Black Husky Twelve-Dog Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by sisterthelonious, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Just picked up a few bottles of Twelve-Dog Imperial Stout. The brewery cellared a few cases, so they are dated 11/15/2012. Has anyone opened any of these yet? I'm looking forward to it.

2. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

it was boozy last year when i tried presumably the same batch

3. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,034) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

I'm going to grab one of these since a few are in Madison.

4. sisterthelonious

I know Star Liquor had some yesterday. Probably the other regular places, too. Maybe a year of aging mellowed it out a bit.

5. Ri0

Society

How much does a bottle cost? I hope to grab one at Star or Steve's if they have it.

6. sisterthelonious

I'm not sure- my sister stopped in and picked one up for me. My guess is $8-10?

7. sisterthelonious

Just signed up for a tasting w/ Tim from Black Husky next Wednesday at Ray's in Wauwatosa. That should be a fun night.

8. haschauer

haschauer Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2012 Wisconsin

Just picked one up at Star for $8.99

sisterthelonious likes this.
  9. sisterthelonious

Good deal. Haven't tasted mine yet. Did they have this year's batch, too, or just the 2012 cellared?

10. Ri0

Society

Same here.
    @blackhusky when were these bottled?

11. blackhusky

blackhusky Initiate (78) May 16, 2011 Wisconsin

We took them 2013 that was bottled probably a day or two before we delivered them - the date is always written on the box. There are also 2012 bottles but those bottles are labeled with the date they were bottled.

12. Ri0

Society

Thank you. Should I drink the 13 fresh or let it sit a bit? How do you prefer it?

13. blackhusky

AS far as the event at Ray's we are going to have the 2012 and 2013 Twelve Dog stout to compare, a barleywine and imperial stout that are developmental beers, and I think we'll bring some Smoke Monster and Big Buck Brown. I don't have a real "theme" yet to talk about but I think I'll talk about the brewery, our philosophy and things I hate.

jRocco2021 and PseudoBen like this.
  14. blackhusky

Oh drink it fresh. We'll hold some 2013 and release it next year along with some 2012 and 2014. We keep the beer in the walk in at 38 degrees so you don't have to. We also have some in a bourbon barrel that will come out in March when our grandson is 1 year old.

15. Ri0

Society

I have to say that you are one of my favorite micro breweries right now. I'm just stoked that you haul bottles down to Madison so that I have a chance to try them. All have been fantastic thus far. Plans to bottle the bourbon barrel and distribute a few?

16. blackhusky

Hey thanks. We are enjoying things and Madison is going well. We added Dexter's and Old Fashioned this month. We are also going to Kenosha now too. We will definitely bottle the bourbon barrel and probably do a few kegs.

sonoma01, JKIRBY, stayclean and 3 others like this.
  17. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Defender (666) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

This excites me! Hope it makes it to Milwaukee.

I just can't seem to muster the self-control to walk past Black Husky beers without grabbing one or two, and haven't had one I didn't like.

stayclean likes this.
  18. DonDonson

DonDonson Initiate (123) Dec 5, 2006 Wisconsin

Guess, I need to run to Tenuta's today.

JKIRBY likes this.
  19. slaneja

slaneja Initiate (105) Mar 26, 2010 Indiana

Great news here. It was nice trying some of your stuff at the Blue Moon, glad it will be more widely available in Madison.

20. OnWisconsin

OnWisconsin Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2012 Wisconsin

Any chance you will be distributing to Green Bay? Loving grabbing a pint when I am in Madison but would love to have some Black Husky in my beer fridge!

21. BrownAleMale

BrownAleMale Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2011 Wisconsin

Yay Kenosha!

22. sisterthelonious

Twelve-Dog was great- def worth grabbing a few extra bottles for later in the winter or for next year. Can't think of another Wisco Imperial Stout that even comes close to this.

23. stayclean

stayclean Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

Anyone know if this is at Downer?

24. Westuh

Westuh Aspirant (271) Oct 9, 2012 Wisconsin

It was there last time I stopped in last week. Was around $10 with tax.

stayclean likes this.
  25. sherm1016

sherm1016 Aspirant (210) Aug 10, 2009 Wisconsin

Shopping at the competition?

26. Westuh

Westuh Aspirant (271) Oct 9, 2012 Wisconsin

I support local businesses that get some tasty brews that we cannot get or didnt get.

sisterthelonious and stayclean like this.
  27. misterid

misterid Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

@blackhusky, i'm going to need you guys to start distributing to Green Bay or the Fox Valley, stat

28. sisterthelonious

Have your local shop give them a call!

29. Ri0

Society

Drank mine today and it was fantastic.

30. Hendrick24

Trader

the 13' or 12'?

31. Ri0

Society

Only had the 13.

32. Hendrick24

Trader

Discount Waukesha had both in stock as of yesterday if you're looking for it / in the area.

33. sisterthelonious

Both are really good. Not a ton of difference between them, 12 is a bit less acidic, more mellow roasty flavors. 13 has more pop off the bat.

34. Ri0

Society

All I know is that the 13 is damn good. I can't wait to see how it is after aged in a BB.

35. sisterthelonious

yup.

36. TheStoutHound

TheStoutHound Devotee (483) Mar 3, 2012 Wisconsin
    Trader

Any of this around Madison still?

37. DonDonson

DonDonson Initiate (123) Dec 5, 2006 Wisconsin

Stopped in at Tenutas today and picked up a 2013 and 2012. Blackhusky, should the bottles remain cold? Is there a taste improvement by keeping the bottles cold?

38. blackhusky

We highly recommend keeping the beer cold. We've done "experiments" where we took bottled beer from the same batch and kept some in the cooler and some at room temperature and over the course of several weeks did side-by-side comparisons and we saw the beer stored at room temperature begin to compare less favorably to the beer stored in the cooler at about 6 weeks. This was especially true of the beers with a strong hop profile. I think its best to keep the beer cold and we really stress to our retailers to keep it in the cooler at all times. We also deliver smaller amounts of beer so it doesn't get stuck on the shelf and since we self-distribute we control the beer supply very closely. Once you get it its up to you but if you store your beer on top of the furnace and it tastes like shit when you drink it you know I wouldn't be surprised. If you're spending $10 on a bottle of beer you want it to be good so take care of it!

Tim

ohiobeer29, jRocco2021 and Hendrick24 like this.
  39. Ri0

Society

Tim what will be the cost of the BB Stout? I'm imagining how incredible it will be after drinking 12-dog.

40. blackhusky

One Million dollars (insert Dr. Evil scene here). I don't know yet. Toni and I need to sir down and work that out. We are just starting to work on a lable and it won't be released until end of March.

stayclean likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.