Blind BIF 8: Hints, Hauls and Reviews

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by Hophead101, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrek806

shrek806 Aspirant (222) Mar 1, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

i am a lonely man who is rebuilding a destroyed box for usofar and has no beers to review. boo hoo

blguillen and usofar like this.
  2. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

By the way...no ABV's written anywhere? You're a bad...bad man.

3. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 California

Scroll up. I told you that I didn't send you any kill shots but I extracted revenge by not listing the ABV :wink: They're all at least 8%, nothing too crazy. I think the biggest one was 15% I could be wrong :wink:

Retail1LO and KevSal like this.
  4. usofar

As I've said via bm I'm really sorry that you have to rebuild the box, but take your time. This stuff happens, luckily very rarely, and I can relate to how frustrating it must be. Last weekend kicked my butt with Pfeifferpalooza and our Gang Bang BIF packing party so I'm taking it easy until July 13/14 anyway.

blguillen likes this.
  5. Cuzco

Cuzco Initiate (79) Mar 22, 2008 New York
    Beer Trader

When it Rome.... Just finished a building a fence in my front yard and am now getting ready to head to work so why not drink a blind beer?

Large 750 DFH looking bottle wrapped in brown paper and packaging tape.

Pours dark golden color with fluffy pure white head that sticks around longer than my junior prom date did. After a bit it settles in around the edges. 4.0

The smell is malt, malt and more malt. A hint of aging/faded hops want to be noticed but their attempt is in vain. There is a hint of alcohol heat in the nose as well. Am I getting a hint of wood as well? 3.5

The taste is malt and alcohol. Really there isn't much more there. The alcohol is very drying. I am almost getting an oak finish due to the dryness of this beer but I am not getting any oak/vanilla on the taste at all. I wish there was more going on here. Maybe it is too cold? 3.0

Mouthfeel is thin and finishes VERY DRY. 2.5

I have no idea what this beer is. I am thinking it is a vintage beer due to the nose and how damn dry it is but I haven't the foggiest... I am thinking aged barleywine.....

Survey Says: Steel Toe Brewing Size 11 Triple IPA. I guess that is why I was thinking Barleywine!

trxxpaxxs likes this.
  6. KevSal

KevSal Savant (959) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

my target still hasnt posted anyhting... really hope everything made it ok. may the shwartz be with him...

Retail1LO likes this.
  7. mikereaser

mikereaser Meyvn (1,167) Feb 5, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Aha! I thought so. I'm out of town but I have someone taking care of boxes coming my way. So everything is safe and sound. Ill be home tomorrow and will report back. Sorry about the delay. Looking forward to it.

trxxpaxxs and KevSal like this.
  8. KevSal

Beer Trader

we cant stop were going to fast!

glad to hear it. hopefully eventing arrived ok!

9. KevSal

Beer Trader

Review #6

I have to skip 4 and 5 for the time being due to loosing my iPod. I'll post some thoughts on that soon! For now let's do a live review!

Green 750 with 11% written on it poured into a wine glass (I'm at a friends house). After I untape it I reveal a cork! This is going to be good. Huge pop as I uncork it

A-pours a cloudy straw blonde with a huge 2inch eggshell cloudy head
    Either a funky sour or a Saison 4

S- yumm this is definetly a Saison. Bit of funk up front, nice horse blanket, strong yeast. Smellin good, not sure if it's Bretted

T-nice! Juicy up front, some funk and... is that wine barrel in the back end?
    Slight sourness in there too, there's a lot going on. Where were u in the 90 degree weather! Tiny alch all the way back

M- think bodied juicy upfront with a wine like dryness in the finish. I can't believe this is an 11% monster

O- this goes fucking great with steak. In going to go with an oaked beefy Saison or wine barrel Saison. We'll see, I'm starting to realize I suck at blind reviews...

And the reveal.... ¿Apoth? Sahalie aged in wine barrels! Bottled jan 13, sits at exactly 11.03%

Woa I actually got pretty close on this one! Wow these guys are making good stuff here. I'm goin to check them out as soon as I post this bad boy.

Thanks libbey!!

libbey, nlmartin and trxxpaxxs like this.
  10. shrek806

shrek806 Aspirant (222) Mar 1, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Oh. I'm just sad. We will build it better faster stronger

usofar and nlmartin like this.
  11. Auror

Auror Defender (642) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I'll post reviews tomorrow once i assemble notes... But who pairs a 14.5% bomber with another 10% beer?

12. Retail1LO

Ale Apothecary is unreal. They're like...a garage operation out of Oregon. I've had three beers from them. Sahalie, La Tache, and El Cuatro (brandy barrel aged Sahalie). Sahalie is freakin' awesome. Strangely enough, I found it on the shelf at Hunger Mountain Co-op in Vermont when I was last there in May. Amazing stuff. The 11.03% isn't even remotely present either. Great beer.

flexabull and KevSal like this.
  13. nlmartin

nlmartin Meyvn (1,468) Jul 26, 2005 Ohio

I know your pain! Sucked balls losing a box. It really rattled me.

14. Auror

Beer Trader

Drank both bottles marked as 'A' from Abraxel side by side with a friend. A1 is a bomber labeled as quite strong. A2 is what appears to be a 12oz. Reviews compiled from notes.

Appearance- A1 pours a dark black with a deep tan-colored head. Decent retention and good lacing. A2 also pours dark, but not quite as opaque as A1. Less head also.

Aroma- A1 has a ton of bitterness. Roasted malt, coffee, and hops. A2 is a bit less pungent, but as it warms, there's similar roasted flavors, but also some fruity notes. Blackberries and cherries mostly.

Taste- A1 is a beast. Very intense flavors of coffee, bitter chocolate, hops, with a light sweetness (bourbon?). A2 is an odd one. It's got much more chocolate and again these fruity notes including the ones mentioned above as well as plums. Not sure if this is yeast-derived or fruit added. Also some roast and hops like the first one.

Mouthfeel- A1 has more carbonation than A2, complements the beer nicely. A2 is a little slicker and softer. A1 has more evident alcohol, but it's a nice warming, not over the top.

Well this is an interesting pairing. Haven't quite put together why these two were paired. My buddy thinks A1 is BCBCS, but I don't think there is bourbon there. I don't really have a guess... some sort of hoppy coffee stout. The second one, we are leaning towards Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout since it's a 12oz, but it doesn't taste as blueberry pie-ish. There's a bit more bitterness.

The reveal- A1 is Rage from Greenbush Brewing (a 14.6% Black Ale). Pretty straight forward: Hoppy (very) Imperial Black ale with coffee. We pretty much pegged that. A2 is.... Goodnight Bodacious from Short's. Gah, fooled by Short's again. Bodacious is another hoppy imperial black ale. I think the hops/malt combo might have contributed to the fruity notes, but it's also possible the hops have faded a bit. If Short's release calendar is accurate, this was released in February. My friend and I both enjoyed it more than Rage though, which is interesting.

Drank one more last night I'll make a review for soon.

15. KevSal

Beer Trader

this stuff was insanely good. the last little bit of my glass i savored for quite some time. didnt leave a score but i would put this one around a near perfect 4.75

libbey likes this.
  16. Auror

Beer Trader

Picture from the previous review
    [​IMG]

Next review:
    Third beer of last night. Unmarked 12oz bottle. Did Abraxel send more from Short's?

Appearance- Pours a light golden color with brilliant clarity. Forgot to take a picture of this one, but it looks almost like a macro lager with some decent head. That's mostly a compliment. Bud Light Platinum???

Smell- ...definitely not Bud Light Platinum. Some serious hops in here. Abraxel has sent me a few hoppy beers, but this appears to be the first true IPA. Some alcohol detected as well, so this is definitely of the imperial strength variety.

Taste- Intense hoppy flavors. Grapefruit, pine, all the usual hoppy suspects. There's a biiig malt backbone though. This is balanced pretty nicely, and there's a sweetness to the malt that is unusual in most IIPAs. My first comparison is Dogfish Head 120 minute, but it's not quite as intense and the alcohol is dialed back a bit from that.

Mouthfeel- A bit oily, very full for an IPA, and the carbonation level is adequate.

So this is definitely a 10+% Imperial IPA. Well, I've had Double Crooked Tree from Dark Horse, and I don't think this is it (appearance is off and from my memory taste too). After doing some quick MI brewery browsing, a rice adjunct would make a lot of sense, so either Kuhnhenn DRIPA or TRIPA. This is pretty big, so i'll say Kuhnhenn TRIPA.

The reveal... Kuhnhenn TRIPA! I got one!

trxxpaxxs, nlmartin and abraxel like this.
  17. Benimaru

Benimaru Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Oklahoma

Whoever sent to the blind team in OK(i believe it was mikereaser) we have drank and reviewed all of the beers and all of the notes and pics(if there were any) are on ThirstyHerf's ipad. He is currently out of town with family and will hopefully be posting all of that when he gets back.

We have also packed our box for our target but I am not sure if Herf has shipped it yet or not. Someone has a box of delicious coming to them though.

soonerchamps and ThirstyHerf like this.
  18. libbey

libbey Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 British Indian Ocean Territory

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. Paul at Ale Apothacary is doing some incredible and innovative stuff. Sahalie is one if my favorite new beers from last year.

flexabull and KevSal like this.
  19. dougofthefuture

dougofthefuture Aspirant (270) Oct 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Glad everything made it ok. In general, I think they get better from here. I have three things to tell you -

1) I wanted to get a box shipped near the deadline, but a second box will be on its way soon. Box 1 should keep you busy for a while.

2) One of the bottles you have may be a bit difficult to clearly identify after removing the paper. I'll have to follow up with more details when you finish it.

3) All bottles are greater than or equal to 9.5%.

20. Cuzco

Beer Trader

Beer # 4

Brown paper bag with packaging tape and nothing else.

Pours a light golden color with minimal head. Like my hair there was no lacing to be found. 3.0

Nose is of malt, booze, faded hops, vanilla, booze and maybe a bit of oak? 3.5

Taste is a mirror image of the nose with a hint of something tart/sour. Maybe it was a wine barrel used in this brew? It finishes DRY! Very dry and an hint of bittering hops as we'll. I am getting lots of booze on this. It has to be a big beer. 12%+ I am thinking. 4.0

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for a beer of this size. 3.0

Overall I like it but I am not in love with it. I could see it being a great drunk dial/booty call type situation here.... 3.75

My guess? An imperial pale ale aged in white wine barrels! How is that for random?

Survey says: Surly Syx! Holy mind blown! I have had this beer twice before and did not remember it tasting like this at all. Thanks!

dougofthefuture likes this.
  21. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Blind Beer #4

12oz 14% (!) beauty poured into Delirium Tremens snifter…

[​IMG]

Appearance: Inky black with a wispy tan head. Small amount of tan lacing.

Smell: Bourbon and roasted malts, a bit of coffee.

Taste: Bourbon bomb. Coffee, nutty, sweet, vanilla, chocolate, oak all there. Lot of heat coming off this guy from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full-bodied. Adequate carb.

Drinkability: A real sipper. Alcohol and heat are high.

Overall: Excellent bourbon stout, but could stand to get a bit of age for the heat to die down.

A: 4.5, S: 4.5, T: 4.25, M: 4, O: 4.25

Pretty clear that I'm dealing with a bourbon barrel imperial stout here, but at 14% it is a monster. BCBS is the obvious choice, but this doesn't taste like BCBS. It's a little dryer and less syrupy. I know there was some 2012 batch variation, and this could be a 2011? I don't think so. I'm dealing with something else here. Off the top of my head I don't know many other 14% stouts, but I'll guess Bell's Black Note?

Reveal: Bourbon Barrel Plead the 5th (2011)! Finally! I've never managed to cross paths with this guy. Great beer. Surprised at the heat with 2 years of age on it, but it's tough to hide at 14%. Very similar to BCBS. Thanks brydeen!

trxxpaxxs, libbey and brydeen like this.
  22. dougofthefuture

Beer Trader

This is the second to last beer for me. 11 big blind beers in 16 days, and this one looks like it will be the biggest. Labeled 15%, it arrived with the electrical tape pealing back to reveal a Bruery cap. Also, it shows traces of maroon wax. I'm already pretty sure it is Melange 3. I hope I'm right.

A - A dark red/brown, bordering on black. It looks muddy but not thick. A one finger head dissipates within a few minutes. Honestly not a very pretty beer, which is its only downfall. 3

S - Yep, Melange 3. Black Tuesday sprinkled with awesomeness. Candy coated booze. Beer-liqueur. Nose burning alcohol in the best possible way. I love it. 4.5

T&M - The liqueur quality is there, but the white oak sap brings this down a notch to an actually approachable beer. Sweet for sure, but somehow balanced. Knowing that it is a blended beer, these flavors make sense. Otherwise, I wouldn't know how to categorize it. It is stout-like, but the caramel malt is way to prominent for it to be only a stout. Somehow earthy old ale qualities come through along with the Black Tuesday-ness. Carbonation is minimal, but just enough to give it some life. 4.5/4

O - This is one of my favorite beers. Where ideally Black Tuesday is split 30 ways, this one disappeared faster than almost every other blind beer we've had, split only two ways. I might be able to drink another. I shouldn't, because I'm totally drunk, but I love it. 4.75

Oh - the reveal: Melange 3

Thank you Retail1LO!

trxxpaxxs, libbey and Retail1LO like this.
  23. Retail1LO

Well...it's unfortunate it was a give away, but it doesn't change what it was. I'm glad you enjoyed it. One of my favorites. I split a Chocolate Rain 3 ways with a couple people this evening. Their high ABV stuff is among the best beer out there, to me.

dougofthefuture likes this.
  24. dougofthefuture

Beer Trader

I'm hoping it is finally changing a bit. When it came out, it tasted like a 35% ABV cleaning supply. Seemed fitting for this BIF.

25. dougofthefuture

Beer Trader

Indeed. Between Black Tuesday, Chocolate Rain, and Melange 3, I think I might choose the Melange 3.

26. sitarist

sitarist Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2009 Ohio

Kuhnhenn are doing some amazing things, you are a lucky man.

KevSal likes this.
  27. Cuzco

Beer Trader

beer #5 Shared with some co-workers and new found friends.

Brown paper bag wrapped 750 with packaging tape.

Pours jet black with a tan head that does not stick around long enough to pick up the bill. 4.0

Nose is dark malts and alcohol with a hint of heat.... Peppers you say???? I am curious to say the least... 4.0

Taste mimics the nose but the HEAT comes through in a beautiful way. This beer is spicy! And I love it. 4.5

mouthfeel is creamy and delicious. The exact mouthfeel I would want in this beer! 3.5

Overall I love it. I am thinking Mikkeller (sp?) Chipolte Porter but I am not sure. 4.25

Survey Says: Westbrook Mexican Cake!!! I love this beer! I need more!

Thanks for the taste!

28. Cuzco

Beer Trader

On a related yet terrifying side note about last night's tasting. A couple of young ladies we had met came out with us. Thank goodness I had unwrapped the beer before offering her a taste to see if she could identify it. She is deathly allergic to cinnamon!!! That would have been really bad if the Blind BIF ended up with REAL kill shot.

29. sholland119

sholland119 Poo-Bah (2,063) Sep 8, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

First and long overdue post in this thread. My box will be on its way tomorrow, following a delay known to Hophead101. Some vintage beers, some new beers, a couple of beers from small local brewers, a reasonable variety of styles, none reviewed by my target who has more reviews than I do. Whew!

Will touch down by the end of the week in a western state where my daughter recently taught science (an unhelpful clue) and which has many outposts of my favorite fast food burger chain (somewhat less unhelpful). Local food item and schwag will ship separately this week.

30. Cuzco

Beer Trader

Beer #5

22 oz bomber wrapped in brown paper bag and packaging tape.

Pours a light golden color with a fluffy white head that disappears quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass. 3.5

Smell is TART! What is this? A 22oz bomber sour??? I am very interested in this one...Wait a minute now it has taken a very different turn.... Now I am getting green apples and booze... Now I am confused but very thirsty! 4.0/3.5

Taste is green apples and booze. It is almost medicinal in the finish. It reminds me a bit of Brooklyn Concoction which isn't a good thing.... WTF is going on here. I am now getting a hint of gin on the finish?!?!?! What have you done to me Doug??? WHAT???? I am starting to dig this random monstrosity!!! 4.0

Mouthfeel is thin and effervescent. A bit hot as well. I am thinking this is around the 10% range. It all works for this beer somehow. 3.5

Overall, this is one of the strangest beers I have had in a LONG time but I am really digging it. I am not sure how I will feel after trying to finish the entire bottle on my own but for now it is very nice! 3.75

I have zero guess as to what this super freak of a beer is!

Survey Says: Epic Brewing Elder Brett Saison-Brett Golden Ale!! Malt beverage aged in wine barrels!!! I need to find more of this one! Thanks!!!

dougofthefuture and trxxpaxxs like this.
  31. usofar

Elder Brett is a collab with Crooked Stave. Really enjoyable and glad there are a few places around here that stock it routinely and that it continues to fly under the radar.

32. libbey

libbey Initiate (0) May 18, 2008 British Indian Ocean Territory

Blind #5

Laptop has shit the bed so I will be reviewing live on the fly. Also no pics. Sad panda.

22oz bottle poured into a CBS snifter.

A: The beer pours a dark cola brown with a large khaki head that holds amazing retention. A large fluffy cap leaves a trail of sticky lacing. 4.5

S: The nose is dominated by dark fruit malts. Plums and figs with a touch of leather. Candied toffee notes come forward as it warms. 4.25

T: Again big dark fruit notes mixing with a touch of leather/tobacco. ABV is very well integrated. A hint of oxidation shows up on the finish but it melds well with the base flavors. 4.25

M: The carbonation has held up wonderfully leaving a creamy full mouthfeel. A nice lingering of dark malt on the pallet with each sip. 4.25

O: Overall this is a great Barleywine that I'm thinking has seen some time in the cellar. It has aged wonderfully. 4.25

Guess: Pretty sure I haven't had this one but I'll go with some vintage gratitude 09-10.

Reveal: Schmaltz Genesis 15:15. That would explain all the dark fruit flavors I was getting. I remember having this one fresh and the barrel being way more in your face. Barrel notes have fallen off but this is still a tasty beer and a sneaky one at 13.4%

cbeer88 and trxxpaxxs like this.
  33. dougofthefuture

Beer Trader

That was the first bottle set aside for this BIF. One of my favorite beers new to me in the past year, and definitely a bit of a weird combination of flavors.

34. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Meyvn (1,310) Mar 5, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Is this week the week? I'm dying to read some reviews and to drink some blind brews. I have a huge excite in my knickers.

35. stupac2

stupac2 Zealot (518) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

THIS WEEK IS THE WEEK. Since you already know it's me I can send you the tracking # if you want.

ThirstyHerf and trxxpaxxs like this.
  36. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

That beer flew so far under the radar... bought a few to age but extra'd most away. Got one left, glad it is drinking nice...

trxxpaxxs and libbey like this.
  37. KevSal

Beer Trader

Time for another live blind review before the week starts!

cracked open #7, 9.2% 22oz bomber into my crux tulip

A- looks awesome, dark brown, with a hint of red. Nearly no head. I like it 4

S- tossing my nose in the tulip I get raisins and figs upfront with sweet malts and maybe some yeast. Smells sticky, maybe a quad? 4

T- big dark fruit sweetness upfront. Sweet malts, bit of peat, Dark fruits come around again to finish it off. Nice fruity flavor with some raisin. As it warms the flavors start to explode, good stuff! 4.25

M- on the thicker side for its size, alch nonexistent and good carbonation. Somewhat chewy. 4

O- this is good stuff! Goes down nice and easy and im happy I still got a half bottle left. I'm leaning toward a quad or something in the Belgian family, although I've discovered I'm not nearly as good at this I thought I was. As for the beer, no clue

And the reveal.... Silver city fat scotch ale!

Nice, this stuff is fantastic. I kept thinking to my self it may be a scotch ale but after skull splinter I kept thinking more Belgian especially with the dark fruits character. Scottish vs scotch ale hah! You got me good.

I've been after this one for quite some time! It definetly lives up to its reputation. Now that I know what style it is the peat is coming through fabtastically and loving it

Thanks again libbey!

flexabull, trxxpaxxs and libbey like this.
  38. ThirstyHerf

ThirstyHerf Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2010 Oklahoma

Tasty blind beers going out to a mystical creature today.

Benimaru likes this.
  39. dougofthefuture

Beer Trader

A swag box is going out today. The twist is that instead of swag, the box contains more beer. Sorry for breaking the rules, but this is a better deal.

ThirstyHerf likes this.
  40. brydeen

brydeen Aspirant (210) Dec 18, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

Box landed today from our gracious BIF host. 11 beers in total (3 marked extra). I'm thirsty already.

A Cigar City snifter and a pilsner glass marked Fe XV anniversary ale(?)

A box of 8 mini bottles of various sauces, which is great because I'm a condiment whore.

And last but not least, some of Hershey, PA's famous chocolate treats are re-solidifying in my fridge right now. The licorice bites have already been busted open to help me unpack the box. Can't wait to get cracking on these brews. First few are going to the fridge now to get ready.

Thanks Greg!

trxxpaxxs, libbey and dougofthefuture like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.