple (313) Dec 4, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Strawberry and raspberries on the Seed 2016

NickBourne likes this.
  2. BierCellar

BierCellar Initiate (128) Apr 5, 2012 Maine

We've been seeing small drops of cans on Thursday lately. That is subject to change though, we post to social media when it hits each time.

eb1610 likes this.
  3. CamD

CamD Initiate (114) May 5, 2013 Spain

Quick question for you all -- will be headed up this Saturday to start a nice week vacation in Maine and will pass through Portland around 11am. As I wrote earlier, I would love to pick up some BB cans to take with me. Last year I did the same and was out of BB about 15 minutes after they opened, given the new location and the "seed" release this Saturday, should I expect much different? If there's no way to tell, then no problem! Thanks for all the help you all give on these boards...

4. Hammerhead79

Beer Trader

It has been a bit of a wait now up there. This Saturday will be the first time they bring back a cans only line which should speed things up a bit. I am not sure if there will be a cash only line like Industrial way days.

CamD likes this.
  5. CamD

CamD Initiate (114) May 5, 2013 Spain

Thanks so much for the response. Looks like I'll definitely stop by and see what it looks like.

6. Patrick1203

Patrick1203 Initiate (22) Feb 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

heading up to BBB tomorrow (Friday). saw that they released Baby Genius yesterday, there's no chance that lasts in cans until tomorrow, right? Anyone know?

7. Hammerhead79

Beer Trader

Im sure it was gone yesterday but they have some disto. I saw Mb&b had cans 2 4pack per person today.

Patrick1203 likes this.
  8. Jbrews

Jbrews Aspirant (288) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

9. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (192) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'm curious about Sleek Machine... I think it started as their green delivery van and maybe they sold it off to be run as a separate business?

10. jimmyfausto

jimmyfausto Initiate (126) Jul 28, 2014 Massachusetts

It was in fact the Green Bastard. The quote in the article by Peter makes it pretty clear they will be close partners.

From a recent BA article:
    His first account? Bissell Brothers, which has now surpassed Maine’s production cap on self-distribution. Though for legal reasons a distributor needs to be a company independent of a brewery, it’s clear the brothers feel more than a little sense of ownership over Sleek Machine.​

Bissel328 and Rysk22 like this.
  11. NickBourne

NickBourne Initiate (179) Jul 9, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Flight was delayed this morning. Didn't get in until 1:15 and was at the brewery at 2. Was fully expecting a massive line and no cans left.

Was pleasantly surprised to find a small line and ton of Seed (Substance was sold out). Got myself a case and a couple beers. Seed is a killer of a summer beer and the color/haze is incredible.

Cheers to Bissell, love the new brewery!

jhavs likes this.
  12. JonnyJuicebox

JonnyJuicebox Initiate (88) Jun 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

OK, I have a question about these guys.

I first went to them years ago when I heard talk about the Substance while waiting in line at Hill Farmstead. They were saying it's the new Heady Topper.

I go to Maine all the time as I have family in Falmouth, so I decided to check them out.(again this was years ago). All they had was substance when I went. I thought it was good, but certainly not HT. But great for a small shop. Time goes on, people are going fucking nuts for these guys. Seeing civilians with Bissell Brothers swag at every brewery I go to. I try it a few more times and am still not totally sold. I even was there for the very last substance/swish release.(swish was pretty great, substance was just fine. Still, nothing really blew me out of the water). A few times I grabbed it on draft at various locations and really liked it.

THEN, my wife and I spent a week in Portland just this past week and Substance was everywhere on tap. I had it at the tiny tap room and was floored. It was hazy as can be, pillowy, and just amazing. I was really blown away by how good it was. Even just the appearance was different than any batch I had previously tried. Looked like quicksand. The smell was intoxicating.

I thought maybe the new brewery brought more advanced equipment, which yielded a better beer. It's no question these guys are trying to make hazy juice bombs...swish aside this was the first time I had Substance that hit that mark. I had never really tasted that intense peachy hop juice that I was getting on draft.

So I went to the brewery and bought my allotment. Brought them back to Boston, and poured one into a glass. I noticed immediately the haze was not as apparent, it was darker too. It didn't smell as pungent, and the taste wasn't there either. Certainly better than what I've had in the past, but not what I was tasting on draft. I actually have photos I'll upload in a little bit.

Do these guys suffer from consistency problems? Just to clarify, I've never once had a Bissell Brothers beer and not really enjoyed it, but the beer that I had on tap was other wordly...up there with Fort Point Pale Ale. Is this a can vs. draft thing? Should I let my cans sit a while?

Even the reviews on this site for the substance are polarizing. Some people are enamored, some people think it's just a really good IPA.(which it is on its worst day imo)

Jesus Christ I'm a spoiled beer asshole. I guess when you live 3 miles from Fort Point it's hard to not be.

On a side note, the guys that work at the brewery have been, and still are really awesome. They run big release days better than anyone else.

Also, while in Portland I managed to grab pours of Diavoletto, Nothing Gold, and Reciprocal. NOthing Gold and Reciprocal were both very nice, and Diavoletto...I would love to drink about 50 ounces of that on a sunny beach. Reminded me of Trillikini.

13. ErrandWolfe

ErrandWolfe Initiate (160) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Beer Trader

There have been some consistency issues, but I've never had a can that was terrible, just not as good as it can be. They also changed the yeast in Substance about a year ago, and of course some people freaked out. I also find that Substance drops off really quickly. I've been blown away by a can one day, and two days later find it to me just meh. Other factors probably play a role in that, but I don't think it holds up well beyond 10-12 days or so.

14. lic217

lic217 Crusader (773) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Wow! A can that drops off that fast? Maybe some serious oxygen issues.

15. Hammerhead79

Beer Trader

Did Seed cans sellout Sat?

16. ErrandWolfe

ErrandWolfe Initiate (160) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Beer Trader

I don't want to sound like I'm bad mouthing Bissell, by any means. I love their beers, and I don't think they all drop off that fast. I just think Substance falls off faster than a lot of beers. And again, there are always a lot of factors that affect why a beer may blow me away one day and not seem as amazing a couple days later.

17. Jason

Jason Founder (7,982) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

Public drinking is one thing but if a state agent hears about it, things could get ugly on many levels. Can't understand why people can't wait, why jeopardize a breweries way of doing business / suspension or loss of license in a worst case scenario.

Sean227, Justin42 and jhavs like this.
  18. Jason

Jason Founder (7,982) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Subscriber

Doubt it is oxygen issues however when you package beer that has soooooo much junk in it anything can happen. I want to see what happens to a beer like this when it is left warm for a few months ... ;-)

lic217 likes this.
  19. mfurlone

mfurlone Initiate (170) Jun 25, 2014 Maine
    Beer Trader

Fairly certain they did.

20. JBPortland

JBPortland Initiate (76) Oct 20, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Lol, way to blatantly skirt Maine's self-distribution laws by "selling" your own in-house distro fleet to you own employee, textbook shell game move. Clearly they will still be in entire control of their own distro.

LukieBL likes this.
  21. lic217

lic217 Crusader (773) Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Good point. I have not had the beer, but if it has a lot of stuff in it, then I can imagine flavor stability and consistency could be major issues...

22. bafranksbro

bafranksbro Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2015 New Hampshire

Had a seven month old lux last year, was absolutely amazing when my bro and I finally drank it. Wasn't as good as day one but much better than most fresh beer's from fairly well hyped up brewers. Did the same with a swish and also was amazing. Did the same with a substance though and it didn't hold as well. All were refrigerated the whole time.

Haven't been to bissell this year yet but going this next Saturday for what looks to be the last lux release of the summer. Haven't even gotten substance since the new yeast last year, struck out on it every time I've been since. Definitely skipping the dinner release the same day, great beer but not worth the four hour wait.

23. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (321) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

You can in CT. OEC has some pretty good shares during their big releases (ei experimentalis)

24. PeterJensenBissell

PeterJensenBissell Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 Maine

Hello there,
    It seems like you've had some inconsistent experiences while travelling from time to time from Massachusetts. Sorry to hear that. I would say for the last 10 months, the beer has been very consistently "what it is" . We did change from Cal to our new yeast last July, but no hop or grain schedules changed on Substance. Something to remember for non-locals is that we are not just a can storefront, we service 65-75 draft accounts weekly throughout the great state of Maine. Maine's beer-producing reputation speaks for itself, and our local pubs and their huge demand are a unforgiving judge on consistency and product quality. They taste every single batch, every week, as do we. We are very happy with our consistency, I am sorry you have had a different experience tasting our beers a handful of times apart from one another. It's a very subject thing, drinking a beer, right? Thanks so much for visiting and trying us out.
    -Pete B

Bissel328, mfurlone, Davl22 and 9 others like this.
  25. PeterJensenBissell

PeterJensenBissell Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 Maine

Glad you're enjoying our stuff. Just a reminder, LUX is year-round, not seasonal. We'll keep pumpin' it out for ya!

Bissel328, ErrandWolfe, jhavs and 3 others like this.
  26. vtcraft

vtcraft Aspirant (213) Apr 1, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Was driving by today so stopped at 1:45 and all cans were gone.

27. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (269) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

We're stopping in Portland for lunch on Saturday (8.27) en route to Bar Harbor. I know it's impossible to predict with certainty, but generally speaking are we better off getting to Bissell right at noon open or after lunch around 1:30ish?

28. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (181) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

RIGHT at noon. The Substance sells out fast

29. Hammerhead79

Beer Trader

Get there for open with the Nothing Gold release that day it will be pretty crazy for the first few hours of opening.
    Last Nothing Gold release the line was past the length of the building and into the adjacent parking lot at noon.

30. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (269) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Thank you @OnlyTheFinest and @Hammerhead79 for the info, much appreciated. Do they do a cash-only lines for Nothing Gold releases? Any (rough) sense of how fast the line moves? I'd love to grab some cans, but our priority it getting up to Bar Harbor and starting a long weekend, so not looking to blow 2 hours in line for cans. Thank you!

31. Hammerhead79

Beer Trader

Seed release they tried a different set up with 3 all transaction PoS 1 Draft only Pos and 1 Cans only Pos. no Idea if they plan that again and I was not there for Seed to see how it went.
    last release I went to was Reciprocal I got there at 10:30 and was 13 or 14 in line.

32. Loanstarbeergeek89

Loanstarbeergeek89 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

I'll be up at bissell on a Saturday in mid September won't arrive until 230 would I be good for cans?

33. Hammerhead79

Beer Trader

Depends what is released but in my experience cans go quick

Loanstarbeergeek89 likes this.
  34. Loanstarbeergeek89

Loanstarbeergeek89 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

I wonder when BB will post the fall release schedule

35. cs3dt

cs3dt Initiate (105) Aug 16, 2016 Pennsylvania

If I'm going to be in town this Sunday and could get there prior to noon, what's the likelihood there will be any cans left? If slim, any good bets for cans in Portland?

36. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (219) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Chances are slim to none there will be cans left at the brewery on Sunday given the long holiday weekend. They will likely have a number of beers on tap for pours, however.

I'll defer to the locals as to your best shot for cans (other than maybe an IP trade), but Bier Cellar is the name I see referenced on here over and over.

37. Hammerhead79

Beer Trader

Not sure but I saw first Swish release will be 10/22

38. OnlyTheFinest

Beer Trader

Substance will sell out in the first hour on Saturday.

Dangol MIGHT last until the first hour of Sunday, that is.... if it doesn't sell out on Saturday.

39. OnlyTheFinest

Beer Trader

Likely the middle of next week.

Prep your calendars for Swish day, it will be MASSIVE this year. Swish sold out in the first hour last October on it's first release day last season.

Swish is my personal #1 beer. Believe it or not but I finished my last two cans a month ago from the last release day (April?) and they tasted just as good as a can I had on that release day.

Seriously, Mark your calendars!

ke_long likes this.
  40. BierCellar

BierCellar Initiate (128) Apr 5, 2012 Maine

We get our drops on Thursdays typically, usually gone in a few hours. Unfortunately the retailers will be dry on a Sunday.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More