Blending Beers: Share Your Experiments

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThisWangsChung, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cjames88

Cjames88 Initiate (46) Mar 6, 2011 Pennsylvania

I brewed a Citra DIPA for my birthday and Irish Red and American Wheat for St. Paddy's day. The DIPA was a freakin hop bomb and actually mixed well (2/3 & 1/3 ratio) with the wheat.....almost like a makeshift Gumbalhead

2. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,308) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

1/2 SNPA & 1/2 North Coast Old No. 38. Was pretty damn tasty, the PA adding just enough spiciness to the dry stout. Very easy drinker

3. galvetraz

galvetraz Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Texas

What ratio of bourbon to beer do you use? Sounds excellent as I agree with you about Woodford. Although we typically have Blanton's at the house, Woodford is readily available at bars and restaurants in our area.

4. fujindemon74

fujindemon74 Zealot (507) Nov 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree & Plead the 5th which I call Double Jeopardy.

Last night I contemplated blending a GD Yeti and a SN Bigfoot.

5. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

really just a splash of bourbon is enough. maybe about an ounce. i'd just add to taste though and find the right mix. the celebration / woodford combo is a lot more forgiving than random stout + bourbon i think... i've never felt like i ruined the beer there, but i've overdone it with stouts.

6. ressling

ressling Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Georgia

First thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread. Well done sir.

Steve_Oldrati likes this.
  7. CaptFrothy

CaptFrothy Aspirant (236) Dec 9, 2006 Maryland

Black and Tan (guinness and Bass) has withstood the test of time so I like to tinker with this classic when at a bar that doesn't have good craft selections:

Black and Blue (Guiness and Blue Moon)
    Black and Fat (Guiness and Fat Tire)
    etc etc

8. galvetraz

galvetraz Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Texas

Yea sounds about right. I have tried to do the fake barrel aged stout with mixed results. Typically my best results have been with the less is more approach. Thanks for tip I will try it out next chance I get.

Pahn likes this.
  9. JustBill

JustBill Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Vermont

I usually trust the brewers I buy from, but on a whim I poured some Oro De Calabaza into a Victory Swing, and it's pretty damn good. 50/50 mix. I enjoy Swing, but it's kinda over-spiced. I really enjoy Jolly Pumpkin, but I'm kinda burnt on it. That was my reasoning.

So what have you discovered/ruined?

yamar68 likes this.
  10. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Michigan

Narwhal (throwaway beer), ruined by vanilla and pumpkin spice.

11. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Meyvn (1,142) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

Very rarely...1/2 and 1/2 Schlafly Pumpkin and a good oatmeal stout is FANTASTIC, however.

Gonna do a homebrew blending next year...2/5 Irish-style export stout, 3/5 English-style old ale...for all y'all medievalists and/or Latinists out there, gonna call it Peregrinus. Yeah, I thought it was cool, but I'm a dork...

12. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 California

Rarely. I got it in my head that Bigfoot would be good with Ruthless Rye... I poured both bottles equally into one of those oversized Tripel Karmeliet glasses... It was good, but not amazing. I might try it again someday.

13. stealth

stealth Zealot (564) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

lindemans framboise and deschutes obsidian (better yet, abyss)

AndyP612 and drbenzo like this.
  14. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 California

Oh. Actually, I do a fair amount of beer blending when I visit McMenamin's up in Oregon...

Ruby Ale + Terminator Stout = Rubinator
    Ruby Ale + Hammerhead Pale Ale = Rubberhead
    Hammerhead Pale Ale + Terminator Stout = Haminator

The best is probably Rubinator, but they are all worth your while. I don't think I've ever tried combining all three... but maybe I will give it a shot this summer.

Phobicsquirrel likes this.
  15. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

If we could get Summit to produce their Imperial Pumpkin Porter again, this wouldn't be necessary. :slight_frown:

BedetheVenerable and hardy008 like this.
  16. OregonHopmonster

OregonHopmonster Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Oregon

We did a massive tasting with 17 different Bruery sours. At the end we poured the few ounces from each bottle into a pitcher and it was fantastic! Of course we were all pretty drunk at that point so take this with a grain of salt.

17. JustBill

JustBill Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Vermont

A grain of salt, eh? I bet a decent gose would make a nice base for some sort of mixin'...

18. tommyguz

tommyguz Meyvn (1,032) May 14, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have only done the standard blend of IPAs and Stout/Porters...but I really want to try Pumpkin and Oatmeal Stout! Sounds Delicious....

When you brew the blend...do you just make 5 gallons of each and then blend them in two different carboys? before fermentation ? after? How do you do it?

19. alex_hart

alex_hart Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

franziskaner hefe and tank 7: frankinseven....this is absolutely ridiculous how good it is

20. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2011 Michigan

1 oz Shorts Huma Luma with 2 oz KBS ... Totally loved it. Would do again.

21. JayAre46

JayAre46 Disciple (328) Sep 27, 2010 Texas

Hunaphu and uncle Jacobs stout about 80/20...(just a snifter) as awesome as it came out I preferred hunaphu unblended.

22. hoppymcgee

hoppymcgee Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2008 Maine

I've recently done Oude Tart and DuClaw X-1 Imperial Chocolate Rye Porter. Was better than either by itself.

23. Tballz420

Tballz420 Meyvn (1,114) Mar 4, 2003 Minnesota

All the blending I do takes place in my tummy

24. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012 Virginia

I blended Magic Hat Wooly with Heart of Darkness just out of what I felt was necessity because I didn't really care for either and had a bottle of each left. Tasted kind of like a nut brown ale, but I didn't really care for the mix either. Other than this small disaster, I don't generally blend beer because I try not to drink anything I don't enjoy the way it was brewed. Just showed me two bad beers mixed amazingly doesn't turn into something good.

25. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

[​IMG]

Fucking remarkable.

Janis_Hoplin, SebD, sarch and 8 others like this.
  26. cyrushire

cyrushire Initiate (0) May 25, 2012 Florida

On Hunaphu day i had half a hunaphu with half a barrel aged cherry imperial sweet stout and it was easily the best thing I've ever consumed in my life.

27. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2008 New York

I've done exactly one blend. Sixpoint Resin (because I thought it tasted like graham cracker crust) and Southern Tier Pumking. It wasn't bad.

28. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Initiate (179) Jul 13, 2012 California
    Trader

peruvian morning and double crooked tree, yes im drunk

29. Bonis

Bonis Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2010 Ohio

I enjoy a blend of 2/3 DIPA to 1/3 Imperial Stout... Usually only if they are so-so beers. Wouldn't ruin a "great" beer by mixing it with something else.

hoppymcgee, Jamison85 and bastu like this.
  30. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,763) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

had a black n blue once, usually just drink em on their own

31. longbongsilver

longbongsilver Disciple (329) Aug 27, 2005 Missouri

I've done it a few times...

-Founders breakfast stout & OE. Friend owed me & got a 40, I had a bottle of Founders left from a 6 pack, so added it in after chugging to just under the sticker. Resulting blend basically turns into a generalized Bock flavorwise since the stout dominates.
    -Avery Out-of-Bounds Stout & Paulaner Salvator. Interesting.
    -Great Divide Hercules DIPA & Steel Reserve. I actually like SR solo, but w/ the huge charge of hops & shift in malt balance it becomes something else entirely.

32. djmichaelk

djmichaelk Zealot (536) Jul 6, 2008 Florida

Two blends that worked for us so far:
    • Westbrook Mexican Cake + Blushing Monk = like a raspberry flourless chocolate cake beer
    • Cascade Blueberry + Beatification = poor man's Blabaer
    Although we don't usually start doing stuff like this until we're well into a heavy session, so YMMV.

33. prock180

prock180 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 Arizona

I have also tried this before. I liked these.

sucks + bison chocolate stout
    Redchair PA + nitro

And next one im gona try might be Ranger with 1554. Just thought of that, sounds good though.

34. domnalbrecc

domnalbrecc Aspirant (209) Jan 31, 2012 Pennsylvania

Honestly, doing a black & tan with Victory's Golden Monkey and Storm King is pretty tasty. Of course, midway through you're totally fucked up...but that's the charm of the "Silverback".

longbongsilver likes this.
  35. kgotcher

kgotcher Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 Colorado

hell yes and why not! Especially with homebrew when you have 2 almost empty kegs. hmmmm what would that taste like?

36. Jwren5

Jwren5 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2011 Illinois

I think this would be an interesting mix. I may have to add this to my list of blends to try. These are two styles I hadn't thought of blending before.

37. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Zealot (595) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

Either of the NG fruit twins (or Serendipity, I'm sure) with some Bristol XXX Warlock (or any other great stout).

38. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Once I added a little FBS to an extremely bourbon-forward barrel-aged stout. It was surprising how little FBS it took for the coffee to completely dominate the flavor.

39. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (508) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana

I came in here specifically to tout the merits of the Black & Orange. I generally go with an imperial stout rather than an oatmeal stout. Schlafly Pumpkin is very good blended with Old Raspy. It's flat-out grrrrrrreat blended with Breakfast Stout.

40. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Meyvn (1,142) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

I considered both of these options; I think I'm gonna ferment out a 5 gallon batch of both separately, blend the components in the ratios I want, and then bottle the remaining non-blended beers as well. The more I think about this, I might do a smaller batch, as I really hate bottling and don't have a kegging system yet!

tommyguz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.