Black ale to a Black IPA?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Timmush, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmush

Timmush Aspirant (291) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I bought a recipe from Autsin homebrew because It was cheap. It is for a "Black Ale" mini-mash.
    I am thinking the recipe doesn't seem like it would be very good, so was wondering if I can hop it generously? Any advice.. Does it sound like it would be ok on its own? I have tons of other hops in the freezer (Citra, Amarillo, Belma, Cascade, Magnum) I could add but not sure it would work. I have read a wookeyJack clone but this is way lower abv. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Recipe: 1.5 # Caramunich, 1 # 2row, .25# black patent, .25 # choc. malt, .5 # munich malt,

Then 5# Munich extract
    Hops,
    60 min 1 oz select,
    15 and 5, 1 oz Saaz each
    Came with Safbrew S33 dry yeast.

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,593) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

I presume this is a minimash? I don't like that much caramunich. I would cut it to .75 or .5 lbs. I would consider cold steeping the roasted malts. And I would add some American C hops as late additions or dry hops. And I never used S33 but heard bad things. I'd switch to S -05.

3. Timmush

Timmush Aspirant (291) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Keep the saaz too or ditch them for the cascade? The bad thing is this is a kit so all the grains are in one bag

4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Initiate (0) May 21, 2010 Texas

I don't think you'd have any issue adding a little more hops, perhaps another ounce at 1 minute or flameout. I'd go with cascade, but them I'm biased towards cascade. :rolling_eyes:

5. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (460) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Absolutely.

IMO a Black Ale hopped with Saaz will leave a lot to be desired . . . go for your full aroma hops. Two sessions ago I made a Black Imperial IPA (Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous clone) that had massive late hops. If you dump in your Amarillo, Citra, and Cascade (late) you perk up any IPA.

The interesting part is when you serve a Black IPA. Everyone will assume it's a stout or porter and expect to taste a coffee/chocolate/malty backbone. Then the hops grab 'em . . . fun to watch . . . you can see their gears spinning trying to figure it out.

6. premierpro

premierpro Disciple (384) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

I think the kit sounds good! With the roasted grains you will clash with the C hops. ( In my opinion. )

7. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (460) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

This is a good point I overlooked. You probably don't want bright hop aroma and flavors competing with chocolate/nutty flavors. And you say the grain is all pre-mixed? So . . . the advice ranges from replace the yeast, replace the hops, and now replace the grain. Hmmm, maybe there was a reason the kit was so cheap.

I still feel drinkers let their eyes pre-determine a lot of how they think a beer will taste. Black Ale is not a common style and most people's eyeballs will alert their nose/tongue to expect a stout or porter which this really isn't.

8. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (688) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

What is a Black Ale anyway? Seems like a pretty broad descriptor. I'd add something flaked to my mini-mash and up the 2 row a bit. Agree with cutting back on the caramunich

9. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I used to think that way, but I have been impressed lately with some of the black IPA's in the market which I might be more likely to call hoppy porters. But, I have enjoyed them.

10. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,593) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

If he cold steeps his roasted grains as I suggested, he will get only a slight roastiness with the desired color. If you find C hops clash with roastiness, this is a good option. However, some pretty good beers have used C hops and roasted grains, to good effect, too. For example, this one and the various incarnations that have been published: http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...itle=beer-recipe-of-the-week-janets-brown-ale

11. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Aspirant (202) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

My favorite Black IPA is made with Chinook, Amarillo and Simcoe. So I see no reason you can't make a great black IPA with what you have.

12. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Devotee (400) Nov 21, 2008 Texas
    Beer Trader

The recipe is interesting. I think they are going for a malty version of a black lager (pseudo-lager actually.) I don't see a real reason to change the recipe....if anything try dry hopping with an ounce of saaz. Your not going to change it into anything resembling an ipa. Why try?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.