Bissell Brothers

Discussion in 'New England' started by OnlyTheFinest, May 21, 2016.

1. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (219) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

2. Loanstarbeergeek89

Loanstarbeergeek89 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

I guess they got busy I was constantly checking Twitter

3. mmorris15

mmorris15 Zealot (573) Dec 30, 2015 Maine
    Beer Trader

Schedule just posted on FB. No Swish dates yet.

4. Piels25

Beer Trader

As noted above, they had indicated previously Swish would be 10/22. Guess we'll have to wait and see for confirmation.

5. nickbman

nickbman Aspirant (266) Feb 7, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Landing in Portland around 1 on October 2nd(Sat) for the start of a Vacation - how fast do they sell out and especially how fast does Nothing Gold sell out usually?

6. Loanstarbeergeek89

Beer Trader

Very fast .. Should be able to have on tap

7. Loanstarbeergeek89

Beer Trader

Also PM closer to the release I should make it and I can give you a couple cans. I know the feeling of missing out.

nickbman likes this.
  8. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (269) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

There were plenty of Nothing Gold cans left when we arrived around 2:45 at the last release, so you may get lucky.

nickbman likes this.
  9. nickbman

nickbman Aspirant (266) Feb 7, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

thanks for the info!

I'll be packing beer with me as well so I will PM you in a few weeks @Loanstarbeergeek89 :)

10. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (533) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I was shocked when swinging by 6pm after an early dinner thinking I would just get a draft from the taproom, but they were on the last pallet of Nothing Gold and I purchased a 4-pack. Of course that was the Headroom release day when every NE brewery other than Trillium seemed to have lighter traffic.

nickbman likes this.
  11. ellis860

ellis860 Initiate (127) Mar 28, 2011 Connecticut

Heading to Portland on 9/22 and hopefully getting to Bissell around 1pm. Reciprocal is being released the day before....are my chances pretty high that it will still be available?

12. mfurlone

mfurlone Initiate (170) Jun 25, 2014 Maine
    Beer Trader

Recip has been selling out in a day, so your chances are pretty slim.

13. ellis860

Thank you.

14. scubastza

scubastza Initiate (68) Sep 10, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Out-of-towner here planning to hit the 09/28 can release at Bissell Brothers. From what I've gathered it looks like Substance and Lux are being released. I was planning to show up around 11:30a -- based on past experiences will I be able to get cans and get out of there by 1:00p? Do they normally have limits?

Also looking for other recommendations for any other releases or good bars to hit that evening while I'm in town. I also have an IP trade request up in the IP Trade forum if anyone is interested in a swap at the release.

Cheers.

15. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (150) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I think you'll be fine. Depending on your "risk" tolerance you could even probably show up in the afternoon and be fine.

I was in Portland on a Saturday in late August which is obviously a much busier time and didn't go to Bissell Bros until 4ish and while Substance was sold out I was able to get Nothing Gold which is generally a more hyped beer than Lux.

scubastza likes this.
  16. ellis860

Arrived today around 1 pm and missed reciprocal (from yesterday's release) by 15 mins. Still very happy to pick up substance and have reciprocal on tap. Do yourself a favor and go to J's chicken....that was the best chicken sandwich I've ever had.

downesadam and scubastza like this.
  17. scubastza

scubastza Initiate (68) Sep 10, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Thank you both for the feedback. Looking forward to my first visit to Maine. Will definitely check out Js Chicken for lunch.

Smokee likes this.
  18. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (181) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Swish Day Oct 22nd!

BeantownBrews and papposilenus like this.
  19. Myles048

Myles048 Initiate (137) Nov 24, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

First time going to Portland for a beer run will be Saturday 10/1
    What time should I get to BB for a shot at Substance and NoGo? What is the limit normally?

nickbman likes this.
  20. Hammerhead79

Hammerhead79 Disciple (313) Dec 4, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I usually go early , 11:00ish. Lately on bigger release days Subby is 2 4packs pp, NG will be the usual 3 4packs pp.

21. BeantownBrews

BeantownBrews Aspirant (288) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

How early is everyone's estimate for the first swish release?

22. Piels25

Beer Trader

October 22.

BeantownBrews likes this.
  23. BeantownBrews

Beer Trader

Sorry I was unclear, how early should I be there on Oct. 22?

24. Jewrican23

Jewrican23 Initiate (133) Oct 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I got there at 11 for their last swish release in April and was easily guaranteed my allotment. It will probably sell out by 12 or 1 depending on how big the batch size is

BeantownBrews likes this.
  25. Smokee

Smokee Initiate (194) Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Sorry if this is redundant.
    Stopped into Big J's at 1130 this AM, I think the chicken is even better than discussed. REALLY good. Finished lunch right at 12 and the 50-60 ish person line at Bissell Bros pretty much went away. I waited 5-6 mins for 3 4 packs of Substance and 3 4 packs of Lux(these were the limits) and I was on my way. Pretty damn easy.

ellis860 and ElmerTLee like this.
  26. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aspirant (222) Apr 11, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Bissell Brothers posted an image on IG of their new shirts. I wish they had an online store!

27. GaryChalmers

GaryChalmers Aspirant (275) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

First trip to Bissell today. Place was jamming! Drove through at 12:30, line was ugly so came back around 4 and still had Substance available. Beautiful space; industrial vibe, highway in the distance, commercial jets ascending on the horizon.

Hate to be dissenting vote on the chicken place but tried multiple items among four adults and all were mediocre.

28. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (178) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Yeah I had mixed opinions on Big J's. The sauce and toppings and overall sandwich were fantastic but the chicken itself was just good.

29. BeantownBrews

Beer Trader

4 days til SWISH! Anyone know of good leaf peeping near by (or between there and Boston)?

30. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Disciple (361) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Does Lux usually last a few days? My parents are going up to Freeport today and I asked them to stop by Bissell to pick up whatever they have canned... Lux is my favorite of their beers.

31. mfurlone

mfurlone Initiate (170) Jun 25, 2014 Maine
    Beer Trader

Looks like you're in luck. Probably not going to last long, but appears they have cans leftover from yesterday.

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe likes this.
  32. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

And they can Substance every day, yes?

33. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Aspirant (244) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader Subscriber

They sell cans of Substance every day but do not actually package it daily. Bissell usually holds back a set number of cases from each canning run so that they have Substance cans for open each day.

34. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

Beer Trader

Excellent, I wasn't sure from their can schedule page. I've only been there once (at the old brewery), and was lucky enough to get Substance, Lux and a pour of Swish. Absolutely love Lux.

Their Twitter says they have 65 cases of cans left. Which is awesome.

35. gruffyboy

gruffyboy Initiate (32) Oct 10, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader Subscriber

My mother-in-law lives in Portland - what time do you think i can send her to Bissell on Saturday in order to pick up some Swish and not have to wait too long?

36. GaryChalmers

GaryChalmers Aspirant (275) Apr 25, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Locals will know best but I'll throw in my experience from last Sat - Reciprocal cans were gone mid-afternoon and Substance lines were about 10 mins long closer to 5. Guy behind the counter said he expects Swish release to be absolutely shit show.

Even if you don't like your MIL, think it would be cruel to send her.

gruffyboy likes this.
  37. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Aspirant (206) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

I would wager that it will be busy with a line all day for the first Swish release of the season. Probably best to wait a couple releases for excitement to die down. Swish day is actually a sneaky great day for other beer excursions since you know IPA chasers will be in Portland.

gruffyboy likes this.
  38. bla211

bla211 Initiate (166) Mar 17, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Anyone in line yet? I'm sure someone is.

39. ChrisV784

ChrisV784 Initiate (134) Jun 1, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

In the Tree House line yesterday, the people in front of us we're heading straight up that way and were planning on getting in line at midnight.

40. NJNYC732

NJNYC732 Disciple (324) Sep 17, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

why in the world would anyone do that? I went to the last release of Swish in April, which I believe probably draws a similar crowd maybe a little smaller. But I got there 2 hours early and there were maybe 10-15 people.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More