Black Betty infected?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by beenitty, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beenitty

beenitty Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2010 New Jersey

Recently came across a bottle of 09 BA Black Betty at a bottle shop and grabbed it, a buddy of mine bought a case when it came out originally and he warned me that a few of his were infected, curious if anyone out there has had a similar experience with the 09 batch or subsequent years batches.

Cheers

2. dbossman

dbossman Meyvn (1,189) Apr 27, 2009 Nebraska
    Subscriber

I haven't heard of any infections and I live less than 5 miles from the brewery, but I could be wrong.

3. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (2,602) Nov 16, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Oh wonderful another x and y is infected. Jeebus

Cheers!

4. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

I've never heard of any infections, but I still think its not a very good beer. In other words, I'd avoid it either way.

5. wonderbread23

wonderbread23 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 New York

I had a bottle about 3 weeks ago and it was definitely infected. Actually had a fairly pleasant brett nose and a bit of tartness. Somewhat enjoyable as a wild beer, but it definitely obliterated the bourbon character.

6. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

i had a bottle perhaps two years ago (IIRC) and it definitely had an off, metallic, borderline infected flavor happening. not the best experience at ~$25 for a bottle.

7. manaox2

manaox2 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2010 North Carolina

I had two bottles of Black Betty tonight. I wish I'd seen hints like this thread and latest rate beer reviews sooner. I had planned one for me and one for trade. Opened one and a definite sour smell to it. Tastes horrible and became a drain pour, little doubt of not being infected. Had to open my second bottle now because I didn't trust it. A little better, but smell and taste still leans toward infection. Nonplussed at the $45 loss.

8. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Disciple (303) Mar 15, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

You mean you won't be buying this? http://beerstreetjournal.com/nebraskas-sour-ugly-betty/

9. manaox2

10. beenitty

What year were your bottles?

11. manaox2

No bottle dates printed, but one bottle was bought at Bestway in Greensboro NC around July 23rd, other from tasty beverage Raleigh last week. I'm guessing 2011 vintage.

12. cfh64

cfh64 Devotee (482) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Beer Trader

Drinking a '10 right now and there's no doubt it's infected. Had I opened this thinking I was about to have a barrel aged stout I would be furious but it was given to me as an extra and fortunately I read this thread and knew what to expect. Having said all of that, if you close your eyes and pretend your drinking an intentional sour stout it's not half bad. No, I wouldn't buy another but I'm not drain pouring it either. It also sucks that it's not a BB aged stout as it was meant to be and its expensive but oh well.

13. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,362) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Interesting. This was one stout I was really looking forward to based on pours at the Great Taste a couple years back, & the bottles I've had have been thin & uninteresting with little to no bourbon taste. In other beers I've had, these two things have been the warning signs of infection: I wonder if I had them young, when they were only beginning to go south.

Too bad. I had a lot of hope for Nebraska, but the ridiculous bottle prices & some serious disappointments have left me indifferent.

14. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2008 California

I don't think the news radiates outward like that.

ant880 and ASUBeer like this.
  15. antlerwrestler19

antlerwrestler19 Disciple (363) Nov 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

I've consumed 6 bottles of Black Betty within the last 2 years, some from each release, and I've yet to experience an infected one. Also just drank a Sexy Betty Friday night and am in love with that beer, no signs of infection there. I am intrigued with the release of Ugly Betty - I probably won't stock up like I have past releases but I'll buy a bottle, try it at the release, and if I like it I'll buy more.

Cheers

16. birchstick

birchstick Poo-Bah (1,666) Sep 2, 2007 Colorado

I had one a couple of weeks ago that was completely fine. I was given it by a friend who didn't want it, so I was more than happy to take it off of his hands. However, I held off from buying it 2 years ago due to infection rumors back then.

17. beenitty

I sent a letter to Nebraska explaining my concerns, hopefully my bottle is ok...

Unlike my two bottles of BA Yeti. :(

18. rbradley

rbradley Aspirant (232) May 11, 2011 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Just opened one this evening...not sure if the brew warrants the $20+ price tag but at least it wasn't a drain pour...

beenitty likes this.
  19. TomClem

TomClem Initiate (8) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Have you consumed most of these fresh? I have had Black Betty several times too (keg and bottle) and have not detected any off flavors, but I haven't had any that I have known were aged. Could it be the infections are so minor that it isn't noticeable until aged for a longer period? Really wish the bottles had dates on them.

lvoutlawjlh likes this.
  20. beenitty

I made a post about a Fathead vertical a few weeks back.

The labels are identical except insert Black Betty, 2009 version has the year on it.

Im not sure about 2010 and 2011, I think they're identical to the Fathead Labels (2010 without white background, 2011 with white background) but I can't find a picture distinquishing them.

21. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2007 Illinois

I had one on Tuesday night, and everyone agreed that it was infected. Son, I am disappoint.

22. kmatlack

kmatlack Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Has anyone gotten in contact with the brewery regarding this issue? If so are they trying to make right?

Paid over $20 for the bottle and am a little pissed off about this...

23. beenitty

I sent them a letter and no response. I sent a similar letter (same week actually) to Great Divide and they sent me 2 bottles of BA Ruffian.

Im sure they got it, what they're doing about it, nada.

I've been meaning to send another one, and see what happens.

24. beenitty

Update on this:

I ended up sending them two letters. The second one after I didn't receive a response from the first letter.

The president ended up emailing me, I would post it here but its quite verbose on their QA methods and such but at the end he offered to pay me for the bottles that I have.

I explained to him that I wasn't necessarily concerned with the money but just wanted to feel like my money was well spent and that anything he sent me would probably be spent on beer anyway. I told him that I would welcome the opportunity to try Nebraska's rarer releases in lieu of any cash, and overall it didn't even need to cover the bottle I had but a good faith effort to make things right would be appreciated. Of course, I also said that if he was not interested in the latter option then I'd wouldn't turn down a refund.

I wrote back in late November and I haven't received a response. I'll stay on top of them, but I honestly suggest that If anyone feels like they got screwed to jot down their experience on paper and drop it in the mail to them. As consumers, we have all the power in the world and we need to wield it.

See contact info below.
    [​IMG]

25. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (11,900) Mar 18, 2010 California

I got a tartness from my bottle back in the day but it was still pretty good. I remember e-mailing Nebraska and they basically said they would look into it.

26. TomClem

TomClem Initiate (8) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

Nebraska Brewing Company can be found on facebook as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe