Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Black Note 750's: Worth Trading?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by JohnB87, Jan 10, 2013.

1. JohnB87

With the release of the 4-packs of Black Note, do you think the trading value of the 750's has gone down significantly? I have a few of these and although I don't feel the need to get rid of them, it certainly would have been nice to know that Bells was releasing these in 4-packs weeks after the 750's (for the same price, nonetheless).

I know this is being discussed in the GL forum, but as far as trading, would anybody go out of their way to trade for the large format bottles anymore?

2. Hugonaut13

Beer Trader

Send me one! :)

3. JM03

For people without access to it, I'm sure they'd take it in whatever format they can get it in.

4. Hanzo

I'm sorry, the stock price plummeted on Black Note 750s the moment the four packs were announced, you missed the boat. Now you either have to drink the beer or trade it for something reasonable. I know both these options seem insane but sometimes you have to cut your losses.

5. tewaris

Notice what happened with BCBS 2009 22 oz in 2012? We at BA are a silly bunch and regardless of what they tell you, size matters.

MarkIntihar and maximum12 like this.
  6. Jparkanzky

This is almost as good as all of the people complaining that they "Just bought the 750's for $23 and now the 4-packs are $23" and then when you look through their post history, you see they were already offering up the 750's for trade long before the 4-pack announcement happened.

Bell's sold them beer, and not trade bait. Oh the horror?!

7. pmoney

Beer Trader

For cellaring, typically a larger format is more desirable right? I guess that's worth something.

gpawned and pschul4 like this.
  8. MarcatGSB

I agree with Tewaris...if they never bottle Black Note in 750's again, these will be the golden bottles that everyone will be clamoring for in 3 years. Plus: Large format bottles age better than 12 oz. bottles, and I'm interested to see how they compare 1,2, and 3 years down the line. Meaning, I'm going to need a few to stock away for those reasons. Ohh and Breaking Bad has 30 of them he needs to dump, so YES, the value is very high. Baller Stout high ;)

adamdd, stxSS07, pschul4 and 4 others like this.
  9. Hanzo

Wouldn't this go completely against logic?

If I want to see how a beer changes over 1yr, 2yr, 3yrs etc wouldn't you want a bunch of 12ozs over 750s you likely would have less of?

10. pmoney

Beer Trader

I agree with what you're saying, but we're talking about two different things. I'm referring to the belief that a larger format bottle is better for aging due to more liquid being exposed to the same about of oxygen. It's often said that larger format bottles oxidize less quickly. For instance, that's why a lot of people prefer 750ml loons over 375ml bottles for cellaring.

dvelcich likes this.
  11. Brez07

I think he means solely on a bottle vs. bottle basis. One 750ml is presumably better for aging than one 12oz...

12. Hanzo

I see. There are a ton of people that age smaller format bottles, never heard about that being a negative thing before. I guess large format vs. small format aging is a topic for another thread.

13. MarcatGSB

It's already been discussed and it seems that this is the consensus...
    6 L > 3 L > 1.5 L > 750 ml > 375 ml > 12 oz.
    For those lucky enough to sample a well aged Chimay or St. Bernardus from a 3 L bottle or larger will agree it's hard to beat.

14. Hanzo

I would love to read about it, link?

15. pmoney

Beer Trader

Sure, I age 12 oz bottles too - there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that when there's a choice between a larger or smaller bottle, typically the larger is thought to hold-up better over a long period of time and is often more desirable.

16. Centennial

nonsense.

maximum12 likes this.
  17. pmoney

Beer Trader

Maybe it's all in my head ;)

DSlim71 and pschul4 like this.
  18. MarcatGSB

I don't think there is any scientific back up for those, I have just been involved in many conversations loosely based around this topic, and that was the consensus. I guess it just depends on your philosophy, because some my state that the point of aging a beer is to ALLOW oxygen in to help break down bread like flavors into nutty or toffee like, etc...To each their own, didn't mean to come off as all knowing, sorry about that.

19. Jparkanzky

Agreed.

I suppose if I spent $90 on a 3L bottle of Stone Double Bastard ( $0.89 per ounce) verses the $8 for the 22 ounce ( $0.36 per ounce) I would probably want to taste that 53% difference in price too.

20. pmoney

Beer Trader

I completely agree that there's no science behind this belief and that there's no proof that a larger format is better. But even though this isn't fact, it is a common belief by many BAs. That belief alone is probably enough to make people want the larger format if they plan on cellaring it for a couple years.

I'm impartial, and I'm just observing the fact that many BAs follow this line of thinking.

21. Bay01

I think alot of people who want to get the 4-packs won't be able to get them, andthere will still be a large unsatisfied demand for Black Note. Maybe value will decline relative to the 4-packs but it will still have a high value.

22. nc41

Beer Trader

Price a side I prefer 12 oz bottles. I have two cabinets filled with bombers of some great beers but it's only me. To pop open a bomber of BCS is a commitment, a 12 oz is easy. But I can't see where the trade value goes down with a bigger bottle it will trade like 2 12 oz Black Notes I'd assume. There was some here, but I passed, I'm so full up on Stouts I can't stuff anymore into the cabinets.

COBeerBuff, Hanzo and Centennial like this.
  23. Savearth

Beer Trader

I have no idea if this is a factor in aging, but it might be important to note that the 750s are corked and caged while the 12 ounce bottles are just capped. Again, I have no specific knowledge in this area, but thought it might be a consideration. Maybe, maybe not...

24. BearsOnAcid

Beer Trader

The cellaring of lambics compared to a BA stout is completely different. Oxidation is noticeable MUCH sooner in regular beers, many times initially upon release of BA beers.

A 12oz bottle can possibly oxidize quicker. But I dont think most BA stouts improve much after a year regardless of bottle size.

vurt and Levitation like this.
  25. LoPo87

Beer Trader

Were the 4 packs realeased brewery only as well? Just saw them popping up in the ISO forum and didn't read anything about them before. Thanks.

26. travMI13

Beer Trader

I think this situation is being overanalyzed very prematurely. We don't even have all the info about the 4-packs yet. Even though this is hitting distribution, Bells said it will be extremely limited. I'm expecting single bottle limits and such at most stores. I'll be thrilled if I get more than that.

If it's comparable to the very first Oracle release a couple years back, I would not be surprised.

27. codysjb

Beer Trader

This. Plus, the availability of four packs will raise awareness of the beer (like when Founders bottled CBS). While people wanted CBS that was handbottled before, the availability of the big bottles (and awareness on Facebook) made non BA's want it thus the trade value skyrocketed. True there will be more bottles, but there may very well be much more demand that surpasses the current supply demand ratio making the value rise.

28. Jeffo

I would prefer a larger format bottle over two 12oz bottles, as they are better for sharing. More of an event as well. I would personally be more excited about getting a large format bottle in a trade than few 12oz bottles.

Jeff

29. Levitation

i'm amused that, with a wide release upon us, people are still scheming for ways to market black note as rare.

Krumb, Lordkrystic, nanobrew and 2 others like this.
  30. Jeffo

Didn't you read the memo?...

codysjb likes this.
  31. Tnudish

Personally, I enjoy the aesthetics of a 750 as opposed to 12 oz. bottles

Flabbyjandro likes this.
  32. Kaydogg

to the OPs question..the answer is yes.. especially if this hits distribution and more and more get out there. Supply and demand..
    In my opinion, I don't care what format its in..and Im sure people looking to finally try this fantastic beer wont care either..

davesway10 and Gosox8787 like this.
  33. kscaldef

Beer Trader

If you have the same total volume of beer, I don't see what makes it any harder to share 12oz bottles.

JohnB87 likes this.
  34. stxSS07

Remember 2008? Yeah, something like that...

I'd continue, but I already used my routine up in the Stille Nacht Reserva 2010 thread.

35. MarcatGSB

You must have your ear on the wire in California, but I don't think this release will be "wide" by any definition.

36. COBeerBuff

Beer Trader

I love 12 oz. bottles as well when it comes to my personal consumption. As you said, opening a 22oz or 750mL means I'm committing a good portion of my night to this beer, and if I feel like having more than one, I end up stoppering one bottle and opening another. Having 12 oz of a dynamite beer is perfect when it's just me.

When I'm sharing, that goes out the window. I love having large format bottles to share with family/friends. I also think, depending on the beer, it tastes better out of a large format bottle. For instance, Boulevard bottles its main Smokestack beers in 750mL and 12oz 4-packs. I love (read: LOVE) Sixth Glass and Long Strange Tripel out of the 750's, but it's more meh from the little guys. YMMV

I think Bells is making the same type of decision. It's certainly going to make Black Note a much more obtainable beer, but I think the draw will be there for both bottles as long as the quality of the beer doesn't suffer. Those of us who don't have live-in's that love beer will stick to the 12oz'ers while those of you with extended beer families will probably stick with the larger bottles.

37. Levitation

you can stop that. we all know how it will trade.

38. MarcatGSB

Having a bunch of Michigander's light up the trading forum, and a beer having a wide distribution are two different things. I don't think this beer will reach much further outside of Kalamazoo than a few hundred miles.

39. lurchingbeast

cavedave likes this.
  40. Anonymous1

Beer Trader

Broken record. We get it. You hate how midwestern shelfwhales trade. Don't you get bored regurgitating the same complaints and argument on this topic every few weeks?

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe