Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Blue Lobster Broke Ass Hobbie

Discussion in 'New England' started by jomobono, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicirus

Vicirus Aspirant (257) Oct 8, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This whole situation is really terrible and it's been difficult and plain sad that my favorite brewery has devolved into this. I can't believe the owner would distribute this beer, with that label, and think it wouldn't have a negative impact on their brand. And for what, a last jab at David when he's clearly moved on? A cash grab of maybe $5,000?

With that said, I know the amount of work that went into this beer and how proud David was of it so I'd like to get my hands on some. I have the rest of his "collected works" cellaring so this (with stripped away labels) would look nice next to the others. Im doubtful the owner would sell these in his backyard, hence distributing to Nassua, but has anyone seen it in the seacoast area?

I wasn't aware of the bretted stout either. That didn't see bottles did it? Sadly I don't know if I'll make it to whym to try it before its gone.

2. T-RO

T-RO Aspirant (217) Nov 9, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Hampton Falls Village Market, 82 Lafayette Rd, Hampton Falls NH got it on Thursday I believe. (Plus 10% off all craft beer through Monday 7:00 PM)

3. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Initiate (0) May 24, 2009 Kentucky

Blue Lobster has jumped the shark. I look forward to Paul's Boutique making a comeback proper.

sleepydave likes this.
  4. Jacob007

Jacob007 Aspirant (217) Sep 18, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

They messed up and their down fall will be soon, I am calling it all done in a year.

sandman3479 likes this.
  5. ElGallo

ElGallo Champion (810) Sep 26, 2009 New Hampshire

Does anyone know how much these bottles are selling for? I don't approve of what they did with the label, but I do approve of Dave's brewing, so I'd like to try it.

6. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

$13 at the beer store in NH.

Gosox8787 likes this.
  7. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Meyvn (1,048) Jan 24, 2009 New Hampshire

I bought mine for $13.75.

8. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Ouch, $1.00/liquid ounce?

9. sandman3479

sandman3479 Devotee (411) Dec 8, 2006 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Was thinking the same thing.

10. Mikeypnh

Mikeypnh Zealot (553) Jul 8, 2013 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Haha I remember someone saying this a while back so I had to look it up and see when it was. They made it a few more months than you thought! Blue lobster is done, right on the verge of deciduous opening up.

Gosox8787, sandman3479 and unclekeith like this.
  11. mkabull

mkabull Disciple (385) Nov 2, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

He pretty much called that.

12. AshlandNacho

AshlandNacho Aspirant (228) Apr 14, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

FT: Blue Lobster growlers
    ISO: shelf space

Brian_Burke, huddyball and ICCULIS like this.
  13. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (245) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Good. I stopped by around September last year because I was in the area and needed a laugh. Had a BBA english strong that was okay and everything else was terrible. The hoppy offerings had fallen off so much with the brewer switch is was crazy to think what had been there. Restores my faith in people (at least in NH) having some idea of the quality of what they are drinking.

14. rjp217

rjp217 Meyvn (1,244) Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Sad to see a local business go down but the karma was strong here.

15. RKing44

RKing44 Disciple (392) Mar 6, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Dave,

Make Wachusett Blueberry or you're fired. We're not trying to be apart of that great beer fad. We'll be fine without you.

16. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Aspirant (245) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Someone asking if they had any bottles of Broke Ass Hobbie left on thier FB page gave me a chuckle.

ElGallo, Mikeypnh, Gosox8787 and 2 others like this.
  17. jlordi12

jlordi12 Devotee (408) Jun 8, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I can only imagine what a bottle of this bad boy would go for in the trade market. I'm sure the price has risen like a Billy Ripken error card

18. AshlandNacho

AshlandNacho Aspirant (228) Apr 14, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

The sad part is at one point they were pumping out good beers and really showed a lot of promise. I really enjoyed Gold Claw and and Black Claw and their collab with Prairie was on-point. Another b-school lesson on how to sink a promising business I guess. At least we'll always have AB in Merrimack (haha)

19. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (237) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

So trying not to feel schadenfreude about the demise of BL...but screw it - beer karma is for realz!

Auror, sandman3479 and owend like this.
  20. ICCULIS

ICCULIS Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2011 Massachusetts

I still have a growler of (SleepyDave's) Blue Lobster Ragged Neck Rye (7.4%) chilling in the basement beer fridge. Been way in back for quite some time now. I never intended to hold on to it but that's just how the cards fall sometimes. Wonder if it has held up???

21. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Aspirant (212) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

It's hard to be excited about a business going under. I went there twice after what happened with about a year in between visits. The head brewer was really nice and he actually remembered me and pieces of the conversation we had a year prior. Hope he at least lands on his feet somewhere else.

22. AdamsDTD

AdamsDTD Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Everyone there was always friendly and willing to answer questions when I visited. I regularly made visits prior to the switch in brewers, but only went once or twice after. I wouldn't say the product was bad after that, just not the same. I always had the situation in the back of my mind too. Other great breweries along 95 that I'd prefer to visit on trips between Boston and Portland.

23. benbking

benbking Disciple (305) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I will say I enjoyed their bourbon barrel porter and the chocolate milk stout they had a few months ago. Visits were less frequent and growler purchases event less frequent on visits made once the Brewer change was made. I can't wait for Dave's new place to open their doors though. One thing I always enjoyed about the actual location of Blue Lobster was the easy stop in and their willingness to welcome my toddler. On the other hand, it's not a shock that they closed.

24. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,456) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

sucks for the new brewer. have to say though, after they screwed over dave like that, i don't think the business failure speaks badly of the current head brewer. doubt they really let him show his full talent. hopefully he finds something good after this.

yasky likes this.
  25. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (309) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

Where did Ian end up?

26. Jacob007

Jacob007 Aspirant (217) Sep 18, 2012 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

Told yea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.