Bloomberg: 2 beer brands are booming while the rest are going flat

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by dennis3951, Nov 30, 2018.

1. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (834) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

drtth, AZBeerDude72 and JackHorzempa like this.
  2. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (130) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

I’m not upset to see Modelo doing well, as I find it much preferable to Corona if I’m in the mood for a “beer with a lime.” Negra isn’t a bad option either.

Mich Ultra, though, is something I will never understand. Why pay more for a lighter light beer? Seems the carb and calorie savings over, say, Miller Lite are relatively small. Miller has 1 more calorie and .6g more carbs per 12oz serving and is substantially cheaper and better tasting. That’s marketing for you, I guess.

3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,387) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I actually enjoy Modelo (did I just say that out loud :grimacing:)

4. riegler

riegler Initiate (77) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

"It's quality over quantity"...and he's referencing Mich Ultra??? Pour one of those in a glass and you'll notice what appears to be an an off colored hard seltzer water. It is literally the lightest colored beer I've ever come across.

5. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (249) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

It's kind of that DFH model we heard awhile back. They don't want to price their items any cheaper in fear of having a bad cheap beer perception.

And are we really trading up? Consumers are just stupid. We inherently believe if something's more expensive, it has to be better. Show me that Modelo is harder or more expensive to brew than regular Corona? They just found a product with better margins with great marketing. Cheap product are not a sin here like marketing suggests.

And has anyone ever seen someone drink just one Michelob ultra? The healthy types that this is geared toward is also a farce. But hey it's working

Modelo is priced a tad cheaper than Corona, and I too tend to like it more than Corona (in fact, I hate Corona. So this bring slightly better is not saying much). But I've never really perceived it as a great deal or a great product. They do mention increased distro as a big part of their growth. We know how BP is doing in that regard. It's almost false numbers in a sense.

#5 Oktoberfiesta, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    russpowell likes this.
  6. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (320) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Here a nice article on Mich Ultra https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2018/10/3/michelob-ultra-unrated

I know a lot of people who drink it. It's very popular with active people. The healthy types this is geared to is not at all a farce. You may not know any but tons exist. My uncle and father in law also drink it exclusively...my uncle because he's watching his weight but still wants beer and my FIL because of certain medication restrictions his doctor told him one low carb beer from time to time would be his best choice if he was going to drink at all.

drtth, laketang, surfcaster and 2 others like this.
  7. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (242) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

I never understood the appeal of light beer from a calorie/carb perspective. Active people are just the kind of people who can afford to drink regular calorie beer and not worry about it, they put in the effort to be healthy through exercise and diet. They are turning back the clock and turning physical labor into leisure time. Their choice of beer isn't what's keeping them fit. Low calorie beer to me seems mostly aimed at people who aren't active and who think diet items will get them fit. I.e a short cut to healthy living without the work put in. But even so I get the sense that the low carb beers are in fact popular with the active crowd. They work out to an extent that no regular person does and as a reward they drink the lightest tasting beer out there. I can't help but think that the active people are cheating themselves and the out of shape people are fooling themselves when drinking light beer.

Lahey, vinylfiend1, Hatzilla and 8 others like this.
  8. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (249) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

^As we know, ABV and calories go hand in hand. Miller lite looks to have nearly the same nutritional data as mgd ultra. It's all just marketing. Coors light is close too, with Bud light double the carbs but still just within the 6gram range. It's all just marketing crap. It may have a very small advantage. I guess that's what puts them on top lol.

I guess the true health nuts care about 3g of carbs when they have their one nightly mgd ultra vs 1 Bud light. That1-20 calorie difference will be their edge over the competition.

Like @Crusader, it just feels like alot of wasted effort. So many great craft pilsners in the sub 150 calorie range.

Crusader likes this.
  9. Sweatshirt

Trader

It's about not taking back as many of the calories they are outputting and not putting too much junk in and feeling a setback from the goals set. Same reason most active people make better food choices consistently than sedantary Joe. Most of the active people I know basically eat and drink to best fuel the activity. Being active is the reward. The Mich ultra is to relax with friends and not feel too bad about it.

surfcaster likes this.
  10. Crusader

As a Swede most people I come across aren't obese. Most are normal sized people. Some are bigger, a few are obese. Yet the normal sized people drink Export strenght beer (5.2% abv, calories around 150-170 per 12oz, and carbs to match). They don't turn obese from drinking what would be considered full calorie beer in the US. Yet at the same time they are not body builders. They live normal lives and have normal weights. If someone goes the extra mile and becomes active, why would they not be able to afford more full calorie beer as a reward for their hard work?

GreenBayBA and dennis3951 like this.
  11. Sweatshirt

Trader

They might be able to. I'm not saying they couldn't. It's do they want to. The more into exercise people become the more most seem to micro manage macros and calories in an attempt to optimize results. The more they start to care about things they maybe could ignore. Most people serious into it don't consider that a reward for third hard work, they consider it a step away from thier goals. I'm still active but used to be very very active and my thought was that I'll be damned if someone is going to fuel better than me. Getting to that extra mile made not taking in extra useless calories the reward. I've done some wild dietary shit back in the day in the name of meeting my fitness goals. I know competitive runners that micro manage even harder than I ever did.

Crusader likes this.
  12. Crusader

Interesting insight into the mindset of someone working towards an ideal. However, I'm not talking about reaching an individual ideal state, I'm talking about keeping a normal weight or being fit. Someone who is active and fit will still be active and fit even if they drink full calorie beer. An inactive unfit person who drinks light beer will still be inactive and unfit. That's the way it works.

13. Sweatshirt

Trader

I agree. The funny thing is when people even start to be active they want to do what the pros do. Want to bodybuild? Grab Arnold's routine and eat chicken and rice ad nauseum. No milk because milk is for babies. Its not the best way but it's what people do. There are a large percentage of fitness enthusiasts that are doing whatever someone more fit is doing. Right now that seems to have swung back to keto, IF or something of the like and Mich ultra falls into that mold and is marketed as such.

We are completely on the same page by the way I'm just telling you what I've exoerienced and what I see happening now and why I think Mich ultra is popular.

tzieser, meefmoff and Crusader like this.
  14. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,343) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

But not perfectly - final gravity and, with "light" beers, the use of enzymes to convert non-fermentable sugars into fermentables ones, can affect the ratio between a beer's alcohol content and caloric content.

Just look at a few of MC's beers:

Coors Banquet - 5.0 ABV - 147 cal.
    Pilsner Urquell - 4.4 ABV - 149 cal.
    Miller Lite - 4.2 ABV - 96 cal.
    Molson Canadian Light - 3.9 ABV, 120 cal.

elohim, JimKal, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  15. Crusader

Understood. But that is also why I think it is apt to claim that they are cheating themselves when they could drink regular beer. If I was indifferent towards the subject I wouldn't offer up my opinion, but when I see people being robbed of the enjoyment of beer, and needlessly at that, I feel compelled to speak up.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Lahey, meefmoff and Sweatshirt like this.
  16. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (230) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I saw Mich Ultra Gold and the Gold part intrigued me but I ultimately passed on it. Modelo is just as good as some of those German Lagers that people praise.

Bitterbill likes this.
  17. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (214) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Miller Lite being better tasting than Mich Ultra is obviously subjective. I may or may not agree, but I know plenty of people that think Mich Ultra tastes great precisely because there is almost NO taste. Miller Lite may have MORE flavor, but many folks want as little flavor as possible...go figure!

elohim, BJC, JackHorzempa and 2 others like this.
  18. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (130) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

You’re right. I guess I should have said it has more flavor, not necessarily speaking to the quality of that flavor to different palates. Hey, I like the taste of water myself.

Hoos78 likes this.
  19. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (8,788) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

my Sister's ex is on a Keto diet & apparently this the only beer he can have & still not much. Apparently he can drin the shit outta some hard booze though. It is working for him, he has lost 30 lbs. I would probably just stay fat, doing alright, but it wouldn't hurt to drop about 20...

20. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (672) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Had modelo for the first time a few weeks ago. From a can. I thought it had a water like body and very mild taste. I went back to my full body tasty High Life.

If I did not have a 12 pack in me already I might have found it a bit better than what I did. Yup, it was a long day of drinking.

Enjoy

21. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,115) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I've been drinking Modelo Negro before I was of legal drinking age, that stuff is fantastic. Anyone who says otherwise has never drank it or is paid to disagree.

22. rgordon

rgordon Champion (858) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Yeah, but the ads are a bit obnoxious. All those bouncy shiny people. When I was like that I made @Crusader's choice and drank damned good beer. Or a double bacon cheeseburger with a diet coke!

JimKal likes this.
  23. Crusader

I'm just an ordinary average guy but in Sweden ordinary average guys and girls drink regular macro beer, not light beer. From this I deduce that other factors decide whether someone gains weight or not (but what those factors are is a discussion for another forum).

I recently revisited MGD (which in Europe is currently being brewed by MolsonCoors at their Staropramen brewery in the Czech republic, go figure) and I was struck by how light tasting it was. Then again if light beer is viewed as the very definition of what beer is in a particular market, then any degree of increase in flavor will be likely to be percieved and possibly rejected.

I find it interesting to consider how a new beer drinker in the US, vs one in Mexico, vs one in Germany, vs one in Sweden will be conditioned to accept different definitions of what a beer is: American light beer, Mexican lager, German pilsner or Swedish Export. For someone drinking IPAs they might all be viewed as pale yellow beers but for most beer drinkers there is a difference between them and where you are born and raised decides (to an extent) which of them you drink and which of them you enjoy drinking. That to me is fascinating.

24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,710) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Fifty (or so) years ago a British beer drinker would consider a cask ale to be "beer" but now the top selling beer in the UK is Carling Lager (an AAL beer) so... go figure!?!

Cheers!

Lahey, Bitterbill, nc41 and 1 other person like this.
  25. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (221) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I think one of the main things your overlooking is the fact that portion sizes here in the States are vastly larger than almost anything that comes out of Europe, and we love to deep fry everything in fat. First thing that comes up on Google when you search for average weight for men, is an article from ABC News from a couple years ago that said the average weight for a male in the US over 20 years old had gone up 15lbs. (to 195.7lbs.) in the last 20 years, and I would not be surprised if the average is now 200lbs. I would also imagine the European definition of an average guy/girl is completely different from what it is here in the States.

26. 4truth

4truth Aspirant (239) Jan 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Give Bohemia a try. Better IMO and not really even close.

tzieser likes this.
  27. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (742) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Many of the people that drink Mich Ultra prefer it to other things. Not sure why folks have a hard time accepting that. Light lager is the number one seller world wide. And the folks I know that drink it don't feel they are being cheated.

Sure it is marketed well and folks will continue to buy it.

nc41 likes this.
  28. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,630) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Me too, it's my usual when Enchiladas are on the menu. Sometimes a Dos Equis, but the amber can be a distraction when crisp and clean is called for.

Bitterbill and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  29. nc41

Trader

I suspect a good deal of the people who like beer just want crisp and clean. So I'm just guessing here , but most beer drinkers there are like beer drinkers here, Bud Light and the like are just fine. I thought a saw that Snow was the number one selling beer in the world, so it's a Chinese light lager as well. The world likes light lagers, even if the 5% or so here just tolerate them.

30. tzieser

tzieser Savant (994) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

If I’m going the Mexican route then I usually go with Carta Blanca, Tecate, Mexicali or Pacifico first, then Modelo Especial. Modelo is nice but just not my favorite of the Mexican AALs.

Bohemia, Victoria and Model Negro are nice beers too but they really aren’t the same style of beer.

meefmoff likes this.
  31. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,385) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

When the wife and I go to Germany we go on the Beer and Schnitzel diet. Seriously, 3 German meals a day, Bier at lunch and dinner. We lose 2 or 3 pounds in a couple of weeks. How does that work? No snacks between meals. Walk 4 to 10 miles a day.

One of our German friends spent 3 weeks in Canada with mutual friends. She said they drove everywhere. She stated that she gained weight.

It isn't just the beer that causes weight gain.

Redrover likes this.
  32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,201) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Really good on draught.

nc41 likes this.
  33. OKbrew89

OKbrew89 Crusader (729) May 13, 2013 Oklahoma
    Trader

I don't get Michelob Ultra, but I do enjoy a Modelo with a lime during the summer months. The ebb and flow will undoubtedly give us some surprises.

34. nc41

Trader

Marketing is always a key, commercials that just nails their demographic window for that particular beer. There's no other way to explain Bud Light, it's not ever all that great when compared to other light lagers and it certinly pales to most AAL. I don't like it but I'd be as happy as hell to collect the money it brings in.

surfcaster likes this.
  35. MoreBeer4me

MoreBeer4me Aspirant (269) Aug 25, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

I did buy one of those giant cans of Modelo in July. Its still sitting in the garage fridge. That's likely the reason behind their spike in sales.

36. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (272) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

When you look at those Michelob Ultra ads, it's important to remember that they're not trying to sell to people who are like the people in their ads, they're selling to people who want to be like the people in their ads.

37. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (214) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

Thanks for checking in Don Draper!!

38. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (131) Feb 13, 2018 New York

You're not alone, bigboy. I like it too.

drtth and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  39. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (834) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

That's no big deal there is a load of BAs who rave about PBR. Modelo is a much better brew than PBR.

40. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (385) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I went to Germany, walked a ton and still gained weight.(and I walked a LOT) Their sit down restaurant food didn't seem any healthier than ours, but there were far less fast food places. People didn't leave work at lunch to go get McDonalds. This probably saves them a ton of health issues.