Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Black ale to a Black IPA?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Timmush, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmush

Timmush Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

I bought a recipe from Autsin homebrew because It was cheap. It is for a "Black Ale" mini-mash.
    I am thinking the recipe doesn't seem like it would be very good, so was wondering if I can hop it generously? Any advice.. Does it sound like it would be ok on its own? I have tons of other hops in the freezer (Citra, Amarillo, Belma, Cascade, Magnum) I could add but not sure it would work. I have read a wookeyJack clone but this is way lower abv. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Recipe: 1.5 # Caramunich, 1 # 2row, .25# black patent, .25 # choc. malt, .5 # munich malt,

Then 5# Munich extract
    Hops,
    60 min 1 oz select,
    15 and 5, 1 oz Saaz each
    Came with Safbrew S33 dry yeast.

2. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

I presume this is a minimash? I don't like that much caramunich. I would cut it to .75 or .5 lbs. I would consider cold steeping the roasted malts. And I would add some American C hops as late additions or dry hops. And I never used S33 but heard bad things. I'd switch to S -05.

3. Timmush

Timmush Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey

Keep the saaz too or ditch them for the cascade? The bad thing is this is a kit so all the grains are in one bag

4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior May 21, 2010 Texas

I don't think you'd have any issue adding a little more hops, perhaps another ounce at 1 minute or flameout. I'd go with cascade, but them I'm biased towards cascade. :rolleyes:

5. PortLargo

PortLargo Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Absolutely.

IMO a Black Ale hopped with Saaz will leave a lot to be desired . . . go for your full aroma hops. Two sessions ago I made a Black Imperial IPA (Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous clone) that had massive late hops. If you dump in your Amarillo, Citra, and Cascade (late) you perk up any IPA.

The interesting part is when you serve a Black IPA. Everyone will assume it's a stout or porter and expect to taste a coffee/chocolate/malty backbone. Then the hops grab 'em . . . fun to watch . . . you can see their gears spinning trying to figure it out.

6. premierpro

premierpro Mar 21, 2009 Michigan
    Subscriber

I think the kit sounds good! With the roasted grains you will clash with the C hops. ( In my opinion. )

7. PortLargo

PortLargo Oct 19, 2012 Florida

This is a good point I overlooked. You probably don't want bright hop aroma and flavors competing with chocolate/nutty flavors. And you say the grain is all pre-mixed? So . . . the advice ranges from replace the yeast, replace the hops, and now replace the grain. Hmmm, maybe there was a reason the kit was so cheap.

I still feel drinkers let their eyes pre-determine a lot of how they think a beer will taste. Black Ale is not a common style and most people's eyeballs will alert their nose/tongue to expect a stout or porter which this really isn't.

8. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

What is a Black Ale anyway? Seems like a pretty broad descriptor. I'd add something flaked to my mini-mash and up the 2 row a bit. Agree with cutting back on the caramunich

9. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I used to think that way, but I have been impressed lately with some of the black IPA's in the market which I might be more likely to call hoppy porters. But, I have enjoyed them.

10. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

If he cold steeps his roasted grains as I suggested, he will get only a slight roastiness with the desired color. If you find C hops clash with roastiness, this is a good option. However, some pretty good beers have used C hops and roasted grains, to good effect, too. For example, this one and the various incarnations that have been published: http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...itle=beer-recipe-of-the-week-janets-brown-ale

11. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Nov 16, 2010 Washington

My favorite Black IPA is made with Chinook, Amarillo and Simcoe. So I see no reason you can't make a great black IPA with what you have.

12. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Nov 21, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

The recipe is interesting. I think they are going for a malty version of a black lager (pseudo-lager actually.) I don't see a real reason to change the recipe....if anything try dry hopping with an ounce of saaz. Your not going to change it into anything resembling an ipa. Why try?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe