News Blue Moon's brewer launching marijuana-infused 'beer'

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by M-Fox24, Mar 29, 2018.

1. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (756) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Blue Moon's brewer launching marijuana-infused 'beer'

2. Curry

Curry Initiate (132) Apr 10, 2003 Montana

My only question is, Why?

dcotom, CrimeDog and Balareon like this.
  3. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (548) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Interesting.
    I definitely want to track some down when it hits market.

4. moshea

moshea Devotee (434) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Big business cashing on on an existing trend. Based on what I have heard there is a large variety of marijuana drinks on the market already.

beertunes likes this.
  5. Balareon

Balareon Initiate (133) Mar 1, 2018 England

As someone who has 0 desire to ever get high.. I have no idea

6. moshea

Beer Trader

Wondering this will get nuked as this product is not beer
    I am guessing that you drink alcohol if you are here correct? So you must have some desire to get at least a little high on alcohol.

You may not want to get high on marijuana infused products, but I bet at least once in your life you have craved to get at least a little high on alcohol

fehrminator and rather like this.
  7. M-Fox24

Beer Trader

8. moshea

Beer Trader

From the same article you quoted "The drinks, served chilled and initially only available in Colorado this fall, will contain no alcohol"

I promise, there are a myriad of THC infused drinks on the market in many states in this country

rather likes this.
  9. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (827) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Forgive me for being crass, but all I could think when I read this was, "Is it even possible for this dude to be a bigger douche?"

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  10. moshea

Beer Trader

From the same article you quoted "The drinks, served chilled and initially only available in Colorado this fall, will contain no alcohol"

I promise, there are a myriad of THC infused drinks on the market in many states in this country

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  11. M-Fox24

Beer Trader

12. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Disciple (351) Nov 23, 2017 California

Ya, THC-infused non-alcoholic beer is pretty specific, haven't seen any of those around. If they do it right, they'll be the standard, especially with big beer money backing. A company out here called Sprig came out with a great line of THC-infused sodas, and they've really taken off.

13. Balareon

Surprisingly enough? No. I actually hate the feeling of being tipsy or buzzed based off of the few times I've drank too much. When it comes to beer I just really freaking love how it tastes.

rgordon and moshea like this.
  14. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,253) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

This was on the morning news here in AZ. They are claiming this new beer will have ZERO hangover and drinks like a normal beer with normal effects on you. We shall see but if they actually make a beer that results in NO hangover that would result in massive sales LOL. The downside is anyone who works will now show up with drugs in system and that is bad news if you get tested and fired over it. But who knows, is this the future of beer?

15. BayAreaJoe

I find that you don't get hangovers from drinking THC-infused drinks; but man, a couple of hours after drinking, napping is pretty much imminent.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  16. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (580) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I would rather just drink some THC infused lemonade at a fraction of the cost and then enjoy a high quality beer.

Sounds like combining low THC with bad beer.

So essquently they are taking a NA beer and adding THC instead?

Gajo74 and Steve_Studnuts like this.
  17. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,253) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I am curious how this plays out, should be fun to watch. :stuck_out_tongue: Curious how many others will be putting these out fast to catch the wave.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  18. readyski

readyski Aspirant (244) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

And somewhere the tobacco big boys are taking notice since it looks like Blue Moon is beating them to the THC party. Personally I agree with @GetMeAnIPA - I prefer to drink quality beer with my quality THC intake.

19. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,258) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Villa no longer works for MillerCoors (despite the wording of the thread's subject line) having announced his retirement at the beginning of the year:
    Although his Linkedin page still lists Blue Moon Brewing Co. as "current".
    According to the BREWBOUND article on this announcement, it will be produced by a start-up called Ceria Beverages:

BayAreaJoe and DonicBoom like this.
  20. Lahey

Lahey Aspirant (289) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Man, cheech and chong movies are gonna need some serious touch ups to keep up with the times (edit vape pens in for doobies/weed beers for normal drinks)

rgordon and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  21. BasterdInABasket

BasterdInABasket Aspirant (247) Nov 8, 2010 Wisconsin

Drugs are bad. I’ll stick with alcohol and coffee.

22. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,920) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

The buzz from alcohol and pot are very different, so not a direct replacement.

23. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,050) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'd drink it. Is this draft only or packaged? That would be a sketchy can to trade :wink:.

24. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (314) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

This seems like a pretty sketchy claim. I have a fairly high tolerance from years of excessive imbibing and I certainly notice a high resulting from a single 12 oz serving of most any craft beer. What are your drinking habits that allow you to really freaking love how it tastes without getting any buzz?
    Also do you have any old playboys you can spare, now that you are done with the articles?

Gajo74 likes this.
  25. Balareon

I'm kind of confused at what the last part of your post is referencing. And honestly, drinking one beer I do get a little buzz obviously, and I just wait for it to pass. Still not a fan of the feeling but beer tastes so good that I'm willing to live with it.

26. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (314) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

The last part was a play on an old US joke about only reading playboy (a magazine known for its nude photos) for the articles, which strikes me as similar to the idea of only liking beer for it's taste. But to be clear, you are saying that you drink one beer - presumably slowly - and then wait for the effect to pass, unhappily, and then possibly drink another beer?

27. bbtkd

Premium Member

The whole pot legalization that is driving such products is real tenuous, and it's only a matter of time before the feds take action to enforce the federal laws that have not changed. It was mostly the liberal administrations which allowed it, just like they allowed sanctuary cities/states.

Banks are still prohibited by federal law from handling known drug money, making pot a cash-only business. Don't know how that could play out with beer - might banks refuse liquor store business if it's known what they're selling? What about banking for the brewery?

Also, good point about employer drug tests. Wonder how many folks have vacationed in states where it's been "legalized" and then come back home, failed a drug test at work, and been fired?

28. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,814) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

bbtkd likes this.
  29. CrimeDog

CrimeDog Aspirant (248) Dec 31, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Not a fan of weed beer....

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  30. zid

zid Savant (925) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Since these are (so-called) "non-alcohol" beers, then they fall under the umbrella of beer as categorized by this website.

I'm having a hard time understanding the audience for this besides for the novelty value. Since "non-alcohol" beers don't taste like "ordinary" beers (for lack of a better word), why on earth would I want a beer that tastes like a non-alcohol beer but still provides the sensation of being under the influence of something? Just stick to the "real" thing.

I'm wondering who would find an "non-alcohol Imperial" barrel-aged stout appealing... assuming that it won't taste like an ordinary imperial stout. But then again, craft drinkers are buying a "bourbon barrel-aged then cinnamon bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout"... so we're already living the parody.

I suppose some people might be interested in these for the calorie difference... don't care too much about the taste... and still want to feel under the influence... and don't want pot soda... and don't want cheap vodka. I give up. I know NA beer is a big market. I bet not getting drunk accounts for some of that appeal though. But clearly... There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in my philosophy.

@jesskidden , correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that this is a legal nightmare though... to have a product that's labeled "beer" (or NA beer!) or resembles beer, but intoxicates via a "marijuana formula."

31. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Disciple (308) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

In most cases you'd have to be injured on the job before they would ever drug test you. I'm sure there's exceptions, but I don't really see this being an issue.

BigIslandfarmer likes this.
  32. Balareon

Basically, but I wouldn't say unhappy. I'm not sitting there mad about the effect of the beer. It's more like I'm sitting there thinking "alright, how long do I have to wait for this to pass?" Also I suck at drinking things slowly because I'm that kind of person where if I like something I have to consume it quickly.

33. jmdrpi

No hangovers. As I get older, I now feel sluggish the next morning even if I never get "drunk", but just from having 4 or 5 beers over the course of a Saturday night.

But I also agree that every NA beer I've tried has tasted like crap.

34. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,293) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

If people like the taste of this non alcoholic beer (s) it will be a huge hit. If not, people will gravitate to the THC containing drinks that do. Fwiw, friends have shared the thc containing root beer is good. Seems like a decent business gamble, imo.

I dont get stoned anymore but if I did and they could brew a tasty thc containing beer, I'd imbibe. Do I expect this to taste like a quality beer, no, but if...

35. readyski

readyski Aspirant (244) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Of course all that becomes moot when we finally come out of the dark (THC) prohibition.

36. bbtkd

Premium Member

Plenty of jobs and industries where they happen more frequently, such as pilots, bus drivers, etc. Granted, many industries don't do them much.

37. bbtkd

Premium Member

Won't happen until we have demoscats in power again, so not for a while. Even then, it might be prescription THC not medical pot, and not THC beer.

38. BayAreaJoe

The other major point which hasn't been revealed or discussed is the price. THC soda is $9 per 12oz. can. Would this be priced similarly, or would it even be a little higher since I'm assuming it's a more involved manufacturing process? Just how much will it take off if you have to drop $36 for a 4-pack or $54 for a 6-pack?

39. jmdrpi

Unless they can get a coalition with the libertarian types on the right. Which in theory shouldn't be hard considering the costs to the criminal justice system are ridiculous to regulate something less dangerous than alcohol. But social change is slow. I don't smoke, but as a taxpayer it's ridiculous.

Yes, here in the PA, the medical laws set to go into effect does not allow the plant. Something patients could grow in their garden is a no-go, have to buy it in processed form. All about the money again.

BigIslandfarmer, Squire and bbtkd like this.
  40. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,838) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Money, taxes, and control, giving politicians something to mouth on about while avoiding their responsibility to take action on real pressing problems. I'm informed this a weed that can literally be grown in a pot (pun intended) on a windowsill.