Bolero Snort (in NJ) ready to go!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by NJOssie, Nov 27, 2012.

1. NJOssie

NJOssie Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 New Jersey

Congrats to some really great guys! Cheers Bob!

[​IMG]

Crookdrain, sandman3479 and BirdFlu like this.
  2. brooklynbrews

brooklynbrews Initiate (186) Jan 21, 2010 Uzbekistan

good luck guys!

3. beertography

beertography Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2007 New Jersey

awesome!

NJOssie likes this.
  4. gregkoko

gregkoko Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2010 New York

Great news. Can't have enough quality breweries in NJ

ESeab and NJOssie like this.
  5. beerassociate

beerassociate Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2011 New Jersey

Just got my first sixer of Blackhorn, getting cold in the fridge right now, can't wait!!

ufmj and brooklynbrews like this.
  6. eagles7251

eagles7251 Initiate (78) Sep 29, 2009 New Jersey

Looking forward to trying some Bolero Snort at the AC Beerfest.

7. Berndondervin

Berndondervin Initiate (65) Apr 5, 2015 New Jersey

These guys have been putting out some creative, tasty beers recently. Had the OVB Orange Creamsicle IPA last night and was seriously surprised by how good this was. Got a smooth citrus up front, then followed the lactose to give that creamsicle experience, finishing with a nice little resinous touch. Keep up the good work, guys.

HermitDan likes this.
  8. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (277) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

What is thread may never die.

On topic: I loved OVB and enjoyed the lemon meringue one even more! Great stuff lately, BS.

HermitDan and Berndondervin like this.
  9. Berndondervin

Berndondervin Initiate (65) Apr 5, 2015 New Jersey

Agreed, lemon meringue was great too. Wish I could double like for the GOT reference.

kthoag likes this.
  10. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,972) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I agree with you 100% I drank a bunch of these over the 4th of July holiday and thought they were great. I also really enjoyed LaTaureau Tripel and We're Bucked.

Berndondervin likes this.
  11. Dschwartz83

Dschwartz83 Initiate (105) Feb 1, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

I feel these guys deserve a lot of credit. They took all the criticism they were getting, listened, and started putting out really creative and great tasting beers. IMO, the product is getting better and better every release.

Well done guys!

12. beertoro

beertoro Aspirant (208) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

I enjoyed the "I Ain't Afraid of No Bulls" and the OVB so far. They got a really bad rap for a while, and didn't really start to try them until about a month ago. They had a beer on tap at The Chubby Pickle that was pretty nice.

13. beertoro

Anyone had OVB in the past few days? Just cracked my last can and damn, that got better with a few weeks time. Really getting that vanilla bean. It's reduced the citrusy outburst and combined really well. Not sure if the beer I had before it had an effect or what, but this last can was golden.

Berndondervin and Megamanmmx like this.
  14. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,396) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I had one over weekend and agree that the citrus bite when extremely fresh has faded a bit. I prefer it fresher, but either way it's still delicious. I still have 2 or 3 cans and will probably be drinking them this coming weekend, so we shall see what another week does, if anything.

Berndondervin likes this.
  15. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,396) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

My experience with BS has been a bit of a roller coaster ride. Some ups and down along the way, but right now I'm on my way up hoping there are no steep drops in sight.

First I tried their Razbullied Rye last summer. This beer tasted like butter pecan. Given the style, I was not going to write them off after one bad experience.

Their next offering to hit the shelves near me was Moovember Milk Stout, and it was phenomenal. I really hope this is a seasonal that comes back.

Strawbully Fields then pulled me back into the wrong direction as that had some odd smells like melted plastic and dirt, with a muted earthy and musty flavor that I did not enjoy.

Then came the most recent offerings.

Unfortunately I missed Lemon Bullringue, but OVB, Kow Lime Pie, I Ain't Aftaid of No Bulls and We're Bucked have all been very good to excellent. For me, this brewery is on a great run right now. They're bringing some well done unique offerings to the market and I hope it continues.

darehulk112 and Berndondervin like this.
  16. tinkfist

tinkfist Initiate (0) May 11, 2016 New Jersey

Finally saw their stuff down at Farmingdale Liquors and picked up some Rotatabull. Very nice! They had OVB and Lemon on the shelf as well that I'll try next time. Why are these guys so low profile?

17. EnthusedAboutBeer

EnthusedAboutBeer Zealot (565) May 13, 2013 New Jersey

Their early offerings were mostly average or sub par (in my opinion) and I think their logo/label art didn't help either so for a while people wrote them off but over the past year or so they've really been improving

18. beertoro

Negative PR in the first year - dealing with infections, bad customer feedback, not so great beer.

To the craft beer rookie now coming into the NJ scene, Bolero has some great offerings, as long as you make sure you are getting some of their 2016 beer. I've seen some of their 2015's still on the shelves of some places, and don't let my curiousity wander too far.

There are still quite a few people that still swear off Bolero. Thankfully, I'm not one of them.

RobNewton likes this.
  19. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Disciple (314) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Gypsy/contract brewed, their early stuff especially the year round stuff was pedestrian at best, labels weren't great, no taproom to visit, etc.

They're on the right road. I hope they hollow out their own space personally.

20. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I enjoyed the two new beers they just released in cans. Solid.

RobNewton likes this.
  21. tinkfist

tinkfist Initiate (0) May 11, 2016 New Jersey

Thanks for the run down everyone. The labels are still, eh, but that does not affect the experience for me. It's NJ, so I'll support it, but the price point was a little higher compared to what I'd otherwise get, so that may be the unsustainable part.

22. kthoag

Trader

I have really taken a liking to Bull Pop, bought and drank 4 bottles or so. Rotatabull 004 was solid (001 was still my favorite though) and Lemon Bullringue is a favorite. Super excited for the apple pie!

DrStiffington likes this.
  23. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,227) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I had a bunch of their stuff early and wrote them off.
    I am ready to give them another try.

24. tynian16

tynian16 Disciple (332) Oct 23, 2015 New York
    Premium

They are not the greatest brewery in the world but they have gotten better. The beers have gone from undrinkable to drinkable with the occasional really good beer.

25. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (642) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I will have to revisit myself as I did not care for the few I tried early on. And they really need to do away with using "Bull" in the name of every single beer. It's kind of juvenile IMO and the names can only get more ridiculous.

mikeburd1128 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  26. garfscores

garfscores Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2012 Connecticut

Meh. With other options (Magnify, Brix City, Alementary) why buy a subpar beer for a higher price? I don't think I've loved any Bolero Snort beer, yet. Would like to see them succeed, though.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  27. DrStiffington

Oh yeah and I also enjoyed the new kolsch in the bomber.

TheGent and Dreamer57 like this.
  28. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (129) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Thought the kolsch was really enjoyable too

29. MattyBlayze

MattyBlayze Initiate (38) Nov 3, 2015 New Jersey

What was the last thing you had from them? As others have stated, they, deservedly, get a bum rap for a lot of their early stuff, but ever since January, I think they've been on fire. I still have them on a short leash, but now I try to get every new thing they release. OVB is always good, Lemon Bullringue is very good, I actually liked Kow Lime Pie more, Variabull and Rotatabull have both been good to very good, and AppBull PiePA ala Mode sounds like it could be a really fun fall seasonal.

I've also heard that they're changing the brewery for Bergen County Bull Stout and that all the recipes are getting turned up to 11 so I'm excited about that.

JRGNYR and DrStiffington like this.
  30. Lesak87

Lesak87 Initiate (51) Mar 26, 2015 New Jersey

I was recently talking to someone who owns and operates a brewery in NJ. He knows quite a bit about the stiff ABC rules/regulations in the Garden State and somehow Bolero Snort came up. The big thing I took away from our chat was him basically saying BS might not legally be able to brew/pour their contract-brewed beers (OVB, Lemon Bullringue, etc.) in the new facility because they were originally brewed at another location. They would still be able to distribute cans to retail, but basically they can't legally feature previously made contract-brews in the new place.

Again, his reasoning was a lot more intuitive and he explained things much better than I ever could. I'm a big supporter of BS and wish them nothing, but the best. Just figured I'd share this. If anybody with a good knowledge of the rulebook regarding brewery legislation in NJ could shed more light on this I'd appreciate it.

31. BeerFan

BeerFan Initiate (144) Feb 11, 2003 New Jersey

I also had a conversation (not about BS) with an owner/operator and it sounded like the beer has to be brewed on premises to be poured on premises.

32. kthoag

Trader

So even if it was originally brewed elsewhere, as long as the batch being poured was brewed on site, we're cool?

Anyone want to speak to a possible BS physical location? Timelines, locations, etc?

33. RJIV

RJIV Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2015 New Jersey

I think they are already brewing at two places (High Point and Dark City).

Until they get their own place or dedicated, controlled barreling space in a brewery, I am going to be staying away from the barrel aged offerings.

All of the new beers they have brewed that aren't barrel aged I have been very impressed with. I'm glad to see the distribution growing again.

34. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (170) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Trader

have one of each of last years Bergen County still.. curious to see how they are when i pop them all for football season

35. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (1,924) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium

Same here. I remember buying a 6-pack a few years ago and when I got home I realized that the bottles were almost completely filled to the top with no headspace for air. The beers poured flat. Their 6-pack prices were on the pricey side and I didn't feel like gambling on them again. I'm always willing to give breweries a second chance though so maybe it's time.

36. kthoag

Trader

ApBull PiePA a la mode was brewed and canned at Double Nickle. Source: the can label

37. RJIV

RJIV Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2015 New Jersey

Guess it is up to 3 (4 if you include their recent collaboration). If you had it, how did you like ApBull PiePA a la mode? Deciding whether to grab this or head to Magnify tomorrow - although I'll probably cave and get both...

38. kthoag

Trader

Definitely worth a 4pk but a beer like this might be too young to judge right now. I thought it was a solid, fall-spiced IPA with some apple notes, but I didn't get the lactose or the graham cracker crust that I get in Lemon Bullringue. Excited to see what happened to it. I understand your pain! Magnify, Greenpoint, Interboro, Other Half . . . . I only have so much time and money!

39. DrStiffington

Yeah. I bought a 4 pack of this (apple pie-ish) and also got the new Magnify brews AND going to OH tomorrow after my son's football game. Lucky to have a craft-loving wife. Too much good beer around!

40. Northlax3

Northlax3 Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey

Does anyone know the contract details of any brewery that contract brews? not specific numbers of anything but more so how it works. Does the physical brewery get a percent profit from the sale of the beer or just a flat fee for allowing the brewery to use your equipment?