Bissell Brothers

Discussion in 'New England' started by OnlyTheFinest, May 21, 2016.

1. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (237) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

People just love waiting in line. Gotta check in first on untappd. The beer is not hard to get. It's crazy anyone would wait that long.

F2brewers likes this.
  2. Hammerhead79

Hammerhead79 Disciple (313) Dec 4, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Line is large already.

3. buking21

buking21 Disciple (335) Jan 21, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

A little over 400 right now.

4. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

Anyone know anything about people being turned away when there was still beer selling? Friend of mine apparently got erroneously sent home while sales where still being made.

Hoping for fake beer geek parking attendants so I cam make fun of him forever.

5. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,083) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Jesus. I got Swish last November after eating lunch at the Great Lost Bear at around 2 and the line was about 10 minutes. What a difference a year makes. Was hoping to get some Swish his November during my Maine trip but looks like maybe not.

6. scxcrunner

scxcrunner Zealot (594) Aug 24, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The line was nuts and it seemed to move incredibly slow. Got in line at 10:15 and walked out with beer at 1:45.

malfunxion and BeantownBrews like this.
  7. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

New brewery worse service. Good to know.

8. Gvd0006

Gvd0006 Initiate (122) Oct 21, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Service didn't get worse. There was 600+ people in line before noon. I got there at 8:30 and walked out at 12:15 with having a pour.

The front crawls because it has cans +pours+merch sales. I imagine the back can express line moves pretty quickly

9. scxcrunner

Beer Trader

agreed, i dont think the service was poor it was just a madhouse. When you have people getting pours and merch the line runs slow. In the future i would likely just go to the express line but was told when i got there it was just as quick as the full service line. That being said happy to be home drinking some Swish!

#209 scxcrunner, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  10. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (174) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

So you waited in line for 3.5hrs for a pour and no takehome beer?

Wow.

2016 Craft Beer folks

malfunxion likes this.
  11. Sweatshirt

Beer Trader

Lulz. Been there the past 5 times. Went to oxbow before. Always got beer. How today wasn't worse is homer BS.

12. Tidesox28

Tidesox28 Disciple (344) Apr 21, 2013 Maine
    Beer Trader

I got in line about 10. Got my allotment at about 1:00.

Did some IP trades in line. Met some great people, shared a few beers. Wish the weather was more cooperative, but overall a good time. Crowd was more subdued than Dinner releases.

I'll do it again in November.

There were two lines. One out back for cans only and no guarantee that they'd run out.

The other line, the one I was in, was for cans and pours. The staff, as always, could not have been more welcoming. Staff came through a couple times, chatting it up. Once with donuts from the Holy Donut. I believe some at the end were told that they would probably run out of cans before they were served.

13. gruffyboy

gruffyboy Initiate (136) Oct 10, 2014 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

What will the Umbra release be like on Wednesday do you guys think? Same point as Swish: thinking about asking my Portland-dwelling mother-in-law to head down to pick up some cans. Didn't risk it yesterday. Cheers

14. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Disciple (335) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Can anyone that went through the can only line speak to how fast you were able to get through?

15. wehaveamap

wehaveamap Initiate (184) Jan 16, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Can only line was sloooow for Nothing Gold, I can't imagine it was much better with 3x the people there yesterday

16. BeantownBrews

BeantownBrews Aspirant (288) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Noone has yet to comment on the solicitations of beer traders??!? Weirdest experience ever.

17. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (174) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Why don't you explain what you're talking about?

18. enoves24

enoves24 Initiate (190) Oct 22, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Can only line at the back dock area ran smooth. Probably took me 30-40 mins once they started selling cans at noon. And I was over 100+ in line just for the back too.

2 cashiers working the dock and one of the crew who was kind enough to come out and tell the people near the back that they may not be able to get cans if they decided to stay in line and not go to front entrance.

Lot of people, but ran smooth from my experience.

19. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,288) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I was there 2 hours after opening for the first release and walked right in and up to the counter to get my allotment. Since it's a stout (and not a particularly spectacular one at that) there shouldn't be a huge line. She should be able to go in at 1:00 pm with no problem.

gruffyboy likes this.
  20. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Meyvn (1,288) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Their service is good, but I do think the new brewery needs a few tweaks to their can line. The 2nd release of Nothing Gold was a joke. I was only 90-100 people deep in line after opening and it still took about 2 hours to get in and out.

21. infectedlobster

infectedlobster Aspirant (245) Apr 22, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Nobody's commenting on it because it's run-of-the-mill behavior for a beer release. It's also not a bad thing - soliciting trades is not equivalent to attempting to sell beer.

22. BeantownBrews

BeantownBrews Aspirant (288) Jun 22, 2016 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Obviously an apple isn't an orange -thanks. I find it strange when traders bring wares into the brewery through the exit and approach people sitting down for a pour -that is not "run-of-the-mill"

23. hopley

hopley Champion (831) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The last Nothing Gold release was a piece of cake - I got there at 1pm, walked in and out within 30 minutes. The one before that - I got there at 11 and was probably number 200 - walked out at 1pm. The irony is that I like Nothing Gold more than Swish so lucky me!

24. PeterJensenBissell

PeterJensenBissell Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 Maine

Yeah we were blown away by this too. I started seeing it around 1:30pm when we still had shitloads of cans left. People on social media were saying that "they sold out at 12:30" and I was jumping in and correcting them and I realized that the parking attendants were the ones saying it. THE GUYS WE HAD HIRED. Yeaaahhhhhhhh that won't be happening again. Apologies for any confusion or delay it caused you!

25. PeterJensenBissell

The next release we are opening at 10am with all 6 POS stations CANS ONLY until noon. We should move thru the entire batch of cans in two hours, then open up for on-premise drinking merch, etc. Stay tuned for official announcement as we hash out the rest of the details.

intobenme, redworld, Janeinma and 4 others like this.
  26. PeterJensenBissell

Cans sold out between 2:45 and 2:50pm. What this guy did or didn't do was not indicative of that.

27. scxcrunner

Beer Trader

Great to hear! thanks for taking the time to respond we are looking forward to getting back up there.

28. Gvd0006

Gvd0006 Initiate (122) Oct 21, 2015 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I guess my post wasn't clear. I walked out at 12:15 after grabbing mine and the girls case of swish AND having drank a pour.

I don't think anyone would wait in line for more than 20 mins just for a pour

29. TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage Initiate (136) Sep 17, 2015 Georgia
    Beer Trader

If I stop in Thurs afternoon will there still be cans to go?

30. Loanstarbeergeek89

Loanstarbeergeek89 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

Well swish round two is around the corner. My lady will not be going (thank
    God)
    If anyone would like to have a small bottle share let me know.

31. DrStiffington

Beer Trader

So I've heard lines have gotten worse this year. Last year I was able to show up around 2, very short wait and got Swish cans. Sounds like that won't be possible anymore. Does showing up at 10 mean waiting in line for more than an hour?

32. Loanstarbeergeek89

Loanstarbeergeek89 Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2016 Maine
    Beer Trader

I spoke with someone at the brewery he said 6 cashiers will be running just cans. Honestly I don't think 10am gets you any swish.

33. DrStiffington

Beer Trader

Well, it was nice while it lasted. Maybe I'll check out the new place later for a few pours. Not showing up early, not waiting in a line, not showing up with the possiblity of getting shut out.

34. gruffyboy

gruffyboy Initiate (136) Oct 10, 2014 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

This will probably be treated as heresy, but I prefer The Substance to Swish anyway

Pete_Gill likes this.
  35. DrStiffington

Beer Trader

I rated Substance higher than Swish. Both great though.

Pete_Gill likes this.
  36. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Disciple (335) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Will be in town for the Saturday release. Can anyone suggest a time to arrive to be guaranteed cans?

37. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Aspirant (211) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Yes I agree, wish there was a "Substance Only" Line to save time....

DrStiffington likes this.
  38. dubdrop

dubdrop Devotee (456) Aug 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I dig the reworked Substance recipe quite a bit, but I still think Swish is better. Reciprocal is better than both though! Excited that when I'm in town for Thanksgiving in a few weeks the friday can release is Reciprocal. Anyone think this will require lining up early? Not really huge on the black friday thing, so would rather not have to get up early.

39. MalKen

MalKen Initiate (177) Nov 9, 2012 Massachusetts

I'm hoping the Dinner release will take some people away.

40. DrStiffington

Beer Trader

Not enough

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.